Builds "Guinea Pig" GX460 Light Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've dubbed the build "Guinea Pig" as there aren't many modified GX460's in the US and determining what 5G T4R (or LC150) parts fit has been trial and error. I figured the least I could do is document as much as possible like some of the other forum members. My goal is to have a mildly modified vehicle that still rides close to stock and can still fit in my garage. It's not nearly as extreme as some, but doesn't look like your typical soccer mom GX460.

This was when I first bought it. Certified Pre-Owned 2013 Base model GX460 in Starfire Pearl with black leather.

I knew I wanted to get rid of the awful rake of the vehicle. After doing some research on this forum and T4R and not wanting to $2k for full coil-overs, I decided to get Bilstein 5100's. I contemplated a spacer kit, but was worried it might sacrifice ride quality as well as still not be able to fit in my garage. I also liked the Bilstein's as if I chose to go higher down the road, I was still let with that option. I had my local shop install the Bilstein's on the second notch, which typically nets 0.85" on a 5G T4R. I ended up netting over an inch on the front end. It completely got rid of the rake, which is what I was going for. Ride quality is better than stock with less nose dive when hitting the brakes.

I took some poser pictures in my back yard after installing the 5100's just to see how some of the limitations of the vehicle. The biggest thing I could see that limited clearance was the rear bumper, but more specifically the rear tow package.

I'm 6'1" and never used the running boards. After too many of my dress pants getting wet from the running boards when it rained, I decided to take them off. It looks much better with them off. However, my wife is only slightly taller than 5' and she hated having to jump in everytime, so I put them back on..

However, my wife is only slightly taller than 5' and she hated having to jump in every time, so I put them back on. But only for a while..... I ended up taking them back off, but hated how unfinished it looked and couldn't stomach cutting factory $500 running boards, so I decided to paint the lower trim behind the boards black. It looks so much better that way and is almost unnoticeable.

The stock size Bridgestone Dueler's were too small and not aggressive enough to do any real wheeling. I had a hard time trying to decide on what tire size to go with. I've never been a fan of spacers, so what ever tire size I went with had to fit the stock wheel without spacers. Based off information on clublexus.com, I knew I could fit a 275/65r18 with very minimal rubbing. I really didn't want a significantly wider tire but definitely wanted a taller tire. I tried doing research on how much lift it takes a T4R and LC150 to fit the same size tire, but couldn't find any definite answers. Back to being a Guinea Pig.....I went to my local Discount Tire and told them that I had no idea what tire size I could stuff in there and still be able to clear the UCA and body mount. I put together a full chart researching tire sizes compared to stock and compared to the 275/65r18 (32" tall tire) that would fit. I figured since my lift netted a full inch, I should be able to fit a 275/70r18 (33.2" tire) or 265/70r18 (32.6" tire).

We tested the 275/70 first and voila, no rubbing! Best part was that the 275/70's were $30 cheaper a tire than any other tire near that size. Threw all 4 other tires on and did a quick check and only rubbing slightly at full lock in reverse, but that's nothing a couple strategically placed zip ties couldn't take care of. The first picture is very decieving as it looks like I'm one of those silly squatted diesel trucks. I do have a slightly negative rake, but nothing as bad like it looks in this picture. I plan on installing some OME spacers in the rear to get back to neutral/positive rake.

I'm also read that any 5G T4R Trail Edition rock sliders will fit the GX460, but no strong confirmations. So Mark over at MetalTech was going to give me free return shipping on a set of OPOR sliders to test fit if they didn't work, but he is hopefully going to have a 2015 GX460 in his shop in the next few weeks, which makes it easier for the both of us.

I flexed the suspension last night with the new tires and am hitting the upper control arms when stuffed at full lock, but not by much. Any rubbing is too much for me. I'm going to have my alignment checked this weekend and figure out if I'll go with new UCA's, spacers, or swap the tires out for the 265/70r18s. I'm thinking the 265/70r18 might be a better choice as it's also not quite as wide as the 275/70r18.

I've attached the calc's for tire size difference over the stock 265/60r18s for reference.

Attachments

• Tire Specs1.pdf
    92.4 KB · Views: 442
This is what I would like to do. Thanks for being the guinea pig! Looks great so far. Keep up the good work.

I had a "few" pine trees cut down in my yard this week and couldn't resist taking a few handicorn mall crawler approved pictures. I have ordered a set of MT OPOR sliders for a 5G T4R Trail Edition and will post more pictures when I get them installed. After the sliders go on it'll be ready for some real wheelin.

Earlier this week my Metal Tech OPOR sliders came in. Contrary to the things I've read on several forums, bolt-on sliders for a 5G T4R Trail Edition with KDSS does not fit the driver side of the GX460. Where the KDSS lines run underneath the frame is slightly different and wouldn't allow the first leg to bolt up to the frame. The passenger side bolted up perfectly. After a quick FaceTime with Mark and his Production Manager at Metal Tech, they figured out a solution that is specific to the GX460. I can't say enough awesome things about Mark and his crew at Metal Tech. Nothing quite like being a guinea pig a couple thousand miles away from their shop!!!

This is a great thread, exactly what I am looking to do to my 2011 460. I have the Metal Tech sliders on my 100 series, and have been waiting to see someone install them on a 460 to see if they work. With that said, what is the solution that they came up with to make the OPOR slider work for the driver side? Are they going to re-fab, then send you out a new slider? I will use this information when I call them to order my sliders in the coming week(s).

Also, curious if you know the exact model of the Bilstein 5100's that you used?

Great looking truck, keep it up!

This is a great thread, exactly what I am looking to do to my 2011 460. I have the Metal Tech sliders on my 100 series, and have been waiting to see someone install them on a 460 to see if they work. With that said, what is the solution that they came up with to make the OPOR slider work for the driver side? Are they going to re-fab, then send you out a new slider? I will use this information when I call them to order my sliders in the coming week(s).

Also, curious if you know the exact model of the Bilstein 5100's that you used?

Great looking truck, keep it up!

Thanks @zman7980! Metal Tech is going to re-fab a driver side slider, send it out to me to test fit and if all goes as planned, they will start selling the new design specifically for the GX460s. The Bilstein 5100's up front are for a 5G T4R (PN#24-196499). I'm pretty happy with how they ride, but haven't done any wheeling in them yet. I just ordered a set of Spidertrax spacers so I hope to have those installed this weekend.

Thanks @zman7980! Metal Tech is going to re-fab a driver side slider, send it out to me to test fit and if all goes as planned, they will start selling the new design specifically for the GX460s. The Bilstein 5100's up front are for a 5G T4R (PN#24-196499). I'm pretty happy with how they ride, but haven't done any wheeling in them yet. I just ordered a set of Spidertrax spacers so I hope to have those installed this weekend.

Perfect, great info. Thanks again for being the "guinea pig". I can't wait to see the final product (and getting them installed on my truck). Also, painting the lower trim was brilliant. I did the same thing this past weekend, and the truck looks so much better. I still may try to procure some Prado rocker panels to make it more finished looking, but I will reserve final judgement until I get the OPOR sliders on.

Hey man, thanks for running through all of this info and experimenting on your truck. I have the same 150 and am looking to make similar changes. Great info all around, especially on the MetalTech work.

I ended up test fitting the Spidertrax spacers, but they caused a lot of rubbing on the fender liner and came way too close to the body mount, so I decided to just keep it as is without the spacers. I really liked the way it looked with the spacers, but just didn't want the hassle of having to possibly BMC and move more fender liner just to get it to work.

Nice build, keep up the good work!

Any ETA on the sliders? Pricing? I checked the website but no info is up. I made a nice mess of my driver side running board and really need to get them off and some protection on. I was considering rocky road sliders, but I prefer the ones on your truck since they have a little bit of a step for when the short people get in my car.

Nice build, keep up the good work!

Any ETA on the sliders? Pricing? I checked the website but no info is up. I made a nice mess of my driver side running board and really need to get them off and some protection on. I was considering rocky road sliders, but I prefer the ones on your truck since they have a little bit of a step for when the short people get in my car.

Thanks! The newly fabbed driver side slider should be here in the next week or two. Shipping takes forever since we are on the complete opposite sides of the country. I believe once I get the slider and verify that it fits the GX460, Metal Tech will most likely put it up on his website. Mine were roughly the same price as the 5G T4R TE OPOR ones, but you'd have to get in contact with Mark at Metal Tech on pricing.

Thanks! The newly fabbed driver side slider should be here in the next week or two. Shipping takes forever since we are on the complete opposite sides of the country. I believe once I get the slider and verify that it fits the GX460, Metal Tech will most likely put it up on his website. Mine were roughly the same price as the 5G T4R TE OPOR ones, but you'd have to get in contact with Mark at Metal Tech on pricing.

Awesome, thank you for the info! Can't wait to see them on your ride

So the new driver side OPOR slider came in yesterday and I was able to get it installed in just 1.5 hours by myself and a few strategically placed jack stands. Fit is perfect and completely fits around the KDSS line issues! These things are stout. At some point I'll take them off to paint them with bedliner, but for now they are staying on.

I also installed a 10mm OME spacer on both sides of the rear. I forgot to take before and after measurements, but it definitely got rid of the slight negative rake I had.

I'm currently contemplating getting an Ironman 4x4 Deluxe Commercial Bullbar and swapping out the Bilstiens for Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro's.

I also installed a set of XtremeVision 16,000 lumen low beam head lights and foglights. Holy crap are these things bright! I had the standard halogen bulbs and the XtremeVision LEDs have a very nice cut off point like HID's. They were $45 a pair off amazon and took all of 15 minutes to install.

Since I have removed the stock steps, I lost the puddle lights. I'm planning on rewiring the puddle lights with some offroad waterproof LEDS for underneath the vehicle.

Looks great!

I'll be following your puddle light replacement - I've been eyeing some aftermarket rock lights to tuck back up under mine as well.

How did the LED bulbs fit within the headlight housing? Did you manage to get the little round trap-door back on? I couldn't tell by the amazon pictures how big the bulb bodies were. I just installed a set of plug and play HID kits on my GX460 and I just managed to stuff the ballast and wiring into the headlight housings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom