Mercedes 280GE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone own a 280GE that can express an opinion on the ownership experience?
Thanks.....
image.jpg

I have a 1982 280GE, I know this is a old post but what would you like to know? It's a very capable and stable vehicle off-road but aftermarket modifications is very limited. The M110 engine isn't going to win any races but is a very reliable engine that Mercedes used a lot of their vehicles, the diff locks (Frt/RR) are hydraulic actuated, solid front axle that is similar to a land cruiser with closed knuckles/Birfield joints but doesn't have removable 3rd members, transfer case is part time 2wd/4hi/4lo (some have PTO option), and suspension is Coils/radius arms Frt/RR. There are a few forums with a ton of information that are dedicated to G Wagens.
Here's the sites that I use for information and parts.
Mercedes G-Wagon information - Mercedes-Benz G-Class Gelandewagen - G-Class enthusiast site - repair and owners manuals (This guy is the Guru of G Wagens)
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/index.php?showall=true
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/
Eurotruck Importers, Your source for Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles and spare parts! (Parted Supplier in Atlanta, GA)
MERCEDES W460 230GE, 280GE, 300GD PARTSand ACCESSORIES. (Parts Supplier in New Jersey I think)
Offroad World | Mercedes Benz used Parts | (Used Parts Source/Supplier in Germany)

Here's my 280GE, we enjoy driving it and it gets lots of attention. People aren't use to seeing a G Wagon on steel wheels and mud tires. MY only complaint it the cost to repair, currently it's down due to a busted front axle/CV.
10699732_10204263114634518_2312037046047038526_o.jpg

1531723_10204499424302112_1328352735645772203_o.jpg

Thanks for the information. I've always liked the looks of the older G Wagons but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

I'm totally sold on them. I have yet to find a vehicle that is anywhere near as rugged, and the diesel in mine is fantastic. Parts are crazy expensive, though.
7X4A2073.jpg

7X4A2080.jpg

Late to the posting party.

I was fortunate enough to do a try before you buy from a seller.For context I was looking it the $18-20K range.

He loaned me a 1988 280ge LWB that had been converted to a 300d. Drove it for two weeks before I gave it back.

Came to USA via Vancouver (on a tiny island) via Germany.

146k.

I loved it and I hated it.

1) front axle. This thing was seriously over built and bombproof. Until it isn't.
Upon inspection the front tires were radically cupped, indicator one. The first couple days the wheel wells were clean, then slowly by the gallon they had bird soup all over the place. Indicator 2.

Quote: $1200 in parts. About$100 in three types of grease and $3000-4400 in labor. Could have done it myself, maybe. but that's crazy. I think there some SST you need too.

Just about every part on the rig was 2-3x cost of comparable parts, with the majority being sourced in the EU. So shipping and timing is factor.

2) rust. Not since an international scout have I seen such rust. A pillars. B pillars under floor. Rear doors. Cargo door. Under windshield. Headlight buckets. Rocker panels. Frame rails. And that was with an off frame resto 10-12 years ago when it was conveted to D power. I saw tons of welded in steel patches, that were re-rusting. Funny thing is looking at it, it looks like a 2 year old rig. I looked at a bunch of G's at that price point and all had some cancer somewhere.

This one really needed another of frame resto. $$$$

All depends where they lived prior to import. I think Dutch ones are the best at rusting themselves to bits, and apparently ones that lived on tiny Canadian islands for 10 years are pretty good at it too.

3) the po, in two years of ownership had done 10-12k in repairs that didn't seem to fix anything. It was a long list of receipts and work orders and non of it seemed like baseline level stuff, and still needed radiator upper hose was rock hard and overheated at idle after 5 mins, brakes spongey and distant, exhaust holey, vibe in drive line and lockers needed serious repair, front was DNF (lever wouldn't pull at all).

The diesel power plant however was a gem. But nearly everything else needed love.

3) speed. 0-60 in ???? No idea. I was too scared to hit 60. Way to much vibration in the Drive line and front end. But might have been 20 seconds to 55.

What I loved. Driving it, as sloth like as it was it had an appeal. Looking at it-that box is goergeous. Low end torque. The electric door locks sound like a Remington 870 racking a shell. There really is nothing like them.

Had I found a better example that the California DMV would have allowed in. I might be driving one, but after a two year search...I bought an 80 series.

I drove a couple 463's as well. Completely diff drive feel, abs, e lockers, wood, leather. Much better as a DD. Harder to find, more $$$ due to model years now just being able to be imported to USA.

The bigger issue is wiring on the later models. At some point in the 90's MB switched to some BS eco-wiring that basically invites electrical gremlins to the party as it disintegrates. No Beuno.

I found Club G wagon forum to be a great community with lots of knowledge and friendly folk.

There's a dude in Germany, Guido, that is a g wagon god. I almost bought one of his German Army Wolfe 461s, talked with him several times, was first in line before he listed it on the site, but ran into trouble with California DMV and the capriciousness of their idioticy, and pulled the rip cord. Sad frowny face....

Holy crap, had to look...new owner just received it a couple days ago wow...1987 W460 250GD LL WOLF - Page 5 - Club G-Wagen Forum

He's at off road world listed above in the links. When/if we move to Texas I'll open up this can of worms again.

Mastodon in CO has some nice rigs, i think. And if you can pay for the Europa G's that we're converted in New Mexico-they are pretty stout.

IMG_5353.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom