85 4RUNNER WHEEL QUESTION, CAN'T REMEMBER! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question for an old Toyota geek that's been driving cruisers for the last 12 years.

I'm trying to buy an pretty clean 85 4runner DLX with some cheesy aftermarket wheels. Can the newer model 86-95 SR5 wheels be modified to fit the front end with spacers?

Can't wait to get another 4Runner, I had a 85, 84, 87, 90, and 00 and went to cruisers but can finally afford to have another toy!

Can the newer model 86-95 SR5 wheels be modified to fit the front end with spacers?

With spacers, I believe so. The standard backspacing on the solid axle trucks is 3.5"-3.75". My alloy wheels are 3.75", while my steel are 3.5". I believe the IFS wheels are 4" (4+"), but honestly I don't remember. They will rub on the tie rod ends if you have the factory push-pull steering. In fact, 3.75" will rub (BTDT).

Yeah but not the ghetto spacers. Please. Until I switched to HySteer I had to use spacers or stick-on weights as the clip-ons would hit the tie rod ends.

Spacers are fine so long as you make sure they're torqued properly. Lots of folks run them without issue.

Spacers are fine so long as you make sure they're torqued properly. Lots of folks run them without issue.

Definitely. I ran the All-Pro Offroad bullet spacers for years with zero issues.

If you move up to 16" wheels, then you don't need spacers, but the deeper backspacing will cause the tires to rub on the springs at full lock turning. At least that was my experience with 16" 2000 4Runner wheels. You could crank out your steering stops so they don't rub, but then your turning radius will be huge, parking lots will be challenging.

I ended up getting some 1-1/4" spacers, have had them on for 2 years now, no issues. I was obsessed with re-torquing the nuts for awhile, but they have been fine.

Best of both worlds... HySteer and 80 series 16" wheels. Not mounted yet, as they just barely hit my v6 calipers... and fundage for new tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom