Builds "Guinea Pig" GX460 Light Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did the LED bulbs fit within the headlight housing? Did you manage to get the little round trap-door back on? I couldn't tell by the amazon pictures how big the bulb bodies were. I just installed a set of plug and play HID kits on my GX460 and I just managed to stuff the ballast and wiring into the headlight housings.

So the nice thing about the LED kits is that the don't require any ballasts. I was able to fit everything in the housing and put the cover back on with plenty of room. I also replaced the fog lights, but they don't have covers over the back like the headlights. The bulbs them self are IP65 (shockproof and water resistant), but I haven't done any water crossings with them yet, so I'm not sure how waterproof the really are for that application.

That's good to know. I've been really happy with the HID kits I've been using, but the LEDs seem to be getting better and better (and cheaper).

How much heat do you think they put out? They have a built in fan, correct? I wonder if it will affect the headlight housing since it is all enclosed.

That's good to know. I've been really happy with the HID kits I've been using, but the LEDs seem to be getting better and better (and cheaper).

How much heat do you think they put out? They have a built in fan, correct? I wonder if it will affect the headlight housing since it is all enclosed.
I haven't tested the heat output, but I would expect it is lower than HIDs. I had HID's in my C6 Vette and the bulbs and ballasts always got really hot. The lights do have fans, which you can hear (just a little hum) when the car is off and lights are still on. Another advantage of these LEDs is that they have a nice sharp cut off like true HID's do. Technically when converting halogen to HIDs, you would need to replace the housing to a HID style to get proper cut offs.

I took your lead and ordered up a set of the LED bulbs. The light output was great on the HIDs but the pattern was terrible. The LED bulbs have a great pattern (no dark spots) and a lot of "volume" of light. I still don't have a good feel for distance but they're definitely better than the HIDs.

I took your lead and ordered up a set of the LED bulbs. The light output was great on the HIDs but the pattern was terrible. The LED bulbs have a great pattern (no dark spots) and a lot of "volume" of light. I still don't have a good feel for distance but they're definitely better than the HIDs.
Have you changed out your fog lights too? I saw a huge improvement using the LEDs with my fogs.

As of now, I kept the fog lights and high beams as the HIDs. I do like the "throw" of the high beam HIDs. I have a little trip coming up which will give me a good idea of how the setup works. We'll see.

I tried DupliColor Bedliner in the rattle can on the sliders and it wouldn't adhere very well, so I stripped them, put two coats of primer and 3 coats of gloss black rattle can on them. They look awesome in person and best part is that when they get scraped wheeling I can easily touch them up again.

But then this happened! Initial estimate is over $3k for the door and bumper :(

Don't the wrangler boys use spacers to fit bigger tires on their gates?

I'm curious if the guys over at AUStoUSA.com could source a silver rear door. They seem pretty willing and able.

Don't the wrangler boys use spacers to fit bigger tires on their gates?

I'm curious if the guys over at AUStoUSA.com could source a silver rear door. They seem pretty willing and able.
Not only is my tire larger, I also went with an E-rated tire, which isn't light at all, so even with a spacer, it'd probably end up sagging. I'll have to check out that site and see if they could get one after I find out if my tire size fits.

Met up with the GA FJ Cruisers for their birthday bash and ran Trey Mountain and Charlies Creek with two other GX470 guys. I forgot the GoPro, so I don't have many pictures of the GX, but I was overall really impressed with how it performed. It had been raining alot for 24 hours and the KO2s held up really well.

Well I made another purchase from MetalTech 4x4. Upgrading the suspension to Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro's and Total Chaos upper control arms. After talking with Mark for about an hour he convinced me to go ahead and do the upper control arms while I had everything else apart. While the UCAs aren't necessary he said that it was a huge improvement over stock UCAs.

Are other brands of suspension like Icon, Radflo, King better than Ironman? I've heard nothing but good things about those other brands, but I went with Ironman because they were the best value in my opinion. Fully height adjustable, rebuildable and allowed me to get UCAs all within my budget.

Perfect timing. I have spent the past three days pouring over my options in regards to suspension for the 460. I have a built 100 series in the garage, so I have no desire (yet) to build up the 460, rather just want to gain some height (1.5-2" tops), eliminate the rake, and improve on the terrible mushy nose dive and body roll from the stock setup. I just installed MT sliders, and I have 32.5" ko2's on the truck. With all this said, I have looked at going 5100's for now, then installing OME 884's, along with new UCA's and rear springs in a year or two.....however, I have also looked at the Ironman setup (it does not seem there are many running this for whatever reason?), along with Icon, Radflo, Toytec, etc.... Bottom line, I am more confused now than when I started. With Slee and Toytec in my backyard, I plan to pick their brains over the coming week(s).

I know you have/had 5100's, but it looks like you moved to this Ironman setup. I am curious to hear more about the decision, and to see some pics when it get's installed. Did Mark shed some light on the benefits of the foam cell vs the nitro shocks (looks to be about $500 more for foam cell).

@zman7980 - I think I may be the first GX460 in the US to install Ironman Foam Cell Pros. There aren't many lifted 460s in the states (maybe 10?), so its somewhat uncharted territory. There are a good number of GX470s running them and everyone that has them loves them.

I've been happy with the Bilsteins in terms of ride quality and height, but there are too many cases of failures for my liking. Just google Bilstein failure and it will come up with way too many Tacos, FJs, and T4R failures and you'll see why. The trick with the 5100's is to not go above the second perch (0.85" lift). Going higher puts stress on the eye joints, which tend to fail and greatly diminishes ride quality.

I went with Ironman because there just isn't a better system for under $1,500 (pre-assembled) that are full coilovers. This allowed me to also get TC UCAs and remain under budget. The main difference between the FCPs and Nitro's is that the FCPs are full coilovers where the Nitro's are just struts and the FCPs rear shocks are much larger in diameter. I like the idea of being able to adjust ride height and being rebuildable.

Here's a few reviews of other trucks using Foam Cell Pros:
We Test The New Ironman 4X4 Foam Cell Pro Shock Absorber - Unsealed 4X4
http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/trucks/ironman-4x4-foam-cell-pro-suspension-review/

If my budget for the suspension was unlimited, I would have probably gone with Icon.

got it, thanks for the links. It's good to get first hand knowledge from someone in a similar position, as reading endless threads can be a black hole.

I am looking forward to seeing pics and hearing some feedback on the Ironman setup. Thanks for blazing the trail for us 460 owners out there.

Not a problem! I don't mind being a guinea pig for the benefit of everyone else! Now if I could just turn that into a sponsorship to get discounted parts!!!

Any system you go with will most likely suit well. If you go full coilovers up front you will want to be sure and do the 2.5" diameter systems as the GX460 is heavier than the T4R and FJC.

Nice truck u have there. I have a friend who got a '16 gx460 and modified it into a sweet machine. He has done a old man emu lift using their latest bp51 kit, 33" bfg at-2' on some new rims (now sporting a different tire for snow purposes), full underbelly skids, ARB front and rear lockers, on board air, front runner rack and custom rear tire carrier which was a 2" receiver welded to the back of the tow bar, offset to the side a bit. Someone did make the carrier though. Also, he has some killer auxiliary lights from crystalclear or something. I always thought the gx's are pretty awesome, they are just so expensive. After this guy did all his mods, his truck is closer to 80k now. Who wants to scratch that.. lol.
IMG_0210.JPG

Nice truck u have there. I have a friend who got a '16 gx460 and modified it into a sweet machine. He has done a old man emu lift using their latest bp51 kit, 33" bfg at-2' on some new rims (now sporting a different tire for snow purposes), full underbelly skids, ARB front and rear lockers, on board air, front runner rack and custom rear tire carrier which was a 2" receiver welded to the back of the tow bar, offset to the side a bit. Someone did make the carrier though. Also, he has some killer auxiliary lights from crystalclear or something. I always thought the gx's are pretty awesome, they are just so expensive. After this guy did all his mods, his truck is closer to 80k now. Who wants to scratch that.. lol.
View attachment 1411466

Your friend has got one serious GX460 build going on there! Tell him to join on here or on the GXOR facebook group (GXOR - GX OffRoad) so I can drool over his build!

The pre-facelift (2010-2013) models are dropping down to around $20-30k which makes it more affordable for the everyday guy to build up a GX. I would expect as prices continue to drop, you'll see more and more GX460s built!

Hi stilespendleton,
I just recently purchased 2010 gx460 and looking for leveling lift kit. Do you pictures of the new Ironman 4x4 foam cell pro installed? Do you have the exact product # for kit for gx460? I couldn't find it listed under vehicle search.

Thanks!

Well I made another purchase from MetalTech 4x4. Upgrading the suspension to Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro's and Total Chaos upper control arms. After talking with Mark for about an hour he convinced me to go ahead and do the upper control arms while I had everything else apart. While the UCAs aren't necessary he said that it was a huge improvement over stock UCAs.

Are other brands of suspension like Icon, Radflo, King better than Ironman? I've heard nothing but good things about those other brands, but I went with Ironman because they were the best value in my opinion. Fully height adjustable, rebuildable and allowed me to get UCAs all within my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom