KDSS rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This and/or the LX I believe is what I heard. Urban legend tho, I have no proof.

That's my memory too. I good hint might be whether there is a similar wire on the passenger side... I just went to looked (an accomplishment for my gimpy self!) and didn't find one...

**I was kinda hoping it was an actuator for an "Annoying-Passenger EJECTION SEAT" option... :hillbilly:

Ejection Seat.jpg

Last edited:
Another thought was that it might be for the LX's suspension.......it goes up....it goes down...it goes up...it goes down.....

Old thread but i appreciate learning. Pictures from my 2015 cpo purchased today . I asked them to wire brush and grease. I had to show the mechanics where the valves were.

20180301_101915.jpg

20180301_102418.jpg

20180301_102642.jpg

Did you ask them to try and crack open the valves? No more than a couple turns of course. If they can't get them open have them deal w/ it before you take the truck.

The mechanic said that he has never turned the valve, and that you are not supposed to mess with them. Thanks to ih8mud, I know that you are supposed to be able to turn them.

Since I bought the warranty, I will work on some options. I wish I had a lift!

That lazy ass tech should have wire wheeled the rest of the valve body if only to be a shining star for you.

To follow Jimmy Cricket's reminder... :hillbilly:

-For those unfamiliar, this is super easy to check and protect.

It's on the driver's side, just under the body a bit past your running boards or sliders near the passenger door.

See here to locate if you've never looked at them...Marine grease works well...

View attachment 1402447 View attachment 1402448
Any one figure out how to get that wire of the cover. I am having a hell of a time removing it.

Any one figure out how to get that wire of the cover. I am having a hell of a time removing it.

It is on tight, but removes like any connector.

Would fluid film be a sufficient application for this? Or should I cake grease on there

Would fluid film be a sufficient application for this? Or should I cake grease on there
Both! I greased the screws and Fluid Filmed the whole valve body, etc.

LPS3

Literally designed to stick to surfaces and prevent corrosion in the aircraft industry. And it doesn’t make a mess.

Put my LPS3 on the KDSS valves today. Mine is a 2018 that I bought with 1555 miles on it so I wasn't expecting much rust as the car was less than a year old. There was an extremely thin coating of light rust that came off quickly with a wire brush. I sprayed the LPS3 coating in two applications waiting 20 minutes between each coat. I didn't loosen the two small valve screws for fear of mucking something up and given that the car was less than a year old.

I could not unscrew my frozen KDSS. Wrench broke and it is beyond salvage. Question is: does anyone please have actual experience with having the KDSS repaired in a Toyota dealership? I talked to two: one repeatedly told me not to mess with it, since KDSS system is working (and I do not have immediate need to release valves) and other one acted like they never heard about it. These are large Toyota dealerships and busy service departments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom