40th Anniversary Edition gets a 5 speed with 1FZ-FE and OBD-II (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sbman

Supporting Vendor
Threads
It begins...

The long and arduous journey of converting my beloved FZJ80 to a glorious five speed.

I've owned this cruiser for two years, rebuilt the engine before I ever drove it even once. H have since put 30K miles on the fresh 1FZ-FE with the automatic slush box. I love the cruiser, hate the tranny.

This will be a long post with lots of photos and details and I'm sure it will take a few months to complete. I plan to do as much ahead of time as I can so the actual swap won't take more than a weekend to get it on the road with possible fit and finish stuff to deal with later. I will have to solve the MIL light with transmission code to pass California smog so I'll be doing a lot of work on that to make it happen somehow, I don't know how yet. My smog is due next month, so it's getting it's final smog with the automatic next month and then I'll have two years to figure it out before the next one.

The first step, and possibly the most difficult part, acquiring the parts! Thanks to @FloridaFJ80 for bringing a beautiful, used H151F back from Columbia, bringing the pedals and accessories, and shipping it to San Diego for me! If you want pricing on that, ask him directly please! I've had it for a while now and am finally ready to get going on it.

IMG_20170223_190116-XL.jpg

IMG_20170223_190016-XL.jpg

IMG_20170223_190139-XL.jpg

The first order of business is to rebuild everything and collect any missing parts. I need to acquire rebuild kits for the master cylinder, slave cylinder and the H151F itself. I plan to rebuild it myself, I'll take lots of pictures.

I know I'm in need of at least the following:

• Master cylinder o-rings
  • Slave cylinder o-rings
  • New release bearing
  • New friction disk
  • Clutch switch for electrical connections
  • Rebuild kit for H151F (bearings and synchros)
  • The pin and clip that attaches clutch pedal to slave cylinder
  • Shift boot(s) for tunnel

I also need to have two OEM shafts modified to the proper lengths, so a couple of used drive shafts to do this two are in order. Anyone in southern California have some drive shafts they would part with?

What site do people use to look up part diagrams for non-usa cruiser stuff?

I believe these are the OEM parts I need. These part numbers are NOT verified at this point.

Clutch Release Bearing: 31230-60151
Pressure Plate/Clutch Cover: 31210-60160 (Aisin CTX109)
Friction Disc: 31250-0W031
Pilot Bearing: 90363-15017
Clutch Pedal Clevis Pin: 90249-08018
Clutch Pedal Clevis Pin Bushing: 90386-08033
Clevis Pin Clip: 90468-16142
Cylinder Kit, Master Cylinder: 043116-0100
Cylinder Kit, Clutch Release: 043136-0110

I will inspect the clutch components I have and may use them initially if they look good. the parts don't look very worn are very worn and I don't think this unit had a lot of miles on it.

<EDIT> Should look at parts before I think not worn!

Last edited:
What site do people use to look up part diagrams for non-usa cruiser stuff?

I have found partsouq.com very useful. As far as I can tell, most models sold worldwide are listed in their database with exploded parts diagrams available. The trick is to find your particular model style#. You can filter searches by frame style or year of build and if you hold your cursor over the "Option S" listings a popup box will describe what a particular model came with (diesel/gas, auto/manual, hatch/barn doors, etc.). I have ordered parts from them before and they show up here stateside 3-4 days later by FedEx. Large orders ($500+) I have been hit with a customs duty but small items go right through. YMMV.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/pick?c=Toyota&model=LAND+CRUISER+80&ssd=$WiVLCwsF$

You're living the dream baby! May I have a test drive when you're finished?

:popcorn:

as soon as I think my 80 is almost done this website spawns something else. wtf... sorry but I cant help wanting a manual transmission now. maybe if I ever do my cummins swap I get an nv4500 or 3500 with an atlas2 xfercase... maybe Toyota diesel with this trans...

A343F Cruisers have a separate circuit for each position from the transmission gear indicator switch.

There is also some communication between the ECU/TCU and cruise computer (TC lockup status/control, throttle idle position, at least one of the transmission gear solenoids).. so there is potential for a bit of electronic "fun" in making this work seamlessly. I swapped a manual transmission into an automatic 4runner with the original diesel auto ECU.. and aside from an odd habit of cruise canceling and flashing the status light at me once every few weeks it worked well enough. But, that was OBDI.. not II. You may be in for a challenge if the readiness monitors on OBDII won't clear without the auto trans. I don't know if a manual ECU was ever made that will pass US OBDII emissions, if it comes to that.

Great project.

I think their is a possibility that if u left the Pringle switch on the harness in the neutral position u may get away with no check engine light. Likely it just gets a certain resistance from each shift position. So a resister may do the trick if u found neutral positions resistance.

A343F Cruisers have a separate circuit for each position from the transmission gear indicator switch.

There is also some communication between the ECU/TCU and cruise computer (TC lockup status/control, throttle idle position, at least one of the transmission gear solenoids).. so there is potential for a bit of electronic "fun" in making this work seamlessly....
Great project.

I've looked at the EWD extensively and I know what information the ECU has and what it can control as well as descriptions of how the system works by Toyota. The ECU isn't hooked up to the switch positions for P, D or N. The switches are wired up so that the ECU knows about R,2,1 or lack of R,2,1 selection, but the other positions only drive lights on the dash. I'm going to pull scope traces of any mysterious signals coming in or out of the transmission while I'm still driving the auto so I can apply electronic wizardry if necessary.

watching this, as a 5 speed would be a total dream of mine.........never gonna happen, BUT fun to watch.........

Subscribed. You may want to look at buying the correct ECU off of ebay Australia. Part souq or toyodiy will list the ecu for manual transmission by year. Smog may not be much of a deal other than figuring out your harness pin out.

Neat project.

Frankly I never would bother with a used clutch disc, and even the pressure plate is a wear item - so inadvertantly I think you got lucky.

Go in with new wear parts, you'll be $$$ ahead vs. going back in for a $100 disc & having to crack open the powertrain (but I'm somewhat lazy, I rather spend for new clutch parts so I have that peace of mind over time under the 80, or any vehicle really).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom