fj80 rear heater necessity or does removing make big difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see several threads on bypassing and removing this however I would like to get a consensus of 80 series owners that have this removed and don't feel that it affects heating operation for the rear passengers. I will be going into cold climates in the snow and wanted to see if it's absolutely necessary to have this thing or if the blower from the front we'll handle it.

I live in az so it is hotju most of the year, but the kids go up wheeling and camping in the snow winter time.... is I really worth keeping?

My heater is not faulty, just trying to get opinions.

I leave mine on low all winter. It acts like seat warmer. Heat wafts up between the seats near the parking brake also.

When the kids get cold and wet from playing in the snow in the mountains. They appreciate the heat. It does kick out a lot of heat when you need it.

I replaced the hoses with green stripe a couple summers ago when I replaced the cats. If it's not rusted out, keep it. If it is bypass it.

I was wondering the same thing since I live in southern California. Only occasionally drive up into real cold weather.

Most people remove/bypass the rear heater because of corrosion of the metal lines. In AZ you should not have that problem. In the event the engine overheats having both heaters blasting on high can be the difference in allowing you to keep runing. The rear heater can make a diiference in drying out the moisture in carpets, boots, gloves and clothes as well as helping to defrost/defog the windows.

I decided to replace my lines while I have the Landy torn apart. I pulled them today though going to wait till i can clean the underside better to spray it with fresh undercoat to install the new lines. I live in coast SC and it never gets that cold but I plan on going places that will be later on, decided it would be a good idea to retain it and make sure they were good.

I don't know what it's like in the backseat, but the front is ridiculously hot. Hot enough up front that I don't think it's much of a deal after 10-15 mins driving for the backseat without it. If it gets down to 0 or below soon ( I'm sure it will :( ) I'll put some thermometers in and see how long it takes to get to the 2nd and 3rd row as an experiment.

I recently bypassed my rear heater in my '92 due to concern over corrosion of the hard lines. I live in an area that frequently experiences below 0 deg F temps. As long as the front heater is in proper operating condition I haven't found any real need for the rear heater. My front heater blazes after just a few minutes of run time to where I'm running it at low fan speed and the temp adjusted down even when it's frigid outside.

On my '92, when I bypassed the heater I went from 11 pieces/sections of rubber hose (so 22 hose clamps) down to 3 hoses (so just 6 clamps). I am an engineer, so it gives me a warm fuzzy to eliminate that many known potential failure points.

After this cold winter I know I am keeping mine. The kids in the back appreciate the extra heat.

If mine leak I will replace hard lines and give the new ones 5 coats of max high temp paint.

I took mine out because its one less place too leak. I just welded a plate over the hole.

After this cold winter I know I am keeping mine. The kids in the back appreciate the extra heat.

If mine leak I will replace hard lines and give the new ones 5 coats of max high temp paint.
To replace the hard lines you pretty much have to remove the transmission...so....Good luck!

Rear Heater line removal

I look to remove the rear heat because I never need or use it, to eliminate several common failure points, gain a ton of useful space under the seat. My need for a place to secure my camera and laptop is much greater than needs for a rear heater.

I look to remove the rear heat because I never need or use it, to eliminate several common failure points, gain a ton of useful space under the seat. My need for a place to secure my camera and laptop is much greater than needs for a rear heater.
But in all fairness Phil we don't all travel in a gypsey caravan loaded to the hilt like yourself where we need that extra 144 cubic inches of storage:rofl: and traveling with a laptop is bad for them even if it's just walking with it in a laptop case, c'mon Phil

But in all fairness Phil we don't all travel in a gypsey caravan loaded to the hilt like yourself where we need that extra 144 cubic inches of storage:rofl: and traveling with a laptop is bad for them even if it's just walking with it in a laptop case, c'mon Phil

Does that make my reasons invalid. Loaded to the hilt....you dont see no junk hanging all over my Land Cruiser:grinpimp:

Does that make my reasons invalid. Loaded to the hilt....you dont see no junk hanging all over my Land Cruiser:grinpimp:
Nobody ever accused you of being unprepared that's for sure.

I use mine all the time in winter. I dont like the front heat on my face or feet. It gives more of a evenly distributed heat imo.

when the pipes looked badle corroded i replaced them with oem. There in two sections iirc. I replaced the section thats accessible. Whzt i could see of the rest seemed ok.

I literally never use mine and it gets super cold where I live. If it starts leaking it's getting removed.

I use it for my kids in the back. Also nice for warming boots. haha.

I just bypassed the hard lines and ran heater hose all the way to the rear heater, zip tying it along the way. Wasn't that difficult to do.

Interesting, it seems that a lot of owners have a hate on for the rear heater because of corrosion and eventually coolant leaks. To solve this problem they bypass the entire system of hard lines and delete the heater. Has anyone ever bypassed the corroded hardlines with new hose to keep the heater functioning? I have yet to come across this on mud. As a subarctic dweller I feel the rear heat is a option I want to keep, despite my battle against rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom