Looking for advice on first Land Cruiser purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm brand new to the site and looking for a little advice on possibly purchasing a vehicle. I know there are a ton of experts here. So, it seemed like a good place to look. I currently have a 2005 4Runner with 160,000 miles. It's a great vehicle and I could keep driving it for a long time. I had a 1999 4Runner before this one.

Since I've driven 4Runners for the last 13 years, I would like to try something different and a little more interesting. However, I don't really want to spend a lot of money over what I could sell my current vehicle for. Based on the local market and the options of my vehicle, I believe I could get up to $12,000 for my 4Runner (please just assume this for the sake of my question). I wouldn't mind spending a reasonable amount more than that on a new rig ($4-5,000), but I like not having a car payment and realize I will probably have to spend more on maintenance and repairs than I currently do (which as I am sure you all know is very little).

I think I would like a 1980s Land Cruiser (I could be swayed). But it seems like there are so many different body styles and engines available that I don't know where to start. I don't need something perfect, but I would like it to start most of the time. I am probably looking more for it to have some personality than to be a collector's item. I am not well experienced with do-it-yourself mechanics. But I can research and figure out a lot of things, too (but in truth would probably just use my Toyota guy). I also think I would prefer a manual transmission. Gas or diesel? Turbo or not? Are imported styles like the LJ79 advisable?

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can lend!

Nice budget... You can get a well built cruiser for $16k-$17k. I'm gonna watch this thread to see what the peanut gallery has to say.

I will say that if your looking atan 80's era vehicle, you're going to want to become a little more comfortable with a wrench.

Factory Service Manuals are available for free to download on this site. They are easy to follow and will guide you through any repair. The hardest challenge to conquer, is the one between your ears. With a little confidence and the help of this forum... there really isn't anything you can't handle on your own.

Your budget will allow you to buy a Cruiser that's been well maintained or even completely rebuilt. You can also look for one that has had a V8 swap. There's plenty of options for you.

You mentioned importing too. That opens up an entire world of additional possibilities. Don't overlook some of the other Series out there (like the 70's).

Let us know a little more about your needs too. Are you daily driving? Kid hauler? How much off-road do you need? Camping? Hunting? Etc...

Good luck buddy. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Thanks for the pointers! Those are great. Also good follow up questions.

I will be driving the car to work (about 4 miles each way) and a little on the weekends. My kids (little ones) will ride in it some but not much. My wife's vehicle (2015 VW Touareg) is the primary kid hauler and really the vehicle we will put the majority of our miles on.

I will use the vehicle for some climbing/camping trips. But anything more than 6 hours away, we will probably use the VW. I don't really need much off-road capability to be honest. While it's a nice capability to have, I usually make those kinds of approaches on foot.

Thanks again!

From what you've told us, a 60-Series Land Cruiser would fit well.
Your commute is negligible, so the crappy gas mileage doesn't factor in. Plus, you have the other vehicle for longer trips where comfort, safety, and mileage are a factor.
You, sir, are an ideal candidate for a 60-Series Land Cruiser. It comes down to preferences like manual or automatic transmission, carbs or fuel injected, and so on.
If we can provide any further buying advice, please don't hesitate to ask. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

From what you've told us, a 60-Series Land Cruiser would fit well.
Your commute is negligible, so the crappy gas mileage doesn't factor in. Plus, you have the other vehicle for longer trips where comfort, safety, and mileage are a factor.
You, sir, are an ideal candidate for a 60-Series Land Cruiser. It comes down to preferences like manual or automatic transmission, carbs or fuel injected, and so on.
If we can provide any further buying advice, please don't hesitate to ask. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.
Thanks! I love the confidence inspiring advice. So which vehicles are going to have carburetor versus fuel injection in the 60 series?

Thanks! I love the confidence inspiring advice. So which vehicles are going to have carburetor versus fuel injection in the 60 series?

Earlier models (1980-1987) FJ60's have carbs, crank windows, manual mirrors, manual trans, etc . Later ones, FJ62s have fuel injection and power accessories (windows, mirrors, locks), automatic trans.

Yep... what BCG said. From what you've said so far, it sounds like you want a 60 and not a 62.

A 60 is the earlier model with standard transmissions, round headlights, and carb'd engines. They also have manual windows and locks. Completely old school.

A 62 is basically the same body style, but with square headlights as the only major cosmetic difference. A 62 will have an automatic transmission, fuel injection, and power windows and locks.

Most guys prefer the manual transmission, the retro round headlights, and old fashioned hand cranked windows of the 60. However, others really like the fuel injection offered by the 62.

Another big plus for you is that a 62 will have three point seat belts in the back for your kids. The 60 does not.

For the most part, it's all personal preference. You won't go wrong choosing either one. You can also create a hybrid of the best features of both models, if you're willing to modify your truck. For instance, you can drop a 5-speed manual transmission into a 62 and then covert to round headlights.

Your budget allows you to be a little more choosy when it comes to prospective candidates for purchase. You can have a little bit of a wish list.

The most important thing, is to look for a Cruiser that is rust free. Look south and west of the rust belt for your truck.

For 12-15k, you should be able to find a completely "built" rig with bumpers, lift kits, oversized tires, racks, etc... the paint should also be a 8/10 or 9/10 at this price point. Most major maintenance items should have already been recently completed, but may still require moderate maintenance projects like valve adjustments, knuckles, seals, etc...

Many neglect the interior when they build out their trucks, but I think at this price point, you should be able to find a truck that has had the interior restored at least somewhat... if your patient and can wait for the right Cruiser to come along.

In the $15k-$17k range, you should be able to find a very pristine built Cruiser. Possibly even a one with a rebuilt motor or even a fresh motor swap to a V8 for example. The paint should be a 9/10 or even completely fresh and the interior should be restored, seats reupholstered and the headliner refreshed or new.

I would look for most major and moderate maintenance items to be already completed at this price. You should feel confident enough to jump in the cruiser and drive across the country. You shouldn't have to worry about cooling issues, or mechanical breakdowns for a while. However, even a truck in this price range, will require regular maintenance to stay ahead of any problems.

Finally, for around $20k.... you can have my cruiser. ;)

Good luck my friend.

Same info but with pictures. Everybody loves pictures.

FJ60 (1980-1987) manual transmission (usually a 4 spd), round headlights, manual locks/windows/mirrors, square dash
1986-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ60-Silver-For-Sale-Front.jpg

00707_32QWOk0rWdV_600x450.jpg

full

FJ62 (1988-1990) automatic trans (it's a slug), square headlights, 99% of the time electric windows/locks/mirrors, more modern dash
maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

coolfj40_2270_139664084

Last edited:
The LJ79 is a cruiser built for developing countries. The Red Cross owned quite a few, they used them in mountainous areas where hwy performance wasn't a priority but where soft coil suspension was. It has the 3L 2.8 litre and sometimes has a 4sp.

I'm not sure how you would deal with parts, some can be bought at the dealer in North America and others will have to be imported.
The engine is in wide usage throughout the world in Hiace/Dyna and Hilux .
A bonus if you can source a LHD 5sp

They can look pretty good with a few accessories

1991-toyota-land-cruiser-ii-fj70-241.jpg

Last edited:
FJ62 with a 5 speed transmission would be a great choice....

Good luck...!!!

Be really particular about the condition of the frame and body; I think I'd almost rather sort through some mechanical issues than deal with a rusty body/frame. This forum can get you through the wrench turning. Your price range should allow you to be fairly picky so take your time and get the nicest truck in your budget.

I bought a very nice looking cruiser that had been re-sprayed only to have rust bubble up a year later :bang::bang::bang:

It was my fault for not being more exacting in my assessment of the body and the respray. Knowing what I know now, I would have walked on this cruiser and found a different one.

Best of luck in your search. Be sure to come back and post pics of your new cruiser when you find it!

Some very good advice given here and like everyone says... it really comes down to whether YOU want a poverty package (manual everything) with Round Headlights or the more updated "luxury" version with power everything (EFI included) and rectangular headlights.

The other option that you have it to pick up a "cheapish" truck that has a sound body and frame but possibly bad drivetrain and then do a V8 or diesel swap. Lots of guys on here end up swapping in the LS3 Vortec engines with great results. Then from there you are getting somewhat the best of both worlds, more modern engine and fuel economy AND power with the more vintage/classic styling of the Land Cruiser that made them famous. This would be close to your current budget possibly slightly over but doable.

Thanks everyone. This really helpful information and not something that is ready available just by searching the web. Keep the advice coming!

Some very good advice given here and like everyone says... it really comes down to whether YOU want a poverty package (manual everything) with Round Headlights or the more updated "luxury" version with power everything (EFI included) and rectangular headlights.

The other option that you have it to pick up a "cheapish" truck that has a sound body and frame but possibly bad drivetrain and then do a V8 or diesel swap. Lots of guys on here end up swapping in the LS3 Vortec engines with great results. Then from there you are getting somewhat the best of both worlds, more modern engine and fuel economy AND power with the more vintage/classic styling of the Land Cruiser that made them famous. This would be close to your current budget possibly slightly over but doable.
What do you think the cost range is on a diesel engine swap?

Subject to a thorough assessment of the

I think this might be along the lines of what you seek?

Definitely a plus to have so much history on a rig.

For Sale - 1984 FJ60 Overland RestoMod in SC
That looks like a pretty nice ride and would leave me some extra cash to save for maintenance and repairs. What do you think of the amount of rust in the pictures? I know opinions will vary, but is that an acceptable amount? I don't think I could pull the trigger quickly enough to purchase that particular vehicle. But this seems like a good learning oppurtunity.

That looks like a pretty nice ride and would leave me some extra cash to save for maintenance and repairs. What do you think of the amount of rust in the pictures? I know opinions will vary, but is that an acceptable amount? I don't think I could pull the trigger quickly enough to purchase that particular vehicle. But this seems like a good learning oppurtunity.

You cannot assess rust in a pic. IMO unfortunately. Depending on where that particular vehicle is in SC there are some great local resources there who could look at it for you. Again one of my reasons for posting it to you is its well documented life, well recent life/build at least. IMO that is a major plus. If its not the one for you due to timing etc. that's understandable. With these vehicles I have found you have to really think about what you want to use it for and how you want to care for it while you have it. If you want to learn to work on them yourself there is probably no better place to start than with the original engine etc. All the information and help you need is here. Something to consider.

You cannot assess rust in a pic. IMO unfortunately. Depending on where that particular vehicle is in SC there are some great local resources there who could look at it for you. Again one of my reasons for posting it to you is its well documented life, well recent life/build at least. IMO that is a major plus. If its not the one for you due to timing etc. that's understandable. With these vehicles I have found you have to really think about what you want to use it for and how you want to care for it while you have it. If you want to learn to work on them yourself there is probably no better place to start than with the original engine etc. All the information and help you need is here. Something to consider.
That makes sense. Thanks again.

Some very good advice already stated in this thread already. I'll add my two cents worth.

First and foremost, we are talking about vehicles that are at a minimum 28 years old. There are already a good amount of original parts that are no longer available for these vehicles. The up side of that is that there are more aftermarket companies stepping up to fill in the gaps and then some.

It does not matter what specific truck you purchase, it will need work of some sort just like any vehicle. Over all these vehicles are pretty basic and a good platform to start learning the basics. Hooking up with a local LC club will help you find those willing to help you out.

Keep in mind that most of these trucks are running around on original engines with over 200K miles on them. They can continue on for a long time if well maintained but at some point will need an overhaul or some sort of swap.

I'd shop for the best body then frame you can find, the rest is cheaper and easier to deal with in the long run. Good luck with your search and welcome to the sickness. No cure that I am aware of. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom