2001 Tacoma w/ 304,000 miles. Good price, good maint, etc... Would you buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've stumbled upon a well taken care off 2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road with 304,000 miles. The owner says it's all highway miles (never been off road) and maint was done every 5,000 miles.

I know these trucks can go forever but I'm curious if anyone would consider a truck with 304,000 miles as a good platform for an overland build. I'm just wondering if I should be hesitant about putting alot of money into a build with it.

Anything I should look for? Trouble spots?

Owner asking $5,500 but seems open to negotiations

nm

16831189_10155050583933980_1977776697111135416_n.jpg

16807809_10155050584793980_1574505229029850460_n.jpg

16649136_10155050584668980_7103660210548952871_n.jpg

What am I looking for? Just rust, cracks, and weak spots?

EDIT: Nevermind I watch a YT video. That's pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Get the VIN and check with your local Toyota Dealer for any outstanding recalls or service bulletins. You can also find out if it is still frame covered. If the PO took it in for the required service the frame is covered for 15 years from the date it was first sold.

Typically the worst spots on the frame are were the leaf springs hangers attach to the frame. keep in mind they tend to rot from the inside out.

That interior looks to be in good shape. A good sign the owner took care of his stuff. I remember my driver seat was coming apart on the side plastic after 100k. It was from me rubbing as I got in or out.

I would check to see if the locker engages. Thats a lot of miles for any type of vehicle. But these were made with great parts where the frame became the issue not the motor and trans.
Also the 3.4 timing belt should be changed every 90k miles or so. Though I went 150k on my first one and didnt have a problem until I had a problem with it

There are enough of these around that you could find a motor and trans for a decent price if something catastrophic did happen. The rear axles from trds are higher than one might think they should be from parts places because of the desired electronic locker. But I believe most problems with them are from the actuator if anything

Last edited:
Not sure if I would start modding a 300,000 mile vehicle. Seems kinda late in the game to go about making big changes. I would recommend DDing it instead. Seems like that's an unnecessary risk of something breaking out in the woods with that many miles

Definitely check the frame for any type of rust and see if it looks like any rust has been painted over.

Not sure if I would start modding a 300,000 mile vehicle. Seems kinda late in the game to go about making big changes. I would recommend DDing it instead. Seems like that's an unnecessary risk of something breaking out in the woods with that many miles

Definitely check the frame for any type of rust and see if it looks like any rust has been painted over.

To me it is the perfect vehicle to start modding into a trail rig.

OP, in short if it is otherwise in good working order and there are no signs of covered up problems the truck is worth what they are asking despite the 300K on the odo. If well cared for these motors are good for 500K miles or more. Keep in mind you are looking at a 15yr old truck. It will have issues and will need maintenance.

Look at this before buying: 1st. Gen Tacoma Buyers Guide

That is exactly what I am looking for for my son who is driving age in 6 months. I will say also that at my job we have a fleet of mostly Chevy and Ford 1/2 tons and full size vans and one Tacoma with over 500k on it. The Taco is my choice of vehicle when I have to go to job sites, even with a tow-behind welder etc. That truck feels solid, great steering/brakes/power etc. Seems to run forever with ,I think, little maintenance. Just my 2 cents. If you can get the vehicle to a mechanic for a pre-purchase check, that is always worth the cost, imho. Good Luck, Ill be joining you in 6 months! :)

That is exactly what I am looking for for my son who is driving age in 6 months. I will say also that at my job we have a fleet of mostly Chevy and Ford 1/2 tons and full size vans and one Tacoma with over 500k on it. The Taco is my choice of vehicle when I have to go to job sites, even with a tow-behind welder etc. That truck feels solid, great steering/brakes/power etc. Seems to run forever with ,I think, little maintenance. Just my 2 cents. If you can get the vehicle to a mechanic for a pre-purchase check, that is always worth the cost, imho. Good Luck, Ill be joining you in 6 months! :)
My parents gave me this truck as my first car when I was 15. Great first vehicle and good for your son to learn to work on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom