Tire advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My current setup is stock 18" wheels with bfg all terrain ko2's. Iron man foam cell pro suspension. No armor nor plans for any.

I recently bought 17" trd rock warriors that are being powder coated and have yet to pick out new tires to go with the trd's. I am considering moving away from the bfg ko2's and going with a different brand. Does anyone have strong opinions on another tire I should go with? I want to stay with an all terrain tire. Thanks!

Going through the same process and leaning toward Cooper AT3's in 295/70/17. Seem to get pretty good reviews for an all around AT.

Curious, but why go away from the KO2s?

my .02$ on Toyo ATIIs. I've got about 24K miles on 285/75r17s and they perform very well on road and off. Haven't really tried them in deep mud or sand, but in dessert driving and the trails of Colorado they did exceptionally well. They do have more road noise than the KO2s, and really hum above 60.
I had some mechanical issues that contributed to excessive wear on a couple tires, probably 50% tread left, but with 5 tire rotation pattern, two tires have 11K on them and still look great.

@mcgaskins how many miles do you have on your ATIIs? how is the wear on them?
I do mostly city driving, and admittedly harder stops/starts than normal but it seems like my tires are wearing faster than expected.
The reason I went with the Toyos was their 65K mile rating. I'm planning on selling them at 30K and going with something different, really looking at the KO2s. Friends that have them love them. will be watching this thread with interest.

No concrete reason to go away from them. Maybe price I guess. Also wonder if my mostly street driving would be better with another tire.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but here is a good place to start.

I've ran kinda a lot of tires out there and have only been impressed by two of them. One of those was the KO2.

I've had the Cooper AT3, and it was a great tire, but the KO2 was better in snow (as it should being a 3 peak tire) that was the only difference from my perspective.

The Nitto ridge grappler is about the only thing I'm curious about right now. Although from my perspective Toyo/Nitto haven't made anything that great over other tires, and come with a sometimes significant weight penalty.

Thanks @Taco2Cruiser great article. may start looking more at the Cooper.

Umm... yea both the old MT/R and the new Kevlar ones.

They were not too bad on dry and wet pavement but they weren't confidence inspiring either. The tread lasted very long, but they both were unbalanceable after 70,000 miles of 5 tire rotations (so about 50,000 miles per tire). All had compromised carcass. The MT/R still hold my personal best record of the easiest to damage. And it really came down to they couldn't handle being airdowned (at that was usually only to 20psi)

Off-road, they were average in rocks and dirt. Absolutely terrible in mud. I mean just horrible. Sand they are actually pretty good. In the army we use either MT/Rs or BFG Baja and they are both pretty dang good in sand. So if you are a road and beach driver, they might be a possible choice.

Edit: from when I use to work in a shop, on average Goodyears required a lot more weight to balance than others, not to say I didn't see some very true Goodyears, just on average.

@mcgaskins how many miles do you have on your ATIIs? how is the wear on them?
I do mostly city driving, and admittedly harder stops/starts than normal but it seems like my tires are wearing faster than expected.
The reason I went with the Toyos was their 65K mile rating. I'm planning on selling them at 30K and going with something different, really looking at the KO2s. Friends that have them love them. will be watching this thread with interest.

I bought mine used, so I honestly don't know. The guy I bought them from said they have 10k miles, but I have no way of verifying that. I measured the tread depth at 70% of new though. I actually do like the tires, and they are much much quieter than the Duratracs that were on before. I bought these 35s used to make sure I wanted to stick with the size to reduce the $ impact if I didn't want 35s for the long haul. I had really good luck with 37" KO2s on my JKUR, so I'm thinking about trying the 35" or 315/70/17 KO2 on the 200. I don't have any imminent need or even desire to get rid of the Toyos though because they have been great so far.

IF I was YOU I'd look hard at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.....that'll be my next purchase

I liked the Toyo RT's - ran two sets , and the TG2's were solid on my 100 and very smooth....
But i'm impressed so far with my new Cooper ST's - I jsut did a highspeed run over to Austin and am really liking how smooth and well behaved and predictable they are.....

IF I was YOU I'd look hard at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.....that'll be my next purchase

I'm interested in those too, but I can't find weight listings for them. It seems like Nittos tend to be heavier than lead compared to KO2s for example...

I cannot locate a weight either

I just voted with my money on Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws. On the aggressive spectrum of A/T tires (supposedly deepest tread in category @ 20/32), while having incredibly good road manners. One of the newer designs out and is well reviewed. Very well priced to boot.

Any experience here with Goodyear wrangler mt/r?
I had 285/70/17 Mt/rs on my TRD Pro 4Runner and hated them on the highway. They seemed to always have a shake to them no matter what, and they seemed much louder then I thought they should, especially compared to the 35" Cooper STT Pros I have on my 80. I feel like the STT Pro is a GREAT tire if you want to go aggressive. Hands down better then the MTR on and off-road.
Very curious to see what you do and how it works out. I just picked up a set of rock warriors too, and plan to run the iron man pro suspension. I've been thinking about 295/70/17 toyo RTs. I run 295/75/16 ko2s on my 100 and really like them, but I think I would like something a tad bigger then the 285/70/17 that the Ko2s come in for the rock warriors on the 200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom