gbentink Turbo Upgrade Users Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. I tead the entire pump tuning thread and have a couple questions.

First off... it seem like just turning up boost on a stock tune will lower egt and increase hp without negatively effecting mpg. It that true? I read bumping boost to 15 psi or so is common. What kind of hp increase do you guys see with that? At 15psi, is no addutiojal fuel required?

Thanks for your patience with my noob questions.

You don't need additional fuel to get the turbo to push 15psi, I can't speak to what the actual hp/tq increases are, but it extends the powerband as it doesn't run out of air as quickly as before, making it much nicer to drive, especially at highway speeds.

Depends on the current state of tune.
You may not have enough fuel to make more boost.
If you already have enough fuel to be able to increase boost, you should see lower EGTs, and maybe an increase in power, but not necessarily.
More fuel plus more boost will increase power, but more fuel also increased EGTs.
It's a juggling act and there's many factors that affect the results

You don't need additional fuel to get the turbo to push 15psi, I can't speak to what the actual hp/tq increases are, but it extends the powerband as it doesn't run out of air as quickly as before, making it much nicer to drive, especially at highway speeds.

This is exactly what I'm hoping. From what my dad told me on his test drive, the EGTs shoot up to roughly 1000 when he did some 0-60 runs onto the freeway. He said the truck feels really good down low but, once the RPMs climb, it falls off quickly. I'm hoping that more air will help with both of those problems.

Depends on the current state of tune.
You may not have enough fuel to make more boost.
If you already have enough fuel to be able to increase boost, you should see lower EGTs, and maybe an increase in power, but not necessarily.
More fuel plus more boost will increase power, but more fuel also increased EGTs.
It's a juggling act and there's many factors that affect the results

This is good to know. I'm hoping that the truck will arrive in the next couple of days. I want to keep a close eye on EGTs while I drive it, before making any adjustments with a boost controller. Like I mentioned above, it sounds like it might be running a little right air/fuel ratio, but I don't know. My goal for this engine is to get decent fuel mileage more than power. But, if I travel up to the White Mtns, I don't want to be stuck doing 50mph the whole way either.

So... do any of you guys have opinions on boost controllers? I saw that the Dawes controller seems popular. I saw someone else running Hallman. (I'm familiar with Hallman from when I ran a manual boost control on my Evo) Is there anything special I should pay attention to on a diesel boost controller? Do any particular boost controllers work better than others? On the Evo, brands didn't seem to really matter much...

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

So... do any of you guys have opinions on boost controllers? I saw that the Dawes controller seems popular. I saw someone else running Hallman. (I'm familiar with Hallman from when I ran a manual boost control on my Evo) Is there anything special I should pay attention to on a diesel boost controller? Do any particular boost controllers work better than others? On the Evo, brands didn't seem to really matter much...

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Dawes boost controller recently installed. Easy to setup and set. The main difference with it and the Hallman, is ease of adjustability, which the Hallman has in spades with the knob. With either, be sure to get one which can handle higher boost of the diesel...Dawes has a specific diesel model.

Dawes boost controller recently installed. Easy to setup and set. The main difference with it and the Hallman, is ease of adjustability, which the Hallman has in spades with the knob. With either, be sure to get one which can handle higher boost of the diesel...Dawes has a specific diesel model.
Good point, I should make sure I get a high psi version. I might have my old turbo XS, 30psi MBC in the garage somewhere...

Ok. Finally, got delivery of my Grunter (non-extreme) powered diesel 80 yesterday and took it for it's first drive to work this morning. My commute is 35+ miles, mostly on the freeway. I was surprised a few things.

1. Very little power. I kept flooring the throttle thinking I was only giving it 50% throttle because the rig just wouldn't accelerate.
2. Higher boost was indicated than expected. On full throttle, I was boosting 14+psi
3. How high the EGTs were. Getting onto the freeway (0-75 mph) I hit 1200. It is 30 degrees outside right now. I can't imagine how hot this thing will get when it's 100 out.

Now, I'm wondering if my indicated boost is accurate. I'm on stock tires, and the 80 accelerates much slower than my Tacoma on 33x12.5 tires with stock gears. Also, from what I've read, these high EGTs can be lowered by raising boost. But it seems like, at 15 psi, this thing should at least get out of it's own way.

Do you guys have any advice?

Good call on confirming it's a Gturbo. I can see the Gturbo logo on it. So, you're thinking I should add roughly 12psi to it to lower down those EGTs? I'll order up a boost controller, then.

For ease of use, I was thinking about the Hallman. But it seems like lots of guys use the Dawes. Any more feedback on boost controllers that I should know? (thanks @CycloSteve for your feedback)

Good call on confirming it's a Gturbo. I can see the Gturbo logo on it. So, you're thinking I should add roughly 12psi to it to lower down those EGTs? I'll order up a boost controller, then.

For ease of use, I was thinking about the Hallman. But it seems like lots of guys use the Dawes. Any more feedback on boost controllers that I should know? (thanks @CycloSteve for your feedback)

I'm also using the Dawes with good success, no input on the others as I haven't used them.

Well according to Graeme 26psi is the sweet spot, they will go to 35psi but you may pop your trans. Set it to 26psi then you want to get the fuel set with a A/F meter, have a read of the tuning thread

+1 on the Dawes. I'm also running one on my 1HD-T and I really like it. Easy to adjust and fine tune to where I wanted the boost.

I also have a NXS unit:

Manual Boost Controller - Stainless Steel | NXS Motorsports

But I actually haven't tried it out. I believe others have had good success with it though. I had a Turbosmart controller before, but it didn't work for me. However, it could have been a knock off, but I didn't like how the adjustment was in "notches." You had to turn the adjustment to pre-set locations. Both the Dawes and NXS are just threaded, so you can set it where ever you want.

It sounds like Dawes might be the tried and true way to go. So, do I only need to buy the boost controller, some vacuum hose and some small hose clamps? (I live in the sticks and it will be an hour round trip to get to an autoparts store. So, I want to get a complete shopping list together)

Send Dawes an e-mail. They sell kits for other vehicles, so I don't see why they couldn't add some vacuum hose and clamps to the sale of the controller. Looks like they may only sell zap straps rather than clamps though.

Dawes Devices Diesel MK II Hybrid Boost Controller

Actually here's some hose from their site:

10 feet of Red Silicone Hose for your Installation

That's definitely more than you need.

Depending on how you plan to rig it up you may also want to purchase the brass tee they show on their site.

Thanks for the advice, you guys. I ended up ordering the Dawes MKII, like most of you run. Hopefully, it will get here on Monday. And, hopefully, bumping boost up with lower my EGTs are give me more power. I'm still in shock with how slow this thing is right now...

Ok... sanity check me you guys... I just got done tuning the boost compensator on my rig. While I was in there, I turned by aneroid rod from the least fueling side to the most fueling side. It is now alarmingly quick! ...so quick that I'm a little worried that my current settings are safe. Can you guys give me some feedback on them? I have the standard, non-extreme, Grunter turbo, set at 23psi. Can the engine, and the turbo, handle 23psi of boost and remain reliable? EGTs are staying below 1100 on long hill accelerations. Just so you guys know exactly what I'm running, here's a picture of the turbo

Here's the Gturbo Grunter:

Also, here's my aneroid... I am now using the most aggressive side:

Hahaha! Firstly, you are tuning your 1hd-t. Sanity is long gone :rofl: :rofl: enjoy the ride, it can be addictive

EGTs are 1100*F? Sounds good.

I'm sure the early grunter is good for more than 23psi, but others might chime in and confirm.

Increasing the output of an engine is always a gamble to some extent.
These engines are very robust. Lots of guys pushing them beyond what you are.
In marine form these engines are putting out much higher power figures all day long

Ok... sanity check me you guys... I just got done tuning the boost compensator on my rig. While I was in there, I turned by aneroid rod from the least fueling side to the most fueling side. It is now alarmingly quick! ...so quick that I'm a little worried that my current settings are safe. Can you guys give me some feedback on them? I have the standard, non-extreme, Grunter turbo, set at 23psi. Can the engine, and the turbo, handle 23psi of boost and remain reliable? EGTs are staying below 1100 on long hill accelerations. Just so you guys know exactly what I'm running, here's a picture of the turbo

This makes me want to start messing with mine NOW instead of waiting for spring!

Is that a stock pin? Sorry, I've never pulled mine but I'm interested in upgrading the turbo

Is that a stock pin? Sorry, I've never pulled mine but I'm interested in upgrading the turbo

Yep, as far as I know, that's the stock pin... but I've owned this rig less than a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom