what's the deepest water you have taken your 100 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am curious how deep a river or water people have crossed with a snorkeled cruiser. I'm wondering when the electronics will go wiggy .

Last edited:
Over the hood. Hence snorkel on mine. Just don't sit in the deep. I've had it above the door sill. Carpet got damp. Fan made a mess under the hood. I won't got that deep again.

I saw one where the guy took a diesel 12' underwater using scuba tanks and crossed a pond

Clean fresh water (not salt water) will do little harm to the electronics in my experience. What wrecks everything else is the muddy/silty/sandy water that destroys bearings, alternators, etc.

I have to cross two rivers in Russia where depending on snow and runoff can be 5' and even 6 ' in deep in places and 30 yards across at crossing areas. We will have 3 vehicles. Once we get one across we can winch if necessary.

yeah.....that was an old 40

About 3-1/2 feet, it was up to the hood. It was a fairly quick crossing however. I've driven down some flooded roads that got up to 2 to 2-1/2 feet.

thanks.....I think I am going to just have to test ome. The russian guys run then through some very deep places .
Some seem to be like my iphone. I can drop it in the commode let it dry and it works fine

Last edited:
The fording depth spec for a stock 100 is 34". I don't know how much a snorkel adds, if any. From reports of goofy electrical problems from windshield leaks, I'd say water does affect electronics, especially if it gets into fuse boxes.

Thanks. I was wondering what th spec is. I think some peole just get lucky (like my iphone)
I have seen some Russians give it hell going through some deep stuff in 100's and 200's.
When you are at 3' that is well into the bottom of the dash seems to me, More or less depending on tires and lift.

Wonder what specs are for an 80?

It's often less about the depth of the water an more about how you move through it. If you stop in 2' of water, you're going to have a lot of problems. If you keep a steady speed - like 5 mph - through the water, you'd likely be fine with water over the hood. Sometimes the river/lake bottom and currents get in the way of that plan.

The front of the truck - bumper, grille, radiator - will create a bow wake. The water level behind that "wall" ends up being much lower. I've had water (not in the 100) parted by the windshield, and the firewall stayed dry.

Regarding the fan... Best case: the fan throws water all over the engine bay. Worst case, the shape of the fan blades can cause them to scoop water, flex and strike the radiator. Either way, if you're in deep water a lot, changing from a belt-driven to an electric fan with a toggled on/off switch might be a good idea. I did this on a truck a while back and it worked great. Heading into deep water, I'd turn the fan off, cross the water... forget to turn it on, see the temp gauge head into the red... I mean, I'd turn the fan on as I emerged from the water.

Last edited:
Related: There is an interesting video on Youtube where a us gas 100 crosses a water body such that water is up to the windshield. That is the carefully chosen speed (which was rather fast) kept the engine bay water low enough (due to bow wave).

This was about a 10-15s crossing.

With a running rig on the other bank, there was some B & M about passenger side carpet being wet (I would kind of expect that personally). the poster traced the water intrusion to the air conditioner condenser drain hose which is low on the firewall on passenger side. He crafted a breather set up (similare to diff breathers), which solved problem (i'm inferring that).

Search youtube under uz100 water crossing, I'm hoping it would pop on that search term.

I would "Think"? You would need to change all the driveline fluids anytime it went deep enough to submerge the driveline. Do you guys always change your fluids after taking the Beast for a swim?

I would "Think"? You would need to change all the driveline fluids anytime it went deep enough to submerge the driveline. Do you guys always change your fluids after taking the Beast for a swim?
This is the reason most avid off-roaders extend their diff breathers. The seals will do their job, but a hot diff going instantly into cool water will create a pressure difference. If the breather is not high enough to where its out of the water, it will just suck in water. Same thing goes if the breather is clogged, then the seals are more likely to go.

This is the reason most avid off-roaders extend their diff breathers. The seals will do their job, but a hot diff going instantly into cool water will create a pressure difference. If the breather is not high enough to where its out of the water, it will just suck in water. Same thing goes if the breather is clogged, then the seals are more likely to go.

how do you extend a dif fbreather roof high. I have never see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom