Leftovers and Soup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been comfort food time around frigid NC this weekend. Last night was just a bunch of doctored up canned crap and some turkey breast tenders to try out a new slow cooker. Turned out perfect for what we needed on a cold night. No pics.

Night before was a mix of leftovers made into a casserole. Diced Cajun chicken thighs, skillet corn, brie cheese, zucchini, assorted mushrooms and a creamy white wine mushroom sauce. Poured it all into a hot, duck fat-greased 10" cast iron and heated it through until bubbly and browned on top.
IMG_6957.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

We didn't get the 6-8" of snow that happened just a little north of us, but temps will keep this ugly crap frozen and hanging around until late Tuesday. By Friday, we'll have a hi/lo of 66/52 and I can get back to the grill without freezing my ass off.
IMG_6963.JPG

It's been comfort food time around frigid NC this weekend. Last night was just a bunch of doctored up canned crap and some turkey breast tenders to try out a new slow cooker. Turned out perfect for what we needed on a cold night. No pics.

Night before was a mix of leftovers made into a casserole. Diced Cajun chicken thighs, skillet corn, brie cheese, zucchini, assorted mushrooms and a creamy white wine mushroom sauce. Poured it all into a hot, duck fat-greased 10" cast iron and heated it through until bubbly and browned on top.
View attachment 1378926

View attachment 1378927

We didn't get the 6-8" of snow that happened just a little north of us, but temps will keep this ugly crap frozen and hanging around until late Tuesday. By Friday, we'll have a hi/lo of 66/52 and I can get back to the grill without freezing my ass off.
View attachment 1378929

We finally had a white Christmas this year.
006.JPG

And now it's been in the 70's for a week.

FLAT, beef & barley tri tip sounds yummy.

Yep, a tri tip off of the grill, there is always leftovers. Got burned out on chili with it, so on goes the soup.
I've gotten lots of pictures of my kitchen adventures, but I need to sit down with my Tech Advisors (kids).

Yep, a tri tip off of the grill, there is always leftovers. Got burned out on chili with it, so on goes the soup.
I've gotten lots of pictures of my kitchen adventures, but I need to sit down with my Tech Advisors (kids).

Mine got burned out on the chili as well, anything new to do with leftover tri tip is a plus, imo.

You know Split, we have been occasionally making the Raman Noodle dish with leftovers.
My kids and I will pick out a leftover, or other smallish protein, and get a correspondingly flavored pack of Raman stuff. We will then prep all the noodle stuff, add frozen veggies, and add in the meat (just to bring to temp). Pile it into a big bowl and microwave (as the stuff cools fast), and serve. Kids tear it up and I'm hoping that they are learning to be able to make a cheap meal when they hit the college age. Both of my boys are already semi-skilled at grilling, and making their own dishes. Plus it gives them control and inspires them to try new(er) things.

My usual crappy picture. I toasted most of the alphabet pasta before cooking them. I never thought to do that, but the package mentioned it. Gave the soup a nice nutty flavor after I combined the noodles into the chicken stock. Best part of the meal was when, after seeing me in the kitchen all day making other things and dirtying up half of our stuff, I served the wife her 'surprise' dinner of alphabet soup. She couldn't have been happier.

IMG_6973.jpg

Both great ideas!:cheers:

Last night's chili...

One diced onion & lots of garlic, sautéed in butter, two large cans of fire roasted tomatoes & a big jar of fire roasted peppers tossed in the pot... all hit with the stick blender until smoothish.

Then diced & heavily seasoned chuck was cooked in batches, chopped...

IMG_9811.JPG

IMG_9820.JPG

... and deglazed to recover every bit of flavor...

IMG_9817.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG

Then a can each of ranch-style pinto & black beans were added before simmering.

The result:

IMG_9833.JPG

Sure this is a love or hate, but one of my favorites...
Menudo.
menudo.jpg

Lol, you misunderstood, I love frog legs (they just look funny). It's the friggin' snails I will never eat again.:eek:

I have been buying extra ears of fresh sweet corn at the stands, and will cut off the kernels and vac seal n freeze for soups and stuff this winter.
Think we are all hitting the "Wall" on what to grill this far into the summer.
Looking for new stuff/ideas, but the heat really puts a bummer on grilling.
Took the family out to Mexican restaurant last night to the tune of $86.00 for the four of us. This is not going to be an option very often.

Well, tis the season. Did a nice potato soup the other night from scratch. Turned out killer, but as always I make too much, and now I am feeding the neighbors, and freezing several servings.

Pork and beans. Pintos with serranos and garlic with leftover smoked pork butt in the slow cooker. Delicious.

I've been cutting up leftover steak and tri tip and adding it to my potato soup (Kinda a loaded baked style) and also a chili Colorado.
Substitute Naan bread for tortillas, my boys call them "Puffy" tacos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom