What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (129 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine are size 13 - my best friend and college roommate called them gunboats. The pedal only moved over ~1/4", just enough to clear the transmission hump.

BTW, here's a nice flow chart for checking out the Power Valve Control System:

Too many middlemen. The failsafe option is just to drill the carb to provide the power valve signal internally.

@65swb45 I think I'd call it semi; but depending on the lighting, it borders on flat. I'll definitely post updates as I go. I'm pretty excited to give it a try. Also, in case you haven't seen it, there's a big Monstaliner thread in the Paint and Body forum that's worth browsing if you are interested. Depending on how close you want the paint match to be, I've seen some guys request custom tint from them; however, I think their desert sand is plenty close to dune beige for my needs.

@65swb45 I think I'd call it semi; but depending on the lighting, it borders on flat. I'll definitely post updates as I go. I'm pretty excited to give it a try. Also, in case you haven't seen it, there's a big Monstaliner thread in the Paint and Body forum that's worth browsing if you are interested. Depending on how close you want the paint match to be, I've seen some guys request custom tint from them; however, I think their desert sand is plenty close to dune beige for my needs.

A creature of habit, I didn't even know such a forum existed. I'll take a look sometime, but not right now.

@CruiserClay / @65swb45

ML has an "oh so slight sheen"..It's a gnats lash from Dune beige. Also, if you use the factory applicator, ML will have a slight pebbled finish as well.

photo(498).JPG

photo(500).JPG

Last edited:
@CruiserClay / @65swb45

ML has an "oh so slight sheen"..It's a gnats lash from Dune beige. Also, if you use the factory applicator, ML will have a slight pebbled finish as well.

View attachment 1407589

View attachment 1407590

Thank you sir. That will be satisfactory for my bed. I'm gonna have to think about that for the exterior tho. I know it is a RUF-toy, but it takes a little getting used to th idea. If @Pighead were around, I'm sure he'd convince me to go the full route of T WRECKS:hillbilly:

I'll give y'all something to poke fun at, got the body mounts in my main beam. Welded some scrap 16ga. on the end of
DSCN0625.JPG
some 2" tube, drilled a 3/4" hole in it
DSCN0619.JPG
marked it where it needed to be above beam
DSCN0624.JPG
and recessed the face so the clam shell could be adj the width of the hole and center was marked clearly for my blind a**
DSCN0626.JPG

Installed my vintage mud flaps! They came off a 60's grain truck these 2 were used i also got 2 brand new ones i put on the garage wall.

@Varty Yo I like the local flair of those mud flaps!

posted this up in the 45 section but know i will get more views, and hence more opinions and experience

so ive spent some time in autocad modelling what i want the bed to end up looking like. that way its a case of only cutting once im happy. heres my final draft. the only thing im not 100% on yet is the overall width of the new bed. 1545mm might be a tad on the thin side if i dont run wheel arches. but the plan is for wheel arches in which case it should be spot on.

bed-new-acad-jpg.1407916

bed-new-acad-dims-jpg.1407917

on the dimensioned pic above the top two are for the planned cut, the bottom two are of the bed currently. can see just how much wider i am at the moment. stock bed width is only supposed to be 1690mm and im at 1730mm.

any thoughts and experience with this type of thing would be kindly appreciated

posted this up in the 45 section but know i will get more views, and hence more opinions and experience

so ive spent some time in autocad modelling what i want the bed to end up looking like. that way its a case of only cutting once im happy. heres my final draft. the only thing im not 100% on yet is the overall width of the new bed. 1545mm might be a tad on the thin side if i dont run wheel arches. but the plan is for wheel arches in which case it should be spot on.

bed-new-acad-jpg.1407916

bed-new-acad-dims-jpg.1407917

on the dimensioned pic above the top two are for the planned cut, the bottom two are of the bed currently. can see just how much wider i am at the moment. stock bed width is only supposed to be 1690mm and im at 1730mm.

I think it will look great man, can't wait to see how it comes out. I can't say I've done it before but, like they say its only metal. If was going to do I'd use some light tubing and add a small gusset for the steps. As far as the width goes, I'd probably flip her upside down remove the front sheet metal. Then get measurement on your mounts and split her down the middle and relocate your mounts, adj. your front sheet metal, slap her back on the truck and then do your wheel wells.

Last edited:

Toolboxes under the front of the bed, ahead of the wheelwells? I started work on one for my 45 five or six years ago, maybe 10. Tubed the frame, started skinning it, got sidetracked by life.

Will the shorter box be more or less even with the rear crossmember of the frame?

Got my @Racer65 overflow bottle mounted.

Truly amazing the difference it makes to have the whole OEM cooling system in tact

IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

I think it will look great man, can't wait to see how it comes out. I can't say I've done it before but, like they say its only metal. If was going to do I'd use some light tubing and add a small gusset for the steps. As far as the width goes, I'd probably flip her upside down remove the front sheet metal. Then get measurement on your mounts and split her down the middle and relocate your mounts, adj. your front sheet metal, slap her back on the truck and then do your wheel wells.
Pretty much the way I plan to do it. I have to take 185mm out of the center down the middle, which equates to 92.5mm each side of the center line. Mounts should be real easy as there are beams that run right across the bed. All should need to do there is mark and drill new holes

Toolboxes under the front of the bed, ahead of the wheelwells? I started work on one for my 45 five or six years ago, maybe 10. Tubed the frame, started skinning it, got sidetracked by life.

Will the shorter box be more or less even with the rear crossmember of the frame?

I was really thinking hard about the putting tool boxes, but I've ultimately decided against it for now due to the money factor. It's always the money factor for me. Right now, I can do this whole job and the only thing I need to purchase is some 50x50 angle iron and a sheet of 2mm steel. If I wanted to make boxes I would need a bit more steel and hinges and locks and a way of mounting them to the chassis as I think the side wall of the bed would just be too flimsy to support a tool box.

So for now it will just be a side step. In the future, if funds allow, will revisit and make some boxes up. Or who knows, maybe I get lucky and get some extra money from somewhere whilst I'm doing it first time around

@Vossie, y'all don't have a scrap yard close enough to check to see if there is some metal to be had cheap? That's how I get most of what I use and cheap, that and cut offs from a boiler and tank fab shop.

@Vossie, y'all don't have a scrap yard close enough to check to see if there is some metal to be had cheap? That's how I get most of what I use and cheap, that and cut offs from a boiler and tank fab shop.

See now, that's what I'm talking about! When I take my engine blocks, axle housings etc to the scrap yard, they weigh my truck when I drive in, and weigh it when I leave. I almost always find some interesting pieces of metal while I'm in there, and 'buy' it for the same cheap-ass price they're paying me for my cheit. I kid you not. I have a toolbox door, handle and latches, from a service body truck, that I picked up at the scrap yard, for probably under a buck by weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom