Tools I should have bought a long time ago... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the older at least 18V Ridgid LiIon batteries weren't very good, it seems. I have 2 big ones and they both crapped out after moderate use. Seen other reports of the same thing.

I don't know what this "rope" ordeal is that some mention. All my chainsaws, string trimmers and the like, when in good condition, were always starting very easily, as in 2 or 3 pulls, when cold. 1 or 2 when warm. If more than that, there was something wrong that was usually easy to fix. Never saw the starting as a big issue. Noise and vibration on the other hand...
How big an area can one trim with your typical battery-powered trimmer?

I did a number of radiator fills and cooling system flushes with nothing, and then finally got an official "SPILL-FREE Funnel" radiator fill funnel kit, NAPA pn 77-4000. It's saved a ton of hassle for re-filling and getting air out. Well worth while.
@Bambusiero and those that have this funnel. If you overfill the funnel is there a way to cap it off without spilling all over?

Outgrew my 2" belt grinder and replaced it with a new Kalamazoo

J

IMG_20161207_090820099.jpg

@Bambusiero and those that have this funnel. If you overfill the funnel is there a way to cap it off without spilling all over?

I have one as well, it was a great investment. If you put more coolant into the funnel than you need, there is a plug on a stick that comes in the kit. You just put in the plug, lift the funnel off the radiator fill, put it back of the opening in your jug, and pull the plug back out, so all the extra coolant dumps back into the jug. Very easy and it works great.

24610straight.jpg

the older at least 18V Ridgid LiIon batteries weren't very good, it seems. I have 2 big ones and they both crapped out after moderate use. Seen other reports of the same thing.

I don't what this "rope" ordeal is that some mention. All my chainsaws, string trimmers and the like, when in good condition, were always starting very easily, as in 2 or 3 pulls, when cold. 1 or 2 when warm. If more than that, there was something wrong that was usually easy to fix. Never saw the starting as a big issue. Noise and vibration on the other hand...
How big an area can one trim with your typical battery-powered trimmer?

My Pouland lawn mower it's a pretty normal basic model and easy to maintenance ..even with an extra fuel filter, start 1st pull after prime ( 2 - 3 pumps ) ... but the pouland trimmer I used to have .. damn .. what a nightmare to start !

I only do borders and little be open area with the RIP 20V DeWalt trimmer, like 30 mins of constant use and still have battery to go .. the deal to me as I said it's I have more batteries from other tools .. so battery life wasn't an issue to me ..

I have one as well, it was a great investment. If you put more coolant into the funnel than you need, there is a plug on a stick that comes in the kit. You just put in the plug, lift the funnel off the radiator fill, put it back of the opening in your jug, and pull the plug back out, so all the extra coolant dumps back into the jug. Very easy and it works great.

24610straight.jpg
Ok looking at the images that I found I figured that was what it had. Same type of application with my brake bleed kit for my mtb. Going to have to invest in one of these. Now if someone could make an oil funnel that screwed into valve cover easily and could hold a 2gallon jug of oil that was be spectacular.

This is more a re-encounter and a very happy one at that..

Making this brackets today, I was trying a widen a channel already cut by a skinny cutting wheel with a grinding wheel, no bueno results..
IMG_9159-X3.jpg

Not only loud and dangerous but a tiny little file did a much better work and also faster (I had the end all round out with a drill, not they are all flat do to the grinding wheel 9wrong material wheel too0..

So at the end I do need a new tool a skinny rat tale file

Anything cordless. The best (and most surprising) has been the small Dewalt 18v circular saw. That is a cutting machine! Ripped and cross cut all the 3/4" plywood I used for my utility trailer project using it. Never bogged down:

(I had the inside Line-X'd to further protect the inside)

DeWalt 20v XR lithium 5.0 Ah brushless Impact gun & hammer drill...

here is another one. As you may guess, my garage is chock full of stuff. I have like 2 or 3 (I know, I know) large (20, 30 gals something like that) wet and dry vacs that I accumulated over the years and in principle use for various things. But they are a pain to move around, especially in tight quarters, so if I need one on the other side of the garage, well, it may not get used. And when I need the vac inside, I have to clean the wheels carefully so that it won't leave track marks on the white carpets. And they are cumbersome. Altogether not a great way to do things. Well, yesterday I got a little portable 2 gals wet and dry that is very handy and light. A bit bigger than a basketball. It's great! I can bring it in easily to vacuum the computers or the toilet tanks or a spill or under the fridge or get cobwebs up the ceilings so much more easily than the really big ones or the regular home carpet vac. And much more powerful than the latter. And it stays clean on a shelf. Gonna sell a couple of my big ones.
Waited way too long for that one!

Love our central vac system.

pig form a funnel. keep it in the cruiser for random fills of anything.

I keep forgetting to mention this. I bought a used 1 gallon heated ultrasonic cleaner from a dental office. They're pricer but occosianlly used ones pop up n CraigsList. Its the bomb for cleaning smallish parts. I use the clear Simple Green at 50%, heat it up to about 120 degrees and let it cook and buzz. I can fit a FJ60 front steering knuckle in it if I remove the studs, but I still wish it was bigger.

pig form a funnel. keep it in the cruiser for random fills of anything.

This might be the ticket for the messy oil filter R&R on my Taco's 5VZFE. I've been using a liter soda bottle with the bottom cut out to clear the battery cable. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom