FJ60 Distributor in '76 FJ40 - Confirm It's this Easy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Here's my plan:

1) With the '76 2F as it sits, remove the distributor cap and mark the orientation of the rotor.

2) Remove the distributor.

3) Replace the side cover with an FJ60 side cover.

4) Note the orientation of the oil pump slot (might as well).

5) Install the FJ60 distributor so that the rotor points to the same spot as the rotor on the original distributor.

Is it really this simple to get the distributor oriented correctly?

I can always do it the "hard" way by removing the valve cover and rotating the engine so the pointer in the timing window lines up with the scribed line on the flywheel, and verify #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke by looking at the position of the intake and exhaust valves. Then install the FJ60 distributor so it's oriented correctly per the normal procedure.

Or you could bump the starter until you see the bb, and use the dizzy orientation AND timing marks.

Remember that rotor position is relative to cap position, and it is often the case that the 60 dizzy will require a different orientation to clear other components in the area.

Side cover left yesterday.

Best

Mark

Last edited:
It was that easy on my 1980; even the plug on the distributor harness plugged right in to my existing harness.

I didn't worry about marking the rotor direction, I just re-timed it from scratch as per the FSM.

Oryu could bump the starte until you see the bb, and use the dizzy orientation AND timing marks.

Remember that rotor position is relative to cap position, and it is often the case that the 60 dizzy will require a different orientation to clear other components in the area.

Side cover left yesterday.

Best

Mark
The side cover and FJ40 mirrors arrived this afternoon - great job of packaging! Hopefully it'll be a little warmer out tomorrow (high today was 35 with a stiff breeze all day) so I can get in some good work. I'd like to clean and paint the side cover and install the new rectangular mirrors. And I've still got a lot of work to do on the '86 FJ60 project vehicle - right now I'm working in the rear cargo area, starting to put in the wiring I'm moving over from the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle.

You probably know this but Gasgacinch sealant helps with side covet gasket ease of installation. I believe it was a post by Poser where I first saw it recommended.

And corresponding ignitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom