8x Series V8 Swaps (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1995 80 Series with brand new GM LS3 6.2 EROD crate motor with a nearly new 2 mile 6L80E transmission from a GMC 2500 4x4.

-Cruise Control - Check
-Manual tap +/- shifting - Check
-Sport mode - Check
-Tow Haul mode - Check
-GM A/C-Check
-GM Power Steering-Check
-PRNDM mode in shifter with PRN123456 digital read out- Check
-No money Left - Check

Just getting ready to start for the first time next week. Will have a complete build thread and will be glad to try and answer any questions that are at my pay grade. Other questions will need to go to the shop that is doing my build. Lot's of little challenges but anything you desire is possible with these builds if you have time and money to do it. Even with a GM LS drive-by-wire engine the factory cruise control lever can operate the cruise control as it did stock. You can have manual tap shifting and tow haul and sport mode if you desire. I admit I desired all of it. Did I mention time and money? More details and info soon.

View attachment 1319261

View attachment 1319262

View attachment 1319263

View attachment 1319264

View attachment 1319266

His is exactly the direction I'm going with(I hope)! Do you have a build thread?

I ordered an adapter from the parker store for my water temp sender. It is a hydraulic adapter made out of steel. 16mm x 1.5mm female to 12mm x 1.5 male. It will screw into the plugged hole in the head and allow me to use the toyota sender. It cost less than $20

1995 80 Series with brand new GM LS3 6.2 EROD crate motor with a nearly new 2 mile 6L80E transmission from a GMC 2500 4x4.

-Cruise Control - Check
-Manual tap +/- shifting - Check
-Sport mode - Check
-Tow Haul mode - Check
-GM A/C-Check
-GM Power Steering-Check
-PRNDM mode in shifter with PRN123456 digital read out- Check
-No money Left - Check

Just getting ready to start for the first time next week. Will have a complete build thread and will be glad to try and answer any questions that are at my pay grade. Other questions will need to go to the shop that is doing my build. Lot's of little challenges but anything you desire is possible with these builds if you have time and money to do it. Even with a GM LS drive-by-wire engine the factory cruise control lever can operate the cruise control as it did stock. You can have manual tap shifting and tow haul and sport mode if you desire. I admit I desired all of it. Did I mention time and money? More details and info soon.

Azcrackshot...

I am just starting to get all my parts...

6.0 from an 2010 2500
all the acc stilll on it so plan on using all of them
6l80 trans from 2011 silverado
I got the stuff ordered from marks...
along with a part timer kit...
not sure if we are going to put a cam and some rockers in now or wait to do in later...

been looking and looking looking reading thread after thread... some answers but I am still missing the wire harness answers... where is the best place to start to find answers on how to get the harness that will work everything.

I have the harness from the l96 and the one from the 80... I would like to keep all the modes like you said I want it all... lol i figure it only cost a lil more to go first class... make this pig a real head turner

Where is everyone getting their EWDs? I would love to get my hands on the book.

EWD's? Electrical wiring Diagrams I pressume. I use alldatadiy. I have been using them for years and you can buy a one year subscription for $16.95 and they are very good. You can zoom in and print them out . I am finishing up my 5.3 swap and the printouts are priceless for getting the circuits and wire colors. Well worth it.

Thanks! I'd like to have the book, but that sounds pretty good also.

Thanks! I'd like to have the book, but that sounds pretty good also.
Would an electronic copy work for ya? I have a 96 EWD on pdf I got off mud somewhere. I could send it to you if you would like

I sent this to sgpipes but though I would throw it up here too in case my experience to date helps anyone

To recap my swap is an aluminum 2013 GenIV 5.3L/6L80E combo into a '96 LX450

When I bought my engine/trans combo from pacific fabrication it cam with a new custom made harness. I will post some pics of it. The reason I went with them was that the cost of the engine and harness was really good and the have great reviews and a following on pirate4x4.
I could not be happier with the harness they provided. They use a bussman sealed waterproof fuse box and all top notch metri pack connectors. I new I was mounting the ecm and fuse box under the hood so this was important to me. To make the engine run I only needed to power up one ignition wire from the new harness and connect one other wire to the fuel pump.
They also do just the harness so you can buy from them separately.
One thing to keep in mind, I learned this after and it took some time, was that the 6L80E trans does not have a provision for a neutal safety or back up light switch. If you saw my earlier post, I modified my stock shifter by adding a pair of B&M shifter micro switches for those functions. In order to make everything work I made all my wiring connection behind the glove box where the factory ecm used to live. By using the factory IL1 and IL2 plugs my new engine harness is easy to disconnect for removal if needed. I kept the original toyota engine harness that came out with the engine when those 2 IL1 and IL2 plugs were disconnected. With the original harness I stripped out every thing that was unused and just left the transfer case and speed sensor wiring. I am pleased with the way the electrical turned out. The engine bay is much cleaner and has far less wiring than before. Just a not about the fuel pump and system.
I spent a lot of time pouring over the factory wiring diagrams to see how to power the fuel pump. What i ended up doing was removing the toyota fuel pump resistor that is mounted to the fender where the antennae is. I then cut the plug off and used the wire that goes from there directly to the fuel pump. I attached a single gm weather pack plug on that wire and put the other end of that plug on the fuel pump feed from my new harness ( the new harness has the fuel pump relay and fuse built in so no need for any thing from toyota)
To finish the fuel system I used a corvette fuel filter with built in pressure regulator. This gives you the exaxt 58 psi that the LS engine needs and only runs one fuel line up to the engine, which is all the new Gen IV engines use anyway. Just to clarify, I only used the Toyota fuel pump and sending unit in the tank, in fact I never even took it out, just accessed through the floor plate under back seat. I ran all #6 AN hose and Russell fittings for the fuel lines. I removed all the Toyota lines except for the tank vent line up to the canister. I have not yet figured out how I am going to tie the canister in yet. The filter mounts on the inside the frame to an existing hole just in front of the gas tank.
I hope this helps.

I ordered an adapter from the parker store for my water temp sender. It is a hydraulic adapter made out of steel. 16mm x 1.5mm female to 12mm x 1.5 male. It will screw into the plugged hole in the head and allow me to use the toyota sender. It cost less than $20

Well that didn't work out quit as planned. It still work out though. The adapter i bought was a hydaraulic adapter so the hole in the end where the coolant would flow was like 1/8". That was easily opened up to 1/4" (note the 12MM thread does not allow you to open it up large enough for the sensing bulb of the Toyota sender to fit through the treads) That brought me to the second problem,which was only slightly more difficult to solve. I needed to extent the adapter so the sender would screw into it without going into the area where the 12mm threads start. I you notice the marks adapter is quite long for this very reason. To solve it I picked up a 16mm x 1.5 nut and tig welded it to the end of the hydraulic adapter to extend it. It seals fine and seems to work as designed. It only cost $20 to make where as it would have cost me $75 to get it here from Mark's. I will post a pic

I sent this to sgpipes but though I would throw it up here too in case my experience to date helps anyone

To recap my swap is an aluminum 2013 GenIV 5.3L/6L80E combo into a '96 LX450

When I bought my engine/trans combo from pacific fabrication it cam with a new custom made harness. I will post some pics of it. The reason I went with them was that the cost of the engine and harness was really good and the have great reviews and a following on pirate4x4.
I could not be happier with the harness they provided. They use a bussman sealed waterproof fuse box and all top notch metri pack connectors. I new I was mounting the ecm and fuse box under the hood so this was important to me. To make the engine run I only needed to power up one ignition wire from the new harness and connect one other wire to the fuel pump.
They also do just the harness so you can buy from them separately.
One thing to keep in mind, I learned this after and it took some time, was that the 6L80E trans does not have a provision for a neutal safety or back up light switch. If you saw my earlier post, I modified my stock shifter by adding a pair of B&M shifter micro switches for those functions. In order to make everything work I made all my wiring connection behind the glove box where the factory ecm used to live. By using the factory IL1 and IL2 plugs my new engine harness is easy to disconnect for removal if needed. I kept the original toyota engine harness that came out with the engine when those 2 IL1 and IL2 plugs were disconnected. With the original harness I stripped out every thing that was unused and just left the transfer case and speed sensor wiring. I am pleased with the way the electrical turned out. The engine bay is much cleaner and has far less wiring than before. Just a not about the fuel pump and system.
I spent a lot of time pouring over the factory wiring diagrams to see how to power the fuel pump. What i ended up doing was removing the toyota fuel pump resistor that is mounted to the fender where the antennae is. I then cut the plug off and used the wire that goes from there directly to the fuel pump. I attached a single gm weather pack plug on that wire and put the other end of that plug on the fuel pump feed from my new harness ( the new harness has the fuel pump relay and fuse built in so no need for any thing from toyota)
To finish the fuel system I used a corvette fuel filter with built in pressure regulator. This gives you the exaxt 58 psi that the LS engine needs and only runs one fuel line up to the engine, which is all the new Gen IV engines use anyway. Just to clarify, I only used the Toyota fuel pump and sending unit in the tank, in fact I never even took it out, just accessed through the floor plate under back seat. I ran all #6 AN hose and Russell fittings for the fuel lines. I removed all the Toyota lines except for the tank vent line up to the canister. I have not yet figured out how I am going to tie the canister in yet. The filter mounts on the inside the frame to an existing hole just in front of the gas tank.
I hope this helps.
Thanks, do you happen to know the capacity of the fuel pump? I just assumed that it wouldn't be up to the demands of the the increased power.

Thanks, do you happen to know the capacity of the fuel pump? I just assumed that it wouldn't be up to the demands of the the increased power.
As it stands right now , the stock pump is working fine and no fuel issues. I know there are people on here that have upgraded the intank pump to a larger unit. I will see if i can find the specs on the stock pump.

As it stands right now , the stock pump is working fine and no fuel issues. I know there are people on here that have upgraded the intank pump to a larger unit. I will see if i can find the specs on the stock pump.

I am also running the stock pump. I assume it was the original. It had 165000 miles on it when I installed the ls, I have over 186000 miles on it now.. no problems.

I did a quick check of the specs i could find on rock auto. The toyota replacement pumps list a flow of 65 gph at max of 100psi
the gm pumps list anywhere from 70 to 85 gph at 90 psi max depending on what brand pump you look at. It should be adequate

I did a quick check of the specs i could find on rock auto. The toyota replacement pumps list a flow of 65 gph at max of 100psi
the gm pumps list anywhere from 70 to 85 gph at 90 psi max depending on what brand pump you look at. It should be adequate
sweet!

I see a lot about LS swaps. Has anyone swapped in a TBI chevy and retained the original Toyota automatic transmission? Longetivity issues with the A440 transmission that is in my 91 FJ80? It has 248xxx miles on it and shifts as it should right now but I would get a rebuild while it was apart. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom