Electric Onboard Air pump suggestions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking at this one too, the only problem with it is that it's not as good as the ARB twin, I just found some sites where I can buy just the ARB compressor for less than $500.

Not sure what you are comparing to get the arb compressor to be "better," but I highly doubt that it is. I can't find the hp rating of the arb twin pumps, but you should remember that hp is directly related to pressure*flow rate. I'm skeptical that the arb twin has a true 100% duty rating, but I've never tested it out. I know those who have used the magnum air know it is a sweet little unit, just expensive. But, if it was between the magnum and the arb, i'd spend a few extra bucks and get the known better pump. JMO.

I spent the extra bucks to have it mounted outside of the cab, which with young kids and all my wife's crap, it makes it easy to access and doesn't startle the kids as much. If I was to get something mounted inside, I would get a puma.

Not sure what you are comparing to get the arb compressor to be "better," but I highly doubt that it is. I can't find the hp rating of the arb twin pumps, but you should remember that hp is directly related to pressure*flow rate. I'm skeptical that the arb twin has a true 100% duty rating, but I've never tested it out. I know those who have used the magnum air know it is a sweet little unit, just expensive. But, if it was between the magnum and the arb, i'd spend a few extra bucks and get the known better pump. JMO.

I spent the extra bucks to have it mounted outside of the cab, which with young kids and all my wife's crap, it makes it easy to access and doesn't startle the kids as much. If I was to get something mounted inside, I would get a puma.
I'm not trying to down play the magnum pump, it looks and sounds like a great pump. That being said. The ARB puts out very slightly better CFM according to their rep. It really is a negligible difference. It is slightly lighter, it can be mounted externally also. The other thing is that it takes 32 amps less to operate unless its constantly at 100% duty which means it will draw 26 fewer amps which is also a consideration. The magnum will put out more PSI hands down, but my existing tank is only rated to 170psi and the safety valve is set at 160 and my spare is good to 150. So I have the parts already to hook up the ARB or similarly rated pump. So I'm not necessarily saying the ARB is better all around, but for the sake of very slightly better CFM without additional system changes for a lower price point it makes more sense for me, that and it's packed to where I can use the dead space in my rear quarter panel which has a grommet to the outside where my tank is only a couple feet away. All of that being said, I don't want to pay the $400+ for an ARB either.

I'm beginning to like the PUMA option more and more.

The Extreme air magnum is the next size up in power and displacement, so will out perform the Puma. The standard Extreme air is in the same class as the Puma and performs on par.

Compressors can be, have been, mounted in lots of places. For best life and performance they need clean air that is as cool as possible, so my first choice is indoors and not in a confined space.

The old Puma thread: Puma 12V Compressor

Here's a good setup for the money :cool:

AirMaxxx 480 Dual Black Compressors 5 Gallon Tank Air Bag Suspension 200psi Kit | eBay

You can get the compressors for ~$90 bucks each (just put one in my Xb) and pick up a smaller 3 Gallon aluminum tank that will fit nicely on the side of the frame rail (where I have mine mounted)

Air brake tubing is cheap and easy to route.

I have flush mount bulkheads on my rear bumper wings with a ball valve so I can easily screw an air coupling in place for my air hose.

Also have a tank drain solenoid for draining moisture (and target practice lol)

My Puma is awesome. I have used it on the trail for tires and impact and remote construction projects for nail guns. I still use it on occasion but now I'm spoiled by my York OBA now though. Bringing up a 37" tire to street pressure in 45 seconds is awesome!

My Puma is awesome. I have used it on the trail for tires and impact and remote construction projects for nail guns. I still use it on occasion but now I'm spoiled by my York OBA now though. Bringing up a 37" tire to street pressure in 45 seconds is awesome!

I agree the York is the mac daddy for air but what was your total cost on the complete set up?

I paid 265 for the bracket and pulley. I ended up buying a new pump and clutch on ebay for 130. I had the manifold, pressure switch, gauge and fittings already. I also made my own adapters for the pump to hose. The pair system had to come out of my 94 but left a perfect place on the air filter to plumb for clean air. I also had to make the block off plates for the exhaust manifold and get a coolant hard line off of a later model. None of this is needed on a 95 - 97. I believe Joey (nlxtacy) has all of this, minus the coolant line, but I haven't kept up on his thread. I'm sure you know this. Just adding it for reference.

Any compressor that plugs in a lighter outlet is a POS....any
I would agree. There was some other VatoZone/PepBoys compressor that was similar people had talked about. Wondering if this would work in a pinch.

Reactions: b16
:eek: 110lbs! York and a starter motor. I'll stick to engine driven. Gonna have to run it anyway to keep the battery charged.

The MV50 is a decent little unit. They are expensive now though. I had one before my puma, before my York :). It's slow especially in thin air at elevation but will get it done. I gave it to my brother. Got it when they first came out for $30 and it's still cranking along.

Any input on the Viair 450p? They claim 100% duty cycle. Wondering how it would compare to a PUMA if hooked up to a 2 gallon tank.

@LandCruisinMy93, of your only usage... Or even primary usage... Is to air up and only run an impact wrench, have you considered a battery powered impact wrench? It might serve you better and you could buy one with the money you save by getting a lower cost compressor. Just an alternative thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom