Tie Rod Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am going to be installing a new tie rod and ends (from Marlin) tomorrow, and I haven't been able to find which way to install it in terms of which side gets the left hand thread end. Any insights?

Thanks!
Josh

At the risk of sounding trite, it's the one with left hand threads. The tie rod assembly design works like the tensioner on a screen door; spin the nut and the diagonal gets longer or shorter as needed. This prevents the need to disconnect the rod ends after they're installed, which is a good thing, since they're a tapered fit and lock when inserted.

The tie rod assembly is a tube, with rod ends. The rod ends are connected to a knuckle arm; the tube serves to connect the knuckles so that both wheels turn synchronously. The rod ends allow for tire/wheel movement in the vertical plane. The arm doesn't care if the thread on the other end of the rod end is left hand or right hand. The threads allow for length adjustment prior to rod end/knuckle connection; after that, the threads don't (shouldn't) move.

I'm sure that the arrangement of assemblies in the bin on the assembly line was set up to orient all the assemblies one way (assembly line OCD), but the steering still works if the tie rod assembly is flipped end for end.

I'm looking at the FSM and it doesn't mention it. I assume you can install it either way.

LH Threads in Tie Rod Should Face the Passenger Side on USA Spec Vehicle if you want to match OEM. I had to buy that tap and very good chance I will never use it again.
$22 was cheaper than a new tie rod.

The only difference it will make it which way you turn the rod to lengthen it. One direction you turn the top to the front to lengthen and the other way, you turn the top to the rear to lengthen.

Just make sure you put plenty of anti-seize on the threads before you install it.

DO NOT put anti seize or grease on the tapered parts. Those MUST go together dry.

The big trick is to ensure that the steering damper mounting location is in the correct position. This is the defining point for the orientation of the tie rod. After that the threaded ends sort them selves out. The left hand threaded end will only accept the left hand threaded ball joint.

The big trick is to ensure that the steering damper mounting location is in the correct position. This is the defining point for the orientation of the tie rod. After that the threaded ends sort them selves out. The left hand threaded end will only accept the left hand threaded ball joint.
Just to clarify, the steering damper connects to the drag link/relay rod, not the tie rod. The tie rod runs behind the axle and the drag link is in front.

Oops. Was away from my truck so got the rods mixed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom