Props for JM Rigging- overbraided synthetic line. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Until this point I've always stuck with wire rope because it's been locally available and I've always been concerned about abrasion with synthetic rope as often in my recovery is the wire rope ends up against something and also I plan on keeping the stock fairlead (pto winch.) so when I learned about over braided rope I was very interested. The idea of not having take my rope off and wash it as well as not having to worry about it getting kinked up when it overlaps itself on the pull was very attractive. My last wire rope parted on such a kink and while I was safely far away when it happened the way it snapped up against the tree that it was tied off too made a good case for a safer rope.

I found 2 sources for sheathed rope. One was Trail Gear and the other was Masterpull. Trail gear's rope is not heatset and as a result is thicker thus reducing the length of rope I can fit on the drum. Masterpull xd was not available and very expensive. They just restocked and the max length for a 3/8 rope is 85'. I wanted a longer rope.

I just happened to come across a posting about JM Rigging with a link to their Facebook page with info about their current offerings (which were not listed on their webpage last I looked.) https://www.facebook.com/jmriggingsupply/Jim has among other choices a heatset (prestretched) line that essentially gives thinner line with the same strength rating as it had originally. This allows a final size of 3/8 for example even after adding the exterior sheath. Also he's using sk99 which from what I understand is the most advanced line from Dyneema. its sheathed with sk78 for abrasion resistance.

Jim was great to work with. Very friendly on the phone and great get it great advice. There was a mistake with the shipping and he more than made up for by ponying up for three- five days service to Japan. Additionally he comes in with the attitude of let's make a rope that you need. He's not just selling stock off the shelf. I too am a small business owner and recognize the earmarks of a respectable practice.

Here's the goods:

100' 3/8 line with the overbraid, 12 mm soft shackle and 100 foot SK 78 extension line.
IMG_0194.JPG

I thought this guarded thimble was a great idea. After all the loop does get thrown around quite a bit.
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

I just want to let you guys know about this option if you're looking for a good rope that's easy to keep clean and abrasion resistant. Of course it's more expensive than a rope that's not over braided but I think in my case it'll prove to be cost-effective in the long run.

I'll post up again when I get a spooled up.

Pete

Last edited:
Here is is all spooled up. For reference- I searched many times- this is what 100' of 3/8' line looks like on the pto drum. I'm considering taking 25' off to get more room for short pulls on the I'll have a 25' extension of need be. I'd hate to see this line get screwed up by bunching up too much or it on one one side of the drum during an off center pull. And with the soft shackles adding 25' extension will be a cinch- literally.

One advantage that's realized instantly with the synthetic vs wire that is never mentioned is how when you drop tension on the line it doesn't loosen (recoil?) on the drum which was always a problem in terms of getting a pull without haveing the line overlap itself. The winds on the drum stay nice and neat even without tension.

IMG_0197.JPG

Pete

Awesome rope. I wonder how much length of 3/8" would be good for my Warn 9.5XP? 80' to 85' I think.

I would contact Warn and ask them. Definitely a cut this rope down A little bit. I think a short rope using extensions when necessary is probably the best strategy if you do any short pulls.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom