CV boots (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put remanufacured cv axels in the front. The clamp that tightens it is loose now and grease splaterd everywere. Has anyone else had this problem after driveing for 4k miles. Wht is the name of the clamp and what kind of grease should I use to add. The grease is a light blue color. Does anyone know the name of the grease?

20170111_205857.jpg

20170111_210036.jpg

I use normal MP grease in the boots, but others might know of something better. You can buy what I would call a metal zip tie at automotive shops. They work ok but are a little tricky to tighten. IIRC Toyota sells the boots with the clamps, so it would be on the expensive side. Worth checking the dealer for those clamps on their own.

Last edited:
jgrant is there another term for MP great, I cant find it online..

Mp grease. But I don't think you can replace the CV boot clamp with it still on the truck.

Ok thanks mudder. Yah the boot clamp tightens when you push it, it doesn't tie around like a belt.

MP Grease. Sorry about the auto correct. I cut off my failed clamp, and used the metal zip ties to replace it. this could be done with the boot still on the truck, but would require patience, and checking and re-tightening later.

CV joints really should have CV Joint grease. It is an extreme pressure, extreme temperature grease. I use Redline's synthetic CV-2 grease for CV's and Birfields both.

Oetiker is one brand that makes that clamp. Needs a special tool to tighten those clamps. For repairs I usually use a clamp tool and some Ø.032" or Ø.040" safety wire to clamp CV boots.

What kind of metal zip ties? I tried metal clamps (The ones you screw in with a screw driver) but it was to wide.

My two cents are just pull it again and do it right. It'll take more time but that way you know it is done right and it'll save you headaches in the long run

The ties are stainless steel and are 14" long. Made by a company called Prowin. I forget where I got them. I clipped off the excess once it was installed. Definitely work as at least a temporary repair or a field repair. As Mudder says, it would be better to pull the whole shaft, but I won't be doing that until the snow, ice, and rain have more or less stopped. I looked at the Oetker clamps last time I looked at my boots, but I think the price for the tool was quite high in Canada.

Amazon

You can buy clamp kits, pliers, even small tubes of special grease for surprisingly cheap.

Not sure if this will work for your truck, but some of the guys on the 100 series forum are using worm clamps from Mcmaster Carr with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom