What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LS1FJ40 I find it personally gratifying to see you in an economy car after the eleventy-gajillion times you've posted "be a man and DD your 80" Economy car owners unite! :flipoff2:

@LS1FJ40 I find it personally gratifying to see you in an economy car after the eleventy-gajillion times you've posted "be a man and DD your 80" Economy car owners unite! :flipoff2:

I know. I know.

I'd like to point out that the whole reason I bought the Corolla is because of the 1FZ-FE...

You are going to drive that Corolla for the next while, before realizing that you actually prefer it to the LC.

Your motor swap will suddenly take longer and longer to complete as you are subconsciously delaying it so you continue to have an "excuse" to be driving a sedan.

Instead of dreaming about wheeling, you are going to dream about finding good parking spots at Sears.

Instead of lifts, bigger tires or roof racks you can start online shopping for fancy hub caps, flowery steering wheel covers and those obnoxious turtle decals that people get after they went to Hawaii once.

The end is near.

Shoot me now!

Weathered out yet another storm in our local mountains. Lost power on Monday, and still not on. Burning plenty of propane in the Generator, and web surfed at Peet's yesterday, as we have no cable/internet. Made it to work today, so full internet, woo hoo.

The weekend fun with the truck:
  • Washed the layers grime from two Tahoe trips and two months of driving, then let the downpours of rain rinse off the truck. Not that you would have noticed 30 minutes later after driving to town.
  • Tinkered more with the Diesel Injection Pump to get the fueling where I want it, as I upped the boost to 25PSI. :grinpimp:
  • Installed Christmas-Present Mud Flaps. These were not expensive, and only minor trimming and three holes to mount in the factory holes when you have a 4x4Labs bumper. With all of the mudslides and storms, anything helps. Easily trimmed with an Exacto, and really flexible.
full

full

• Installed a rear camera in anticipation of adding a new double-din headset. Ran the wiring all the way to the front, and have exactly three inches to spare! I wanted a stealth cam, and this definitely fits the bill. Interesting how the new black plates are green with the iPhone flash.
full
Nice plates! Good job on cracking 25psi too :beer:

Well, I never thought I'd do this:

Jumped on the "drive a cheapo lame a$$ car to not waste money on gas and wear and tear on my 80s".

1999 Corolla 75,312 miles, runs, AC blows cold, windows don't work (not sure why yet but will figure it out). $500.

It will be my DD while I swap motors on the 93. Then I will sell it to someone at work that needs a car and can't get financing or scrape together enough money to get a decent used car. (Plenty of those in retail who are just getting by and could use a break). The thing drives like new. Bought it from a girl that got it 3 years ago from her grandma that bought it new.

Man card officially revoked.

As I picked her up.

View attachment 1407840
I've had a sh!tbox for a while, makes extended jobs much easier when you don't have to worry about getting everything done by monday. You found a better one than me though, I paid $500 for mine, 91 ford laser (mazda 323 rebadged), 300somethingk on it, needed a new clutch and cv for rego, so on the road it cost me $1000, runs on the sniff of an oily rag (I exaggerate slightly, it gets about 8L/100km :)), insurance just cost me $80 for full comprehensive, and it's got no dents, good interior, cold AC and power steer. What more could you want?
IMAG1502.jpg

@LS1FJ40, I can see you trying to figure out how to put that spare 1fzfe in the Corolla. Is this your next move when your wife says she wants more cupholders?

TunedSienna-1200x630.jpg

Parts Run in the 80!! Needed a bunch of parts for my son's minitruck.

Today, my wife and I took a drive down to Low Range Offroad and picked up a bunch of stuff.
63" Chevy spring Kit (hangers, shackles, shackle hangers, ubolt flip)
3" Trail Gear front springs
Front ubolt flip
Ford shock towers
IFS steering box mount
Front spring hanger
Front axle truss
New mirrors
Marker lights
New rear shock mounts

Also picked up a couple used parts from some local guys.
'83 front axle housing. Needs lots of cleanup but it's straight and has the lower truss that mine doesn't.
Complete IFS rear axle with welded diff (won't be keeping the welded diff)
Longside front axle/birf
IFS Steering Box
DC front driveshaft.

All in all a good parts run. And it all fit in the back of the 80.

Today, my wife and I took a drive down to Low Range Offroad and picked up a bunch of stuff.
Front ubolt flip
Ford shock towers
IFS steering box mount
Front spring hanger
Front axle truss
New mirrors
Marker lights
New rear shock mounts

'83 front axle housing. Needs lots of cleanup but it's straight and has the lower truss that mine doesn't.
Longside front axle/birf
IFS Steering Box
DC front driveshaft.

I guess I'll be the first to say what you already know...bro, you married up! :rofl:

Further evidence that women are far superior to men!

19 hours in. Now I find I need to replace the timing belt slipper. Ugh. What a horrible design. Can I get the whole job done in less than 60 hours?

Leak was definitely at #6, and I've never seen a more messed up head gasket in my life. I don't know what the previous job used, but none of the cylinder holes in the gasket are round.

image.jpeg

Check out how non-round that gasket is.... (Leak path is upper right corner)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On the bright side, I was able to retrieve my 3/8 drive 3" extension that rolled off the top of the valve cover 2 years ago!

image.jpeg

Front ubolt flip
Ford shock towers
IFS steering box mount
Front spring hanger
Front axle truss
New mirrors
Marker lights
New rear shock mounts

Longside front axle/birf
IFS Steering Box
DC front driveshaft.

Will you be my Dad?:clap:

18 minutes. My time on front brake pad replacement. Getting older and slower I guess. Managed 16 minute time on a pad replacement on a trip down the WA, OR, and CA coast all the way to San Diego. All those curves along the coast ate the pads real quick.
Taught my son today how to change them out so maybe that explains the slower time!?

18 minutes. My time on front brake pad replacement. Getting older and slower I guess. Managed 16 minute time on a pad replacement on a trip down the WA, OR, and CA coast all the way to San Diego. All those curves along the coast ate the pads real quick.
Taught my son today how to change them out so maybe that explains the slower time!?
How do you do the piston compression?

Not really important but even brand new unused the headgasket cylinder holes are not round. They all have out of round areas near the intake valves. No idea why Toyota did it that way but they did. lol.

19 hours in. Now I find I need to replace the timing belt slipper. Ugh. What a horrible design. Can I get the whole job done in less than 60 hours?

Leak was definitely at #6, and I've never seen a more messed up head gasket in my life. I don't know what the previous job used, but none of the cylinder holes in the gasket are round.

View attachment 1408480

Check out how non-round that gasket is.... (Leak path is upper right corner)
View attachment 1408484

View attachment 1408482

On the bright side, I was able to retrieve my 3/8 drive 3" extension that rolled off the top of the valve cover 2 years ago!

View attachment 1408493

I guess I'll be the first to say what you already know...bro, you married up! :rofl:

Further evidence that women are far superior to men!
I was going to ask where his wife's seeing eye dog was...... ;)

I use big c-clamps & the old pad.
I was doing that yesterday and the other pistons kept coming back out. I only had one c clamp though. Guess I needed two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom