FJ40 VIN number (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to buy a FJ40 without a title. The seller says he never had one when they found it 9 years ago. The vin number is a 10 diget. How do I go about getting a new title with a 10 digit Vin Number ?

You need to take the VIN down to your local DMV fill out some forms pay some money, get vehicle inspected and that should do it. Keep in mind every state in the union play with different rules, however, in any case start with the DMV.

I am about to buy a FJ40 without a title. The seller says he never had one when they found it 9 years ago. The vin number is a 10 diget. How do I go about getting a new title with a 10 digit Vin Number ?

I would strongly suggest finding the answer for this question in the state you live in from someone who works for that state in it's vehicle licensing department before you buy anything.

In Washington, I purchased the shell of a '71 with a bill of sale (no title) with an explanation from them of taking it to the state patrol to be inspected and then getting a license. When I called the state patrol (for the 10th time finally actually speaking to someone) they informed me that I had to bring the vehicle totally assembled and running with receipts for every single part I installed.... little details sellers sometimes leave out, if they are aware of them... After all, if it was so easy, why didn't they do it? It's certainly going to be worth more with a title?

I would strongly suggest finding the answer for this question in the state you live in from someone who works for that state in it's vehicle licensing department before you buy anything.

In Washington, I purchased the shell of a '71 with a bill of sale (no title) with an explanation from them of taking it to the state patrol to be inspected and then getting a license. When I called the state patrol (for the 10th time finally actually speaking to someone) they informed me that I had to bring the vehicle totally assembled and running with receipts for every single part I installed.

+1

I've no idea of the licensing practices in Idaho but Washington does seem to have an intent interest in preventing the assembly of possibly stolen parts of vehicles into operable/titled vehicles.

I think that a wise move would be to familiarize yourself with your state's requirements before plunking down money for an untitled vehicle.

In Washington, I purchased the shell of a '71 with a bill of sale (no title) with an explanation from them of taking it to the state patrol to be inspected and then getting a license. When I called the state patrol (for the 10th time finally actually speaking to someone) they informed me that I had to bring the vehicle totally assembled and running with receipts for every single part I installed.... little details sellers sometimes leave out, if they are aware of them... After all, if it was so easy, why didn't they do it? It's certainly going to be worth more with a title?
Thank you for the info. I did take the chance and have sent out the required paperwork. I plan to wait before I sink to much money into it.

Howdy all, newbie to the forum, with a mispelled screen name... LOL.

Anyways, I am having a heck of a time tracking down specifics on my 1966 FJ40. I've researched the numbers off parts of the engine, frame and have a clean title with VIN. But, can anyone help me out on decoding the numbers below with dates? Also, the most important question, how in the world do you find the paint code for a 1966? My firewall plate doesn't exist, someone took it off. This is a rough fj40 right now I just bought, just trying to decode the rig before restoration begins. Thanks so much in advance for any help! Cheers

Numbers I have found:

Left Engine Block = 50112 / 49
Right Engine Block = F206359
Manifold = 17111-60020
Frame = FJ40-37687

1965/January/12th engine was cast

F206359 is the engine number ... looks to be original engine

Vin equates to 8/65 build date

To find the paint you will need to find an Undisturbed part of the cruiser and compair to our colors found on mud

1965/January/12th engine was cast

F206359 is the engine number ... looks to be original engine

Vin equates to 8/65 build date

To find the paint you will need to find an Undisturbed part of the cruiser and compair to our colors found on mud

Rock on thanks Johnny C! I'll look for the most virgin part on it for true color. Firewall seems to be least disturbed, it's tan.

Look way up under the dash or the back side of it, or the roof of the glove box

VIN=Vehicle Identification Number

So therefore by saying "VIN Number" you are saying........"Vehicle Identification Number Number"

Pet Peeve - Rant off
Thank you

Dyno

Gotcha on VIN. Question: I've tracked down two colors I think could be the original colors. Either a light tan, or light blue.
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom