The Next Generation WARN VR Winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.warn.com
VR10-S_002-N.jpg

We're excited to introduce the next generation of VR winches.

• 8,000, 10,000, and 12,000 lb. capacities.
  • All available with synthetic rope or wire rope.
  • Waterproof Albright contactor for the ultimate in electrical reliability and control.
  • Convertible control pack can be relocated for a low-profile look or to fit in bumpers. Can be left in the upright configuration, too.
  • Tie rods have been replaced by one-piece tie plate for increased durability, reduced noise, and a great look.
  • Best-in-class cone brake holds full-rated winch load. No wimpy spring brakes!
  • Black hawse fairlead on all models.
  • Easy-to-turn clutch handle.
  • Limited lifetime warranty on mechanical components, NEW 7 year warranty on electrical components--the best in the business. This goes for ALL WARN Winches purchased after Nov 1, 2016 in the U.S. and Canada.
  • Outside of the U.S. these winches are known as Tabor and they have the same features, but are also available in 24V versions. (FYI, these winches are sold as Magnum in Australia)
Learn more about our VR winches and what makes them different at http://thewarndifference.com.

- Andy

TheWarnDifference_Cutaway.jpg

I have the older model Warn VR12000 currently in my bumper. Does this newer model share the same size (dimensions), mounting style (feet down) and locations (do I need to drill more holes)?

I love my VR12000 but could be looking at possibly upgrading to this new 12000S. I see there's about a $1,000 difference between the two as far as I can find. What improvements to this newer model can justify that price difference compared to the old model?

I love my VR12000 but could be looking at possibly upgrading to this new 12000S. I see there's about a $1,000 difference between the two as far as I can find. What improvements to this newer model can justify that price difference compared to the old model?

A new VR12-S is going to be under $900.

As mentioned above, the newer model now has a waterproof Albright contactor (vs. solenoids), cast tie plate (vs. tie bars), ergonomic clutch handle, new styling, black hawse fairlead, and an improved electrical warranty (7 years vs. 1 year -- still limited lifetime on mechanical).

Still has a load-holding cone brake, still has a series-wound motor, still has world-class customer service.

- Andy

Ahh my apologizes then I was looking at the Warn Zeon Platinum 12S. Seems like a good deal plus I've always wanted synthetic rope. Will definitely be looking into these.

It's wonderful to see you guys expanding more of your line to contacts!

When and where can I order up a 10,000lb version?

Is it possible to clock the position of the clutch lever from the top to front or back?
Possible to use wireless remote?

Ok, that is handy. Going to maybe make some changes.

Ordered mine last night!
Looks like an awesome winch for the price!

Hey Andy,

Do the VR series winches have a thermal overload safety? How often and for how long do we need to stop and let the unit cool while winching under load? (Cool Down Procedure) It says while spoiling out, let the unit cool for 20 min every 30’ out. So basically just freespool if at all possible. @Warn Industries
7C8AC39B-5636-4D21-9757-5AF6352F44E2.jpeg

Last edited:
@GHalll -- The VR does not have any thermal overload safety. And we do recommend free spooling the winch for sure, as powering out for long distances under load is definitely hard on winces. We don't have an official statement on a cool-down time with powering in. There are way too many variables to formulate one, such as the load on the line, distance of pull, ambient temperature, etc.

I generally tell people to be sure to listen to their winch motor. You'll hear the motor's tone change under load. If you're making a really difficult load, you'll hear that winch motor start to strain. If the load isn't moving at all, it's probably best to do a double-line pull (using a snatch block) so the winch doesn't have to work as hard. Plus, under strenuous pulls, the motor will heat up. You will be able to feel if it's super hot. If it is hot, then do let it cool down a bit.

Andy

@Warn Industries

Just took delivery of a warn VR12s !

Tucking it into an ARB deluxe (bull bar) on a 100 series and was pretty excited to see you guys develop the 97890 mounting bracket.

2 questions

1) do you have to clock the spoiling handle end to access it through the bumper ?

2) is it necessary to cover the winch with a neoprene cover for UV rays / elements if it's inside the bumper ? I live in PA with snow & salt a few months out of the year. (I know the screw heads will likely rust from other reviews - just looking for any suggestions to keep it as pristine as possible )

Thanks for your time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom