2f Rebuild Cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PCC

Threads
I'm thinking of purchasing an FJ60 that needs a complete rebuild. Closest reputable shop quoted me $5,100 to rebuild + $1,500 labor. I'd really appreciate some feedback on that pricing. For that amount, I'd almost rather step up to a LS3 swap.

5100 with labor MAYBE...5100 AND labor? using all toyota pieces? maybe...but then, I'd really be looking hard at a diesel swap...I paid 34 for a 2f not using toyota stuff. engine was brought in to the shop by itself, and picked up complete.

5100 with labor MAYBE...5100 AND labor? using all toyota pieces? maybe...but then, I'd really be looking hard at a diesel swap...I paid 34 for a 2f not using toyota stuff. engine was brought in to the shop by itself, and picked up complete.
Agreed.... I was able to rebuild my top end with all OEM Toyota parts from Onur, including a new water pump, and even with machining work it cost me right around $1k. I did all the labor myself, not overly complicated, but well worth it.

Agreed.... I was able to rebuild my top end with all OEM Toyota parts from Onur, including a new water pump, and even with machining work it cost me right around $1k. I did all the labor myself, not overly complicated, but well worth it.
I would second this. If you are able to do the work yourself, it will save you a ton of money and it's a good experience, plenty of information to do everything yourself. For most people, it comes down to time. If you are going to send that money, look into buying one already done or diesel.

Machining plus parts came to about $1500. I replaced head bolts, some of the valves,water pump,fuel pump,pistons and rings,bearings ect..I had my manifolds re-surfaced,head rebuilt,block, line bored and bought a OEM head gasket $132. I assembled it myself using the 2F FSMs that are available for download right here on MUD. I had never built a car/truck engine before. It now has 2,500 miles on it and has not missed a beat. There are pics and info from my build thread in my signature line. Good luck and have fun:)

Last edited:
The top dog shop that rebuilds 2Fs in Los Angeles for TLC4X4 quoted me 7K for a complete rebuild including head, manifold, block, all Toyota parts, everything replaced, cam reground, the whole works. AAA workmanship. They don't mess around. But 7K is a steep price to pay. It's a place where Jay Leno would have an engine get rebuilt. This shop also does machine work for Toyota dealerships. So maybe you get what you pay for. I didn't get my engine rebuilt, as much as I wanted to, since it's still running fine enough and 7K was too much for me.

The top dog shop that rebuilds 2Fs in Los Angeles for TLC4X4 quoted me 7K for a complete rebuild including head, manifold, block, all Toyota parts, everything replaced, cam reground, the whole works. AAA workmanship. They don't mess around. But 7K is a steep price to pay. It's a place where Jay Leno would have an engine get rebuilt. This shop also does machine work for Toyota dealerships. So maybe you get what you pay for. I didn't get my engine rebuilt, as much as I wanted to, since it's still running fine enough and 7K was too much for me.

Just to re-iterate how much of a premium TLC4x4 charges (whether it be on their labor or their vehicle inventory), check out the price tag of this FJ62 they just listed:

Toyota 4x4 Land Cruisers

I still have the receipt from when mine was built with a new short block. It was back in 2005 and things have changed a little since then, but it'll help give you an idea. I'll post back up when I get home.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCC
Just wondering, why do you think you need a "complete rebuild"? Have you done a compression test on it or other diagnosis on the engine?

Or another option would be to find a good running motor and swap it in.

PaulC

Fair question. Engine is seized. Previous owner drove it with little to no oil.

Same shop quoted me $3,445 + labor for a running 2F w/190k. I've had a lot Jeeps but always wanted an FJ 60/62. I'm definitely not a Toyota expert but the prices just seem high to me

So the price includes a used engine, a rebuild of the newly acquired used engine, and installation?

There's a fully dressed 2F that recently sold here on the classifieds (but looks like may be on the market again) for $1,500. Just needs to be installed. To get a good deal, you'll have to do some research and see what's out there. I'm assuming doing the work yourself is out of the question?

Last edited:
So the price includes a used engine, a rebuild of the newly acquired used engine, and installation?

Here's an fully dressed 2F that recently sold (but looks like may be on the market again) for $1,500. Just needs to be installed. To get a good deal, you'll have to do some research and see what's out there. I'm assuming doing the work yourself is out of the question?

I am pretty good mechanically but I don't have a proper space to do the work. I also travel a lot for work. For me, its more about time than money

So if money is less of a deal than time then why not look to have it shipped to someone like ACC and have a pro group that specializes in Land Cruisers do the work. Not to bash your shop but at that price you should be doing something major other than rebuild. Check out the vendor forum and find one that is near you, spend the extra money to have it shipped to an extremely knowledgeable shop and be done with it.

So if money is less of a deal than time then why not look to have it shipped to someone like ACC and have a pro group that specializes in Land Cruisers do the work. Not to bash your shop but at that price you should be doing something major other than rebuild. Check out the vendor forum and find one that is near you, spend the extra money to have it shipped to an extremely knowledgeable shop and be done with it.

That's a good idea (ship it out). Unfortunately, the shop I went to is on this forum

That's a good idea (ship it out). Unfortunately, the shop I went to is on this forum
Time to seek a second opinion. Not all shops are equal (as seen with the TLC4x4 shop and the work they do). So you may be able to save some money by going with another well known shop that is not as close and shipping it to them.

If that's the price for a 2F rebuild and to have the shop remove and replace the engine, that's a very fair price, depending on parts they plan to use for the rebuild.

I just can't see spending that money on a 2F unless I'm doing a complete factory finish restore. What's the point otherwise? Spend the money on a V8 or diesel swap and add performance to the equation. Source the parts yourself. The internet makes that easy these days.

Last edited:
What @CaptClose said. If I ever plan to spend that kind of money on my truck, I'm gonna do a V8 swap.

For what it's worth, here are some pictures of the receipt of a MAJOR overhaul that the original owner had done to my truck back in '05. Keep in mind, there's a lot more than just an engine rebuild in there... But you can subtract all of the unrelated items to get a ballpark of what it cost.

Also keep in mind, that I paid less than that for the whole truck 1 year ago. Don't expect to get out of it what you put into it.

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

View attachment 1408479

IMG_6228.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: PCC
never pay more than 3K for a used 2F...INCLUDING swap labor...that is all i have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom