Check engine VSCtrac VSC off lights on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2004 had this happen this week. The dealership looked at it and it was from the VSV Purge Valve and potentially also the gas cap gasket. I had them replace the valve and I will deal with the gas cap gasket. Cost roughly $250 to resolve.

I had the same issue with my 04 LC. VSC off and Traction Off go on when Check Engine goes on (this is what I was told). Replaced charcoal canister (around $400) and one of the sensors in evaporation system (around $150) - both for free under extended warranty. Please search this forum using my user name for more details on my trouble codes and history of resolution.
These 3 lights together (VSC off and Traction Off go on when Check Engine light) mean a leaky seal at the gas cap. It's happened twice to me, simply turn vehicle off, remove cap and reinstall more securely. This usually happens after the metal filler neck cools in freezing weather and contracts.
The 2 lights extinguish after the leak has been resolved upon next startup.the check engine needs to be cleared with a code reader.

These 3 lights together (VSC off and Traction Off go on when Check Engine light) mean a leaky seal at the gas cap. It's happened twice to me, simply turn vehicle off, remove cap and reinstall more securely. This usually happens after the metal filler neck cools in freezing weather and contracts.
The 2 lights extinguish after the leak has been resolved upon next startup.the check engine needs to be cleared with a code reader.
yep. Same thing happened when my kid drove it and filled tank without tightening the gas cap. After yelling at my dear innocent child for breaking the car, I did a search and found the answer on Mud.

This light show is a real common occurrence on the 3rd gen 4Runners, which are the same vintage as the 100 series.

Depending on the code, this can be caused by a dirty MAF sensor. Dunno if the 100 has a similar MAF setup, but if so it's also an easy fix.

Cleaning your maf sensor should be part of your regular routine maintenance. At least once a year, spray it out. Funny, my light came on today and I found out that a gallon of lacquer thinner and a half tank of premium gas works wonders. Drive a 100 miles on that tank clears up most cel problems. I'm a firm believer

The multiple lights can come on for a number of CEL codes.

Well I had multiple misfires, scan tool saying both o2 sensors were bad, both catalytic converters bad. Very rough idle & was losing power. That's when I ran across some videos about using a gallon of lacquer thinner then filling up the tank to the half full line. The drive a 100 miles on that mixture.

Today is Friday Feb 24th & I poured the lacquer thinner in my truck tank 2 days ago. After driving around all my misfires stop, cel went out. Put back on the scanner everything's in the green. Truck back to normal. It works fam.

Today is Friday Feb 24th & I poured the lacquer thinner in my truck tank 2 days ago. After driving around all my misfires stop, cel went out. Put back on the scanner everything's in the green. Truck back to normal. It works fam.
Ill throw in my $.02. Ive heard about the lacquer thinner trick for a while now and I personally do not think its a good idea. Very little of the fuel system now a days is metal, the rest is mostly plastic or rubber. I have seen some plastics melt when in contact with lacquer thinner, and with plastic parts in the fuel pump assembly in the tank, thats just asking for damage. It is an incredibly strong solvent.

So did it solve your problem currently? Yes. Did it break down components? Who knows. Both those answers can change with time.

Forgot to mention that my cel was also flashing/blinking repeadiatel
Ill throw in my $.02. Ive heard about the lacquer thinner trick for a while now and I personally do not think its a good idea. Very little of the fuel system now a days is metal, the rest is mostly plastic or rubber. I have seen some plastics melt when in contact with lacquer thinner, and with plastic parts in the fuel pump assembly in the tank, thats just asking for damage. It is an incredibly strong solvent.

So did it solve your problem currently? Yes. Did it break down components? Who knows. Both those answers can change with time.

Yes my problem is gone. Runs like a champ now. I know about lacquer thinner and how it melts certain plastics. Been working with lacquer thinner for yrs. I just know it solved my problem

I also seen a video of how they would take an old catalytic converter & purge it thru this hi pressure water & solution to clean it. Then spray paint it, wrap it in bubble wrap and ready for resale.

For what I did was wait until my trip meter say I have less than 5 miles to empty. I poured the lacquer thinner in the tank and added like a half a tank of premium gas. Drove around until I emptied out that mixture, says drive 100 miles on it. The refilled with premium fuel. All my symptoms went away. You gotta burn that mixture out. I also have this intake cleaning device that I poured seafoam into. Used a brick on the accelerator to keep the truck revved up to 2000rpm. The engine vacuum slowly sucked the seafoam into the intake. Carbon deposit exit out the exhaust. Did that until it ran empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom