Lexus/Toyota Factory Navigation to 10" screen upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm getting interested in this. Do you know what model have you got ? I noticed a firm called Canavie that is working on it. I'm looking to compare this with the Grom Vline.

I do not. I am not sure where it came from. If you are interested in taking it off my hands, PM me.

I couldn't resist the temptation and decided to order the 10" Android-powered touchscreen from Canavie

android car radio audio dvd gps navigation navigator central multimedia stereo gps toyota land cruiser 100 lc100

for starters, this is in my 2003 UZJ-100 with GEN-3 Navigation

I *think* it's similar to what @macmann had originally ordered which launched this thread (and which @seanz0rz then worked with), although the aluminum screen bezel I received rather closely matches OEM geometry and offers very good fit & finish with no gaps, while the user-assembled circuit card enclosure looks a little different - yet still needed to be modified to mount the CCA & permit the 4 connectors to mate. It arrived yesterday from Hong Kong (only 3-day shipment via DHL) it was a long night but I was successful in getting the unit integrated with the harvested OEM circuit cards & re-installed everything back in the center console. It passed the smoke test and oh wow this screen size & resolution is NICE

I'll prepare a more detailed install write-up over this coming weekend (still need to add B/U cam, ham rig A/V input, rear A/V outs, antennae mounting, RF chokes & make it all OCD-like) and so far this is a :banana::banana: install. Also, the system arrived WITHOUT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. there are online videos but they don't address the electrical connections which are straightforward. here's a quick snapshot:

ALL of controls for "factory" functions are replicated & MOST of them work just fine via touchscreen symbols:

- Climate Controls: I can adjust AUTO, Fan Speed, A/C, Temperature, the different Vent settings, Defog, etc.; the screen accurately tracks both Inside (selected) & Outside (actual) temp. Out of curiosity I re-connected the circuit board that has that thin factory LCD display which shows Outside/Inside Temp, Time & the blinking red Anti-theft LED, and it all worked; even the H:M:S setting push buttons worked. The big screen now occupies all the real estate that this little display used so it will need to be relocated. Everything worked before I re-connected it so I'll wait & see if it's really needed

- OEM Audio Controls: AM/FM/TAPE/CD select: the touchscreen controls work and the sound quality is no different than before [the OEM knobs & buttons that still reside in the lower sub-panel are also functional]. I probably have a cassette tape somewhere upstairs but at 1am lacked the motivation to go look for it, so couldn't check that one. Also, I still have a [now redundant] GROM TOYNB3 bluetooth adapter acting in the place of the CD magazine, which I'll need to remove. However, touchscreen controls for the [replicated factory] Volume/Fade/Balance/Equalizer controls were non-responsive

When the system boots (put key in ignition & turn to ACC position) the HOME screen appears within 10-sec or so and there are several labelled Icons which represent OEM control categories (Audio select, NAV, etc) as well as an ANDROID icon. It was all pretty intuitive so even I could make things work. When I touched the Android symbol it opened up another universe of applications. I'm not an Android nerd yet, but was able to navigate through a whole bunch of settings... got it connected to the house WiFi, paired & tethered with my I-Phone, streamed Pandora, played with the cool 3D map, took a screenshot, played the sample pre-installed video & some audio tracks, downloaded a couple Apps, figured out some important settings relative to factory vs. Android audio control, cycled through 3D dynamic backgrounds at which point I realized how punchy I was, so I called it quits.

While there are more things to work out I'm pretty optimistic and so far pleased with how things are working. More Later :cheers: [yes I know everyone wants pictures...]

I couldn't resist the temptation and decided to order the 10" Android-powered touchscreen from Canavie

android car radio audio dvd gps navigation navigator central multimedia stereo gps toyota land cruiser 100 lc100

I *think* it's similar to what @macmann had originally ordered which launched this thread (and which @seanz0rz then worked with), although the aluminum screen bezel I received rather closely matches OEM geometry and offers very good fit & finish with no gaps, while the user-assembled circuit card enclosure looks a little different - yet still needed to be modified to mount the CCA & permit the 4 connectors to mate. It arrived yesterday from Hong Kong (only 3-day shipment via DHL) it was a long night but I was successful in getting the unit integrated with the harvested OEM circuit cards & re-installed everything back in the center console. It passed the smoke test and oh wow this screen size & resolution is NICE

I'll prepare a more detailed install write-up over this coming weekend (still need to add B/U cam, ham rig A/V input, rear A/V outs, antennae mounting, RF chokes & make it all OCD-like) and so far this is a :banana::banana: install. Also, the system arrived WITHOUT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. there are online videos but they don't address the electrical connections which are straightforward. here's a quick snapshot:

ALL of controls for "factory" functions are replicated & MOST of them work just fine via touchscreen symbols:

- Climate Controls: I can adjust AUTO, Fan Speed, A/C, Temperature, the different Vent settings, Defog, etc.; the screen accurately tracks both Inside (selected) & Outside (actual) temp. Out of curiosity I re-connected the circuit board that has that thin factory LCD display which shows Outside/Inside Temp, Time & the blinking red Anti-theft LED, and it all worked; even the H:M:S setting push buttons worked. The big screen now occupies all the real estate that this little display used so it will need to be relocated. Everything worked before I re-connected it so I'll wait & see if it's really needed

- OEM Audio Controls: AM/FM/TAPE/CD select: the touchscreen controls work and the sound quality is no different than before [the OEM knobs & buttons that still reside in the lower sub-panel are also functional]. I probably have a cassette tape somewhere upstairs but at 1am lacked the motivation to go look for it, so couldn't check that one. Also, I still have a [now redundant] GROM TOYNB3 bluetooth adapter acting in the place of the CD magazine, which I'll need to remove. However, touchscreen controls for the [replicated factory] Volume/Fade/Balance/Equalizer controls were non-responsive

When the system boots (put key in ignition & turn to ACC position) the HOME screen appears within 10-sec or so and there are several labelled Icons which represent OEM control categories (Audio select, NAV, etc) as well as an ANDROID icon. It was all pretty intuitive so even I could make things work. When I touched the Android symbol it opened up another universe of applications. I'm not an Android nerd yet, but was able to navigate through a whole bunch of settings... got it connected to the house WiFi, paired & tethered with my I-Phone, streamed Pandora, played with the cool 3D map, took a screenshot, played the sample pre-installed video & some audio tracks, downloaded a couple Apps, figured out some important settings relative to factory vs. Android audio control, cycled through 3D dynamic backgrounds at which point I realized how punchy I was, so I called it quits.

While there are more things to work out I'm pretty optimistic and so far pleased with how things are working. More Later :cheers: [yes I know everyone wants pictures...]

Thank you for sharing the info, great intro review. Looking forward to know more about the details and if everything works as before, wondering about the rear camera and handsfree microphone. That looks like to be a bigger update than the Grom Vline.
Put some use to it and let us know your findings.

Wow WaterCruiser...i went through all those "installation" videos and didn't have big enough ones to take it on. You sir have big ones!

I will be waiting with eager anticipation for an installation write-up. i want to do this but really need a heck of a lot more guidance.

Would pics be too much to ask for!? They would be a great help.

Pictures ? No, a video says more than 1000 pictures. I'm testing the Grom Vline and I'm thinking that switching to the Canavie might be a better solution overall.
Looking forward to find more about your experience on it. Here is the Grom thread if you're interested (GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration )

Pictures ? No, a video says more than 1000 pictures. I'm testing the Grom Vline and I'm thinking that switching to the Canavie might be a better solution overall.
Looking forward to find more about your experience on it. Here is the Grom thread if you're interested (GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration )
Charlesrg - i'm collecting short videos of the different Canavie functions, wish I had more time to dedicate but wanted to spend it with family over the holidays. I successfully installed it yet the writeup is simply taking a bit longer to put together. I have tons of pics and will also capture short videos. don't want to build drama but there are essentially 2 operating modes, these being "OEM controls" (which mimic AM, FM, climate control & trip info, but no OEM NAV) and what I'd call the "Car PC" mode which uses an Android OS for contemporary infotainment, more sophisticated NAV functionality, and the ability to easily integrate OBDII & backup camera. The software-based OEM controls go away when you shift into CarPC mode, although steering wheel controls still work. if you're willing to spend the effort to relocate the Temp/Alarm/Time/Climate control "eyebrow" subpanel you can re-gain direct control to those functions while in CarPC mode as well using those physical OEM buttons.

The 10" 16x9 aspect ratio screen is a huge upgrade although it needs anti-reflective film (those are cheap & relatively easy to install), it stores apps, music, video files on an internal mini-SD memory card which I think can be replaced with a larger capacity card, but the video quality is just like your I-Pad, etc and the sound quality is actually BETTER and more voluminous, with improved equalizer doodaderry. there are several RCA connectors & pigtail wires that come out of the Canavie wire bundle don't have corresponding mating connections in my 2003 '100; they're clearly labelled (RCA's: DVR In, CCD IN, VIDEO OUT 1, VIDEO OUT 2 Pigtails: DVR IR and another one I can't recall at the moment) I connected a backup camera to the AUX IN & it works. I'm still researching what these extraneous (to me) connections are for. It took some time to decipher the settings and I'm still messing with some of that. So far I like it, but it's different. More to come!

This is great, I'm subscribing for pics. Nice to finally have an option for replacing the factory radio/climate.....

Waiting on pics - this actually sounds promising.

If anyone is interested in the one I purchased, it is sleeping under my desk still!

I have zero time to work on it now. 12 hour work days and working on starting a business on top of that has left zero time for tinkering. I am positive it can be a good system with some tweeking and possibly rooting the android system.

If anyone is interested in the one I purchased, it is sleeping under my desk still!

I have zero time to work on it now. 12 hour work days and working on starting a business on top of that has left zero time for tinkering. I am positive it can be a good system with some tweeking and possibly rooting the android system.
Messaged you.

Waiting on pics - this actually sounds promising.
x2. (No pix = It didn't happen)
Sub'd. (Although I recently installed an 8" Alpine (and kept the "eyebrow") Pic)

Last edited:
a teaser. it's been raining heavily for several days now in NorCal & I need to get those final install pics before uploading the complete document. so for the moment I'm stuck having a :beer:

OEM Operation.JPG

Android Operation.JPG

upload_2017-1-4_19-43-54.png

Dang...that was just enough info to get me salivating! Or was it the mention of beer? I don't know/care!

Waiting with bated breath (whatever the hell that means)

Sub'd. (Although I recently installed an 8" Alpine (and kept the "eyebrow") Pic)
Wow, you really took the time for this. I meant a video of you using it just to demo. I've made sample one while testing the Grom Vline. The grom is not bad, however I think it's android 5.1.1 is under powered. I've had it reboot on me multiple times when I load 3 apps (google maps, waze and google play). If you're having success with the Canavie I'm thinking about switching. It will free my glove box and it will make the screen look better.

Your setup is easy, you don't have climate controls, you have thousand of options, very different from others that have only two options with Grom Vline or Canavie.

charlesrg...do you have a thread running for your time with the Grom Vline? I'd like to follow along.

Wow, you really took the time for this. I meant a video of you using it just to demo. I've made sample one while testing the Grom Vline. The grom is not bad, however I think it's android 5.1.1 is under powered. I've had it reboot on me multiple times when I load 3 apps (google maps, waze and google play). If you're having success with the Canavie I'm thinking about switching. It will free my glove box and it will make the screen look better.

I've had it running for say 10+ hours total, and perhaps a dozen or so trips. so far I have not experienced a system hang. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the OBDII dongle to connect to the Canavie (vice my cellphone) and some experiments in that area have caused the OBDII app to suspend (I think) but overall it's been very stable

seanz0rz - in my excitement to install the Canavie I forgot to take pics of the actual hardware provided in the box. could I trouble you to send me some? it would help the install write-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom