Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey everyone. Just found this thread. Great idea.

I'm a former Air Force guy. Strategic Air Command/Air Combat Command 1991-1995. 99th Reconnaissance Sqdn, 9th Wing, Crew Chief on the Lockheed the U-2 at Beale AFB CA and in Europe.

Thought I might bump into some old USAF buddies on here.

Thanks to everyone for your service.

I attached pictures of the rig I used to work on and the one I work on now.

View attachment 1320426

View attachment 1320427

Welcome @Mattman and thanks for your service, last time I saw a U2 was on the flight line in Osan, Korea, circa 1979.
Lee

Hi Nolan, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. Welcome to your new addiction.

Larry in El Paso

Welcome aboard Nolan, Nice rig!

I thought I introduced myself here before, but maybe not. I've been a mud member for a little while now. I have about 16 years service and I have been all over the world for uncle Sam. Many times driving in 100, 120, and 200 series Cruisers. Glad to be a part of the club.

I thought I introduced myself here before, but maybe not. I've been a mud member for a little while now. I have about 16 years service and I have been all over the world for uncle Sam. Many times driving in 100, 120, and 200 series Cruisers. Glad to be a part of the club.

Welcome and thank you for serving!

What branch?

As well, I thought I introduced myself long ago but when I went back to look all I did was make a post about Veterans Day. So here goes.

I bought my first 40 in '72, a used '71. The original owner drove it 200 miles to the beach and promptly traded it when he return. I gave the dealership one broken car and one lemon plus $650 and drove the beast off the lot. It was by far the toughtst and most dependable vehicle I ever had and the only one that I regretted selling. Sold it in 1979.

Fast forward to 2014 and I happened to see a 4X4 on a used car dealers lot. Thought it looked nice. A few days later I looked again and I finally realized what it was. Although it was raining I took a chance and looked it over and after asking what the price was I made a ridiculous offer that they accepted. On 10/14/14 I drove it off the lot. This one is a '70 model and had rust in all the usual places. I took it into my shop and started the process of finding out what it needed and it needed a lot. So here I am two years later and the only thing I lack is a real skid plate, parking brake and hydro boost next year. The only parts of the 40 I haven't touched is the bottom end of the engins and the front diff. I joined MUD shortly after I made the purchase and then Olde North State Cruisers. Made some good frineds and really enjoy talking about and looking at the old iron. (After doing a search with the NCDMV I found I was the 7th owner and I have a record of all the title application and copies of the titles from the previous PO's.)

Me: I am 69 and back into my 2nd childhood, or make that the 4th childhood, with the 40. I have 2 children and 4 grandchildren and my wife hates the 40, to hard to get in to. I closed and sold off the business I had for 10 1/2 years so I could come home and stay with my wife. She has had 4 TIS's, small strokes, and now has developed Alzheimer's and Dementia. She can't stay by herself all day so I am the primary caregiver.

My military service started when I enlisted in the Navy in 1967, thinking that since the Army and Marines were drafting, the Navy might be safer so I tried that. After boot camp I went to Port Hueneme, CA and joined a SeaBee battalion and on 2/14/68 I made my first trip to Vietnam during the middle of the Tet offensive. I did two deployments with NMCB 4 and transferred to NSA Danang when Nixon was doing his Vietnamazation thing. I was separated in Long Beach, CA just 1 day under the 1 year limitation. As a SeaBee electrician, I did everything from wiring huts to managing portable generators. I started in Danang and went north to Camp Evans, an Army 1st Cav camp just a few miles from the Ashau valley, a major infiltration route on the Ho Mi Chin Trail. Needless to say we were always under some sort of attack.

Seabee.jpg

The 40 when I bought it, the diamond plate covered a lot if rust.
70 TLC.jpg

What it looks like now.
DSCN0155.JPG

As well, I thought I introduced myself long ago but when I went back to look all I did was make a post about Veterans Day. So here goes.

I bought my first 40 in '72, a used '71. The original owner drove it 200 miles to the beach and promptly traded it when he return. I gave the dealership one broken car and one lemon plus $650 and drove the beast off the lot. It was by far the toughtst and most dependable vehicle I ever had and the only one that I regretted selling. Sold it in 1979.

Fast forward to 2014 and I happened to see a 4X4 on a used car dealers lot. Thought it looked nice. A few days later I looked again and I finally realized what it was. Although it was raining I took a chance and looked it over and after asking what the price was I made a ridiculous offer that they accepted. On 10/14/14 I drove it off the lot. This one is a '70 model and had rust in all the usual places. I took it into my shop and started the process of finding out what it needed and it needed a lot. So here I am two years later and the only thing I lack is a real skid plate, parking brake and hydro boost next year. The only parts of the 40 I haven't touched is the bottom end of the engins and the front diff. I joined MUD shortly after I made the purchase and then Olde North State Cruisers. Made some good frineds and really enjoy talking about and looking at the old iron. (After doing a search with the NCDMV I found I was the 7th owner and I have a record of all the title application and copies of the titles from the previous PO's.)

Me: I am 69 and back into my 2nd childhood, or make that the 4th childhood, with the 40. I have 2 children and 4 grandchildren and my wife hates the 40, to hard to get in to. I closed and sold off the business I had for 10 1/2 years so I could come home and stay with my wife. She has had 4 TIS's, small strokes, and now has developed Alzheimer's and Dementia. She can't stay by herself all day so I am the primary caregiver.

My military service started when I enlisted in the Navy in 1967, thinking that since the Army and Marines were drafting, the Navy might be safer so I tried that. After boot camp I went to Port Hueneme, CA and joined a SeaBee battalion and on 2/14/68 I made my first trip to Vietnam during the middle of the Tet offensive. I did two deployments with NMCB 4 and transferred to NSA Danang when Nixon was doing his Vietnamazation thing. I was separated in Long Beach, CA just 1 day under the 1 year limitation. As a SeaBee electrician, I did everything from wiring huts to managing portable generators. I started in Danang and went north to Camp Evans, an Army 1st Cav camp just a few miles from the Ashau valley, a major infiltration route on the Ho Mi Chin Trail. Needless to say we were always under some sort of attack.

View attachment 1360530

The 40 when I bought it, the diamond plate covered a lot if rust.
View attachment 1360531

What it looks like now.
View attachment 1360532

I remember you introducing yourself before, David... but this is a great into - and a great rig!!

Welcome to the Veterans Forum Tampacruiser95 and David1947. I like the two tone on your rig David1947. This is a great forum for Land Cruiser addicts. Lots of smart and talented folks here.

Welcome David1947, thanks for sharing your story.

Welcome Tampacruiser95, I was Army too.

Welcome Tampacruiser95, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Welcome David1947, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Howdy folks. New to Cruisers from a Grand Cherokee but always liked them. This forum has been a great help as I am now working through a new to me LX450.

USMC 99-04

TigrisBridge2_zpsac888d69.jpg

Welcome Devil Dog! You'll enjoy the 80 series Cruiser and there's plenty of help on this board if needed.

Semper Fi, '63-83

Welcome Bryanseye, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Welcome. I don't remember that sign, I remember other signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom