Turbo for My 4D33. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me introduce myself :- I'm Dan from Gladstone Qld Australia. That's done.
I've searched a lot on the net for answers and there is a lot of info on the Ricer Forums but not covering diesel engines. This Forum comes up trumps (not political) on that and I'm hopeing some of that knowledge will be sent my way.

I own a Mitsubishi Canter FG637 (4x4), it's engine is a 4D33 four cylinder 4.2 litre.
Snapshot - 1.jpg

I've built a custom exhaust manifold for it and polished the inside. The turbo at the time that was recommended for it was a TDO6SL2-20g (turbine AR 8cm) that works well at road speed but not when offroad as boost comes in to late.
DSCF3287a.jpg

DSCF3300a.jpg

Now this has been running for a while. Let me go into it a bit more. Fuel screw has been opened 1.5 turns I see boost start at about 1700Rpm (2/3psi) and climbs steadily to reach 11Psi at around 3000Rpm. This turbo doesn't have a wastegate and no external is fitted (could be done if necessary). We also have a 3" exhaust fitted from turbo to end including a straight through muffler which is out just before the rear right wheel.
I know now that the turbo is to large for this engine - After a lot of reading. What I need or a least would like is some one with a lot more knowledge than me to be able to recommend the right one to fit.
Like I said it is good on the highway but when we are just steadily going down a road (1800 rpm) and give it a little on the throttle because of a little bit of incline in the road my exhaust temps start to climb and fast. I know from over fueling at next to no boost. My injector pump is not fitted with a boost compensator so we can't adjust that (another thing we are working on).
I'd like to see boost come in at 1300rpm (if possibly). Engine red line is at 3400rpm.

I know quite long for first post on this site and if your are interested in more of my vehicle and trips I'm on Expedition Portal - search Aussie Iron.
Dan.

A little more info that I can shed on my situation. I have an AFR meter fitted and my readings are :- Idle --22.2 to1 , 3000 rpm (highway cruise at 100Ks/H - 60Mph) it reads 17/18 to 1. In the zone that I have a problem (1700/1800rpm) I get a reading of 13/14 to 1, this is with a little throttle.

Dan.

Well I've been working in the back ground with one of our local (I8MUD) knowledgeable people and have now ordered a turbo that will be fitted and trialed. It is going to be a TD05-16G large compressor wheel, 7cm turbine housing and 12 blade turbine wheel.

Here's Hoping,
Dan.

Hi Dan
I was searching the net on how to turn up the fuel pressure on the 4d33 engine,and found your posts on this site. Since you have the same engine as me, could you please help me out with where on the pump the adjuster is and how to do it??
I’m installing a turbo from a 4d34 engine and want to make sure I don’t lean it out.
As for my user name, it wouldn’t let me register with whatever username I came up with, and I tried Ooooo and it worked. Still trying to figure out how to change it
Cheers Nik

Well I've been working in the back ground with one of our local (I8MUD) knowledgeable people and have now ordered a turbo that will be fitted and trialed. It is going to be a TD05-16G large compressor wheel, 7cm turbine housing and 12 blade turbine wheel.

Here's Hoping,
Dan.
Hi Dan, i have the same truck, how did the new turbo go, looking at doing the same thing.

Dan, I’m in Need of more power out of my 4d33 (2002) how’d you go with the TD05-16G
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom