Sleeping-plattforms - how to sleep inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1990 FJ62.. and ..

I love this set-up! I think I want this exact setup, but possibly slideable? So I can pull it back, when I want to put up the rear bench seat?
And when I want to use the full back area, I'll fold the bench down, slide this homemade deck forward and lock it in place. Then I would have 2 more rear deck sections, one to make full use of the rear compartment space to the closed tailgate. And a final section, that would add on and extend the deck onto the dropped tailgate.

Can I ask you? Where did you get that cool tailgate/window enclosure tent? Did you make that? I would like something like that, to keep the bugs and weather out.

Awesome ideas. Thanks..
-Jay
Hi Jay... I responded to the pm comments but there's a text limit. Ya, if I were to build this again I probably would have built two separate longitudinal boxes so I could take one out for when "living" inside the truck. Getting in and out involves a lot of crawling around which gets pretty old, pretty quick. And now that I have a second Border Collie added to the camping mix I may really have to re-think this layout if I have to fit two large crates. Again, the tent is 1DAC large size. Fits the 80 perfectly but not sure about a 60 but it should be fine.

Chris

Here is what I did in my 80. This is the second time I have built one of these in a truck. First time was in a Tacoma, made it out of 5/8's and 2x4's. Way to overbuilt and heavy. Different vehicle though, in the Taco I had removed the back seats in the DC. I had what I called my "Buddy" box on one side and a 45MT Engel on the other. The Buddy box is a place for my dog to hang out, his name is Buddy, with storage under that. The fridge I had slide out the door. Worked really well actually in the DC portion of the truck. I had a shell on the bed. In there is where I built the platform. It worked great for storage but to sleep required a slide out shelf for my feet. I slept in there for about 1.5 months on a 3 month trip to Panama. It got old, real old. Very tight, middle of the night pee sucked badly. I called it the "coffin" cause that was what it was like.

This time around I made it out of 1/2" and 1x2's and used biscuits plus glue. Much lighter, whole thing weighs about 50lbs or so. From the taco to this, this is huge amounts of room for me. I can't sit upright 100% since I built the chest/platform fairly tall but I am ok with that. All I do in there is sleep, not hang out. It is basically just a chest. I keep my high lift in it which for me is the perfect spot for my high lift. Plenty of room inside it. I have both my batteries in the small box seen in front of the fridge along with my NL 2nd batt kit and a Blue Sea fuse block for accessories. I slept in my truck every night for three weeks last month on a trip to Baja. Pretty comfy for me with a 3" thick Thermarest. I can sleep inside too with the back door closed, stretched out. I just have to flip the front seat forward a bit. I am 5ft 11".

10404286_10200282390300347_4364273593134466386_n.jpg

10959373_10200282344859211_6751549574933035689_n.jpg

10994255_10200282386980264_1862505655280949201_n.jpg

10978702_10200282387820285_8596050723465826952_n.jpg

After 6hrs sleep in 48hrs and then a 18hr drive I tested it out! :)

05.jpg

I left areas open that you can see in the pics in order to allow me to stuff things up in there like a jacket or sleeping bag or whatever. I can also reach up into the chest or whatnot and grab items without having to open the lids on the chest. This is real nice when you have stuff strapped down to the top of the chest and don't want to pull it out for say that quart of oil or hoodie. The truck is a little heavier on the side of the chest. I think I may dump the rear seat and make more chest in that location. That will balance the weight better. Once I am done messing with it and making changes I will carpet it.

I should add two more tidbits of info. After having this truck more than a year and then after building the platform, I am using my rear sliding windows for the first time. Perfect to ventilate, I just want some screens now to keep the bugs out. I have an ARB awning mounted on the same side of the truck as the sleeping platform. In Baja it rained more than was expected. With the awning deployed, I could sleep with the door window down or the sliding windows open and not get wet inside the truck.

Cheers

Last edited:
Here is what I did in my 80. This is the second time I have built one of these in a truck. First time was in a Tacoma, made it out of 5/8's and 2x4's. Way to overbuilt and heavy. Different vehicle though, in the Taco I had removed the back seats in the DC. I had what I called my "Buddy" box on one side and a 45MT Engel on the other. The Buddy box is a place for my dog to hang out, his name is Buddy, with storage under that. The fridge I had slide out the door. Worked really well actually in the DC portion of the truck. I had a shell on the bed. In there is where I built the platform. It worked great for storage but to sleep required a slide out shelf for my feet. I slept in there for about 1.5 months on a 3 month trip to Panama. It got old, real old. Very tight, middle of the night pee sucked badly. I called it the "coffin" cause that was what it was like.

This time around I made it out of 1/2" and 1x2's and used biscuits plus glue. Much lighter, whole thing weighs about 50lbs or so. From the taco to this, this is huge amounts of room for me. I can't sit upright 100% since I built the chest/platform fairly tall but I am ok with that. All I do in there is sleep, not hang out. It is basically just a chest. I keep my high lift in it which for me is the perfect spot for my high lift. Plenty of room inside it. I have both my batteries in the small box seen in front of the fridge along with my NL 2nd batt kit and a Blue Sea fuse block for accessories. I slept in my truck every night for three weeks last month on a trip to Baja. Pretty comfy for me with a 3" thick Thermarest. I can sleep inside too with the back door closed, stretched out. I just have to flip the front seat forward a bit. I am 5ft 11".

10404286_10200282390300347_4364273593134466386_n.jpg

10959373_10200282344859211_6751549574933035689_n.jpg

10994255_10200282386980264_1862505655280949201_n.jpg

10978702_10200282387820285_8596050723465826952_n.jpg

After 6hrs sleep in 48hrs and then a 18hr drive I tested it out! :)

05.jpg

I left areas open that you can see in the pics in order to allow me to stuff things up in there like a jacket or sleeping bag or whatever. I can also reach up into the chest or whatnot and grab items without having to open the lids on the chest. This is real nice when you have stuff strapped down to the top of the chest and don't want to pull it out for say that quart of oil or hoodie. The truck is a little heavier on the side of the chest. I think I may dump the rear seat and make more chest in that location. That will balance the weight better. Once I am done messing with it and making changes I will carpet it.

I should add two more tidbits of info. After having this truck more than a year and then after building the platform, I am using my rear sliding windows for the first time. Perfect to ventilate, I just want some screens now to keep the bugs out. I have an ARB awning mounted on the same side of the truck as the sleeping platform. In Baja it rained more than was expected. With the awning deployed, I could sleep with the door window down or the sliding windows open and not get wet inside the truck.

Cheers
Nice detail bro. Info that will help many with "expo itch" to make their rigs . ;)

Here’s one more option: I put together a "micro-RV" camper using a Ford cargo van (it's huge in there compared to a pickup topper!) and I've been traveling the west for 3 years. I put together a little book about how I did it...
http://rogersteen.squarespace.com
Roger

I think this is a tech kind of thread. If you want to sell a book, try somewhere else.

After perusing through this thread, I've noticed that everyone is setting up their sleeping arrangement in the BACK of the car.

When traveling alone, I sleep in the FRONT of the FJ60...On the modified and judiciously bolstered passenger seat that has been fully reclined flat.

The rear seat is removed from the truck, and the glove box lower support cut out to make room for the feet.

Stuff is placed on the passenger's foot well to create a foot support.

It is a most comfortable bed with a mid thick air mattress on top of the seat.

While traveling, bags can be placed on it, then when it's time to sleep, the bags can be placed to the side and you can literally just roll over into it.

The great thing about that spot is that you are facing forward with the back seat rest at your head. You can look out the windshield if you want and have plenty of head room. The rear passenger window is right next to your head so you can easily adjust ventilation.

I slept like that in the cruiser, car camping for two years in Baja MX and it was always very comfortable and relaxing.

It's also a good place for stealth quick sleeping, when you need to just pull over and get some sleep asap and leave first thing in the morning. Literally all you've got to do is roll over into the drivers seat, start the car, and drive.

After perusing through this thread, I've noticed that everyone is setting up their sleeping arrangement in the BACK of the car.

When traveling alone, I sleep in the FRONT of the FJ60...On the modified and judiciously bolstered passenger seat that has been fully reclined flat.

The rear seat is removed from the truck, and the glove box lower support cut out to make room for the feet.

Stuff is placed on the passenger's foot well to create a foot support.

It is a most comfortable bed with a mid thick air mattress on top of the seat.

While traveling, bags can be placed on it, then when it's time to sleep, the bags can be placed to the side and you can literally just roll over into it.

The great thing about that spot is that you are facing forward with the back seat rest at your head. You can look out the windshield if you want and have plenty of head room. The rear passenger window is right next to your head so you can easily adjust ventilation.

I slept like that in the cruiser, car camping for two years in Baja MX and it was always very comfortable and relaxing.

It's also a good place for stealth quick sleeping, when you need to just pull over and get some sleep asap and leave first thing in the morning. Literally all you've got to do is roll over into the drivers seat, start the car, and drive.

Could you put up some pictures of this sleeping arrangement? I'm curious.

No pics of the bed.
This spot would be a tighter fit for someone 6' or taller.
I'm 5'10, and the length is perfect.

Got a pic of the cutout glove box though.
image.jpeg

This is the spot:
image.jpeg

I previously mentioned this "mod" in the "best mods under $50" thread.

Best Mods under $50...

Best Mods under $50...

Rear seat back rest is locked upright in the normal position. Rear seat is removed and left at home. Or in my case tossed in the trash.

Since the rear seat back is angled and a nice soft cushion, it makes a great head rest if you scootch back into if you want to read in bed (or look out the windshield at the view) with your head more upright.

Also from this position, the dome light is within easy reach, so is the passenger's rear grab handle that you'll always use. Also getting out of or into the bed is very manly, as you're using the front door, instead of crawling into and out of a cramped coffin like a Varmit when a bed is built on top of full length sliders. :)

The passenger's front seat hinge is modified so the seat will recline all the way flat. Stuff is placed under the back when reclined to support it flat.

I use folded up towels to fill the low spots to make it more level, then put a camp air mattress on top.

Gear is stored in stacked containers behind rear seat back (no sliders), and in a few tall square buckets behind driver's seat. Containers in back are lashed down. Two jerry cans of water fit inside the car too. Soft things are stored on reclined passenger's seat bed, or behind it if it is put in the upright position.
A Pelican 1550 watertight case is stored on the passenger 's front footwell. Other stuff is stored in tall skinny square buckets resting on their sides up on the rack under a tarp.
An ARB fridge (if you've got one) can fit behind the driver's seat instead of buckets. But it would be right next to your ear.

I've slept in the FJ60 every imaginable way possible. For me, when traveling (sleeping) alone, this is by far the best setup I've used.

I've played around with the idea of completely removing the passenger's seat for solo camping trips and building a dedicated flat proper bed in that location.. to have a flatter surface to sleep on, but the trouble of building something that was a significant upgrade didn't seem worth it, since I'm happy with how it works now.

I've got HJ61 seats in my 60 that I bought used from SOR in 1989.
They are the fuzzy velour upgrades with suspension brackets that we didn't get in the USA.

Bending the bracket to allow the seat to lie flat only required some determination and some Vice Grips. Don't remember exactly, but on that seat it wasn't difficult to modify.

too much dead space with the aluminium system. Plus the plastic connectors aren't sturdy enough IMO. I tried them to make a aprtial, removal rear platform for the space at the second row seats. I busted a few of the connectors after a couple of uses, and gave up on it

wood does seem softer...and quieter. but the aluminum is shiney!

too much dead space with the aluminium system. Plus the plastic connectors aren't sturdy enough IMO. I tried them to make a aprtial, removal rear platform for the space at the second row seats. I busted a few of the connectors after a couple of uses, and gave up on it

You could be right. I found a company near me that sells a similar product. It will be permenately installed so I'm not worried about having hold up over repeated use. My only concern is torsional rigidity. I'll see how they look and decide from there.

I am making a sleeping platform to support a twin mattress I purchased for the cruiser camper. I have a 7x12 cargo trailer base camp so cruiser is primarily for off road camping, touring, urban traveling, short trips, etc so I don't need to bring everything. It has a 4" topper on top, and I want to be able to sit up and do things if the weather is bad, so no storage underneath. Plenty of storage for me on either side of mattress and light stuff on roof rack.

No pics of the bed.
This spot would be a tighter fit for someone 6' or taller.
I'm 5'10, and the length is perfect.

Got a pic of the cutout glove box though.
View attachment 1161072

This is the spot:
View attachment 1161086

I previously mentioned this "mod" in the "best mods under $50" thread.

Best Mods under $50...

Best Mods under $50...

Rear seat back rest is locked upright in the normal position. Rear seat is removed and left at home. Or in my case tossed in the trash.

Since the rear seat back is angled and a nice soft cushion, it makes a great head rest if you scootch back into if you want to read in bed (or look out the windshield at the view) with your head more upright.

Also from this position, the dome light is within easy reach, so is the passenger's rear grab handle that you'll always use. Also getting out of or into the bed is very manly, as you're using the front door, instead of crawling into and out of a cramped coffin like a Varmit when a bed is built on top of full length sliders. :)

The passenger's front seat hinge is modified so the seat will recline all the way flat. Stuff is placed under the back when reclined to support it flat.

I use folded up towels to fill the low spots to make it more level, then put a camp air mattress on top.

Gear is stored in stacked containers behind rear seat back (no sliders), and in a few tall square buckets behind driver's seat. Containers in back are lashed down. Two jerry cans of water fit inside the car too. Soft things are stored on reclined passenger's seat bed, or behind it if it is put in the upright position.
A Pelican 1550 watertight case is stored on the passenger 's front footwell. Other stuff is stored in tall skinny square buckets resting on their sides up on the rack under a tarp.
An ARB fridge (if you've got one) can fit behind the driver's seat instead of buckets. But it would be right next to your ear.

I've slept in the FJ60 every imaginable way possible. For me, when traveling (sleeping) alone, this is by far the best setup I've used.

I've played around with the idea of completely removing the passenger's seat for solo camping trips and building a dedicated flat proper bed in that location.. to have a flatter surface to sleep on, but the trouble of building something that was a significant upgrade didn't seem worth it, since I'm happy with how it works now.

Genius, this would be great for my situation because I have dogs. This way they could muck up the back all they want and no traumatic paw cleaning every time we load up after the beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom