Builds Box Rocket 1980 1st Gen Hilux (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome news about your dad! Truck looks amazing. My 10-foot 1986, I now realize, is more of a 100 foot truck.

Thanks for the update!

Wow....very sorry to hear about your Dad's setback...hope he heals up quick and strong... the ticker is not something to trifle with for sure!
Truck looks nice, you have some great fab skills!

Best Wishes

That's a nice looking truck!

Your camber issue could actually be a toe issue. Too much toe-in and it makes the camber look wonky when you back up because the tires are not rolling parallel to each other. Pull forward a couple inches and I'd bet the wheels will look straight or even negatively cambered. Of course, bad bearings or bent parts could also be to blame.

That's a nice looking truck!

Your camber issue could actually be a toe issue. Too much toe-in and it makes the camber look wonky when you back up because the tires are not rolling parallel to each other. Pull forward a couple inches and I'd bet the wheels will look straight or even negatively cambered. Of course, bad bearings or bent parts could also be to blame.
Thanks Bryson. I'll check that. It actually does exactly what you described. The tie rod on these trucks is really small and this one has a very slight bend. The plan is to upgrade to high steer and power steering which would take care of those issues and we can correct toe at that point. I'll be checking for bent parts when I tear the axle down and do the rebuild.

Good to hear bro! I thought maybe you had gone soft on us or something with your cute new Tundra! :rofl:

Seriously, good to hear from you and glad things are good for you!
The unthinkable is happening! I am selling the LC. I want to find a good home for her. It is kids and other commitments that is making me do this, of course, if it does not happens I am not going to be bummed. ;) I can show my wife I tried to sell her but there were no takers! hehe!

Looks great!

The unthinkable is happening! I am selling the LC. I want to find a good home for her. It is kids and other commitments that is making me do this, of course, if it does not happens I am not going to be bummed. ;) I can show my wife I tried to sell her but there were no takers! hehe!

I refuse to "like" this!

This first pic was from last week. Little old school style with the double-single rollbar. I got this from the PO when I bought the truck but it was in rough shape. Also I hated how these were a little tall. It was probably more "functional" with the main hoops being about 2" taller than the roof, but just looked weird. I cut the main tubes down a little and I'm much happier with the look. We cleaned it up and repainted it and now it doesn't look to bad.

Today, my wife and I took a drive down to Low Range Offroad and picked up a bunch of stuff.
63" Chevy spring Kit (hangers, shackles, shackle hangers, ubolt flip)
3" Trail Gear front springs
Front ubolt flip
Ford shock towers
IFS steering box mount
Front spring hanger
Front axle truss
New mirrors
Marker lights
New rear shock mounts

Also picked up a couple used parts from some local guys.
'83 front axle housing. Needs lots of cleanup but it's straight and has the lower truss that mine doesn't.
Complete IFS rear axle with welded diff (won't be keeping the welded diff)
Longside front axle/birf
IFS Steering Box
DC front driveshaft.

All in all a good parts run. And it all fit in the back of the 80.

You sir are one lucky man! (My wife told me to send this...but I agree!) :clap:
My spouse would never be agreeable to spending a day on a parts run...or the $$ for that matter...but she does indulge me in my addiction every now and then.

Cheers!

More front end parts. Getting closer to finally being able to get the axles completely reworked.

New Aisin hubs, full set of hub studs/conewashers etc, Complete front end rebuild kit with new bearings from Cruiser Outfitters.

Part-time kit coming soon I presume?

Ha ha... derp. I guess I should remember which thread I'm posting in!

Axle still needs to be rebuilt and cleaned up but the suspension is just about ready. All hangers are welded in and painted. Used the Low Range kit for the 63's that included new front spring hangers, shackle hangers, ubolt flip kit.

Got the rear axle put back together. The diff in the donor axle had welded spiders which we didn't want. Good thing since when we got it out there were half a dozen chipped teeth on the ring gear so that diff is toast. We got the original diff back in the donor axle and it all looks good. Took a bit of "fiddling" to get new brake lines done and the parking brake cable needed to be slightly modified. Just need to bleed the brakes and make final adjustment on the parking brake and the rear is mostly there.
Working on new shock mounts and then we can move to the front end. I just need more time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom