OEM parts gurus - dimensions/pics of stock rear muffler 1978 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got a 78 with complete original exhaust sitting in my garage with the body off if you need more pics. Hopefully body won't be off forever so this is a limited time offer. Believe it's got all original mounts.

I've got a 78 with complete original exhaust sitting in my garage with the body off if you need more pics. Hopefully body won't be off forever so this is a limited time offer. Believe it's got all original mounts.

Fantastic. I still have my original front section (header to under front door area) but if you are able to post a few images of the centre join to rear muffler it would be great. Particularly the two rear mounts.

It would also be most helpful to have a 'reference measurement' of where the muffler sits in that rear void area. Eg - distances from a couple of fixed chassis points.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I will need to position the muffler and make new mounts to suit, and I would like it positioned as accurately as possible.

Last edited:
Pics as requested

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Believe it's all original with the exception of the outlet pipe which I had remade because it was bent.
Let me know if you need dimensions.

Many thanks for the detailed pics! An excellent reference!

Great!!!

I'm guessing I should be able to mount this on my 1977 (I will have the pipe from header to muffler fabricated)?

Also, will there be any problem using stock muffler with Downey header(I know I will not go any performance gains)?

Jeff

Yes they are sir. I have one in stock.

Does anyone have a picture of the 1/79+ bracket at the right rear frame rail that used as a hanger? My 79 has a aftermarket muffler and hanger. The pipe from the CAT has the flange cut off at the muffler but have a flange and length of pipe from a 60 series that should work for that end.

Any know how difficult would it be to mount the '79 muffler (with it's 3 bolt flange) on the '78 (with it's 4 bolt flange). I have no welding tools and was wondering if there some type of adapter...or if I just need to take it to a shop and have some welding done.

Thanks..

Is the muffler and tailpipe still available for the 1977 FJ40? My son came home from mountain biking and said something was wrong. Sounded like my daughter's 1968 Impala with side pipes! Sure enough, muffler gone but tail pipe still there. Looking to keep it all original. Thanks.

77 would be the same as 78 which is NLA. 79+ is but needs some mods to work.

It seems to be a common occurrence "don't know what happened" dad. My kids when younger were the same. All mine are mid to late thirties now. Unless yours had rust issue you probably already knew about a muffler doesn't just fall off. And when it did fall off you would know by the sound difference. Always planned on giving my 68 which I've had for forty-four years to my son. Because I know he would destroy it in short order and sell if he knew what it was worth he will have to wait until I die to get it.

Could this muffler part be used as part of a system for a 1971 FJ40? Are the mufflers the same size?
there is an earlier muffler available(or was) I forget what its listed for but if I remember it was smaller in diameter and painted black, and was cheap($50?). it also didn't have the tailpipe like the latter model, just a short pipe with flange. Id go take a pic but its really buried in my shop attic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom