Where are you carrying your H20 for camping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you strap down the water tank, or does it just sit in the footwell?

Just sits in the footwell. But I always assume the worst. If the truck flips, the sleeping platform holds it down against the floor, even with water in it.

^ huh? Your sig shows you have an ARB Fridge... Keep container or two of water in the fridge... That's what I do.

cheers,
george.
Okay that makes sense. Fill up a few bottles. Put them in the fridge. Go from there.
MY EIfe an I usually avg near a gallon a day, plus dog water and coffee.
The fridge is new so still learning how to most optimize its use.
Thanks, George!
-Derek

Yes, I plan on carrying lots of water in my new National Luna Weekender 50 Twin too, that will save me from having to bring more than just the two Rotopax two gallon containers.

Im from the school of dont put all you water in one container. I carry 13.5 gals in 5 containers.

Why-
This make filling a lot easier and carry
A good way to monitor available water
Ability to move a container when needed other then at my LC
No worries of a tank failure and being without.
I use one 3.5 gal with a free flow 2' hose water spigot for convenience and water for the dog

spigot.jpg

View attachment 1380999

Yes, I have this. I've been using it for about 2 years now. Very thick (whatever material) it's made from. Doesn't leak. For my needs it's perfect. I set one end of my sleeping platform on it. (I'll take some pics tomorrow)
How does that fit in the 80? Looks like you needed to "shim" it a bit? I like this...

I have a scepter 5 gal, and two cheapo Reliance ones, a 5 gal cube and a 7 gal kind Jerry can style one. I'll bring one, two, or all three as need dictates. I'm about to get an external carrier for my 4x4Labs rack for more storage options...

Do you strap down the water tank, or does it just sit in the footwell?
Looks like it just sits in the footwell. Website says you can ratchet strap it to the seat mounts maybe.

How does that fit in the 80? Looks like you needed to "shim" it a bit? I like this...

I only had to shim it up a bit because I wanted the sleeping platform at that height for my dogs when they are on that platform when on the road. If I didn't need it that height, I wouldn't need to raise the watertank up at all. That shim is just wasted valuable space.

I have a scepter 5 gal, and two cheapo Reliance ones, a 5 gal cube and a 7 gal kind Jerry can style one. I'll bring one, two, or all three as need dictates. I'm about to get an external carrier for my 4x4Labs rack for more storage options...

Looks like it just sits in the footwell. Website says you can ratchet strap it to the seat mounts maybe.

Yes, you can rachet strap it to the floor support of the front and rear seats if you didn't have my set up.

...... and two cheapo Reliance ones, a 5 gal cube and a 7 gal kind Jerry can style one...

I though the 7 gallon reliance was nice.............until a seam split and dumped 7 gallons of water instantly. Luckily it was in the bed of a pickup, and everything in the bed was in a container or off the bed. Be careful. That is why I run the scepter style inside the 100 series, no chance of rupture

I was recently given this all SS can to field test. The manufacture claims all plastic water containers off gas contaminants when subjected to 100° temp. He offered and I plan to take him up on testing Water Bricks for contaminant.

img_7616-1-jpg.1365998

I know a little about the subject of plasticizers leeching into liquids and this makes perfect sense. Heat can even alter some chemicals so that they're not even quite what went into the plastic to begin with. And lets not forget that most of these things are estrogenic compounds, meaning that they act like ESTROGEN in the body. Just like this female hormone can cause breast cancer in women, these altered versions are far worse.

Oh, that is the coolest looking can Ive ever seen. I'd buy one just for that.

I know a little about the subject of plasticizers leeching into liquids and this makes perfect sense. Heat can even alter some chemicals so that they're not even quite what went into the plastic to begin with. And lets not forget that most of these things are estrogenic compounds, meaning that they act like ESTROGEN in the body. Just like this female hormone can cause breast cancer in women, these altered versions are far worse.

Oh, that is the coolest looking can Ive ever seen. I'd buy one just for that.

I question how big a concern the plastic thing is for a few days a year. If it was my everyday water source maybe I would take notice.

Cool thread. I normally carry 1-2 reliance water containers inside the truck depending on the length of the trip, but it's inconvenient with my interior layout. I keep 2-3 32 oz. nalgene bottles filled at all times (usually cooling in the fridge).

I'd rather keep water on the outside to save space. Right now I have a 2 can carrier on my bumper that I use for gas cans. I've considered going to a 3 can carrier so I can add water. Or, if time and funds ever permit, distribute gas and water between the rear bumper and vacant space where the spare tire used to ride. Someday...

Cool thread. I normally carry 1-2 reliance water containers inside the truck depending on the length of the trip, but it's inconvenient with my interior layout. I keep 2-3 32 oz. nalgene bottles filled at all times (usually cooling in the fridge).

I'd rather keep water on the outside to save space. Right now I have a 2 can carrier on my bumper that I use for gas cans. I've considered going to a 3 can carrier so I can add water. Or, if time and funds ever permit, distribute gas and water between the rear bumper and vacant space where the spare tire used to ride. Someday...
I had a three can with one for water two for gas. Did not like it, with 5 gallons of water and 10 gallons of gas it was a bear to open if you were parked off camber. I also didn't like my water can covered in dust/mud depending on the season.

Yes, you can rachet strap it to the floor support of the front and rear seats if you didn't have my set up.
I'm liking this thing a lot. Can you fit quick-connects to each side of the tank and just have one hose setup?

:hmm:

I'm liking this thing a lot. Can you fit quick-connects to each side of the tank and just have one hose setup?

Don't quite understand what you mean here. This tank only has 1 hose. You fill from the top with a twist off cap,
the hose comes with a shut off valve.

upload_2017-1-17_21-26-27.png

Interesting... Any more info on that faucet attachment?

These
Interesting... Any more info on that faucet attachment?
I recently bought a 4x4 labs bumper and the rack on the back holds three cans. I use two for water, the other for gas. The water cans are LCI with the main thing being that to install a faucet on the bottom you need to be able to get your hand inside and all the way to the bottom of the can. The LCI's top is large enough to do that. Drill a hole near the bottom and install the faucet. Works great and you don't have to lug a heavy water jug. I can get a pic if anyone wants to see it. Downside is that you get dust on the faucet....no big deal for me. And, the first and only time I used them the water faucet was frozen in the morning. It thawed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom