Superwinch 90-14452 solenoid vs Warn 34971 contactor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been meaning to replace the old tin trash can style solenoids on my rear winch with a newer styled Albright solenoid pack :wrench:

It's a SuperWinch Husky 10 worm drive and the Albright 90-14452 is a direct replacement from SW :cool:

However, Warn lists a similar (if not exact) contactor that's also made by Albright :hmm:

Both look to be identical, but the Warn verssion is about $80 bucks more :confused:

Just curious if there's any difference at all :meh:

Can't tell about the difference or the warn version but I do have the Albright that came with my SW 16.5 and works wonders .. I mean under water, mud, and surviving heavy mud trip down here ( pretty humid ) aren't that easy ..

I also have one of those universal wireless attached that makes it even better ..

I just researched replacing the solenoids for my older MX6000 winch. I looked at the modern contactor and ended up phoning Warn Tech support to find the Warn part number for the contactor. FYI the old solenoids used a 3 wire system for the winch controller, and the new contactor utilizes a 5 wire system for the remote. So my understanding is you will have to replace your remote as well. If I'm wrong, let me know. As it stands, I'm sticking with the old solenoids as $ is tight.
Ironically I have a compressor winch on the front of my truck, and it is a 6 wire remote, so I can't use it for both either!! :doh:

FYI the old solenoids used a 3 wire system for the winch controller, and the new contactor utilizes a 5 wire system for the remote. So my understanding is you will have to replace your remote as well.

The solenoid pack on my front winch (EP9.0) is an Albright and uses a 3-wire remote

supawinchinstallwiring.JPG

The trash can solenoids on my Husky 10 also use the same 3-wire remote

I rarely ever use it though cause I have interior controls for both.

I wasn't sure for all contactors, my info came from Warn relative to Warn equipment, that's why I said I wasn't sure. I think the common link is Albright for contactors though. So what is the part number for your 3 wire contactor? You can help me out here, cause I'd sure be happier with the upgrade. Mine is getting mounted on the rear, and I've built a box for the contactor for a remoter placement away from the winch up out of the way.

I'm also curious then, are your interior remotes wireless?

I wasn't sure for all contactors, my info came from Warn relative to Warn equipment, that's why I said I wasn't sure. I think the common link is Albright for contactors though. So what is the part number for your 3 wire contactor?

I went with the 90-14452 since SW said it was a direct replacement :cool:

Here's a wiring diagram:

Husky10AlbrightWiringDiagram.jpg

I'm also curious then, are your interior remotes wireless?

Both the front and rear winch interior controls are wired directly and I use OEM seat heater switches to control them :)

newsuperiorredwoodz15.JPG

I don't like the wireless systems at all since they work on a delay (NOT what you want when doing sumthin as dangerous as winching) :eek:

Anyways, the new solenoid was a straight forward install, however, because the original cables are short, I had to mount the new pack upside down :hmm:

newwinchnoid1.jpg

newwinchnoid2.jpg

newwinchnoid3.jpg

newwinchnoid4.jpg

newwinchnoid5.jpg

newwinchnoid6.jpg

newwinchnoid7.jpg

newwinchnoid8.jpg

newwinchnoid9.jpg

A tech at Superwinch said it was fine and that the Albright packs can be mounted in any position :cool:

Here's a short test video on a jumper box before bolting it back under my rig.

I looked at these two before and came to the conclusion they were different contactors.

The best answer I came up with is here:

Outfield said:
The main differnce in these two contacors is the unit WARN uses (34971) is what we call a triple contactor or protected contactor. What this means is there are three coils, the current always goes thru the #1 coil, then to the power-in or power-out coil. With the protected contacor, if one coil welds itself together, the 2nd will still disconnect and the winch will stop operating. We use these in our Industrial Winches where they are sold into applications where they traditionally get used daily. This contactor is rated 100amps continuous duty, just as RED90 notes in his e-mail.

The expedition exchange contactor and also the HD unit on Devon's site are also rated 100 amps continuous, these have 2 coils. WARN is just now transitioning to this same type of contactor on almost all of the truck winches, this is definately an improvement over the solenoids

And physically, the Warn 34971 is larger than the SuperWinch 90-144452 and this supports the triple contactor explanation. I did purchase and use the SW Contactor. The quality seems good and it hasn't given me any trouble yet. I still don't know if it is an actual "Albright" contactor as I've never seen a reputable source making that claim but rather it being an Albright Type contactor. Also written here by Superwinch.

My Superwinch contactor came in an unmarked box and did say it was made in Asia (I think China). But Albright does now have manufacturing facilities in China. So, that bit of info is inconclusive as well.

Size difference: Superwinch on left. Warn on Right.

spw-90-14452_w_ml.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, I'll switch them up now. I found the 90-14452 for $106 at Summit. Anyone know of cheaper? I'm gonna be in Kansas by next week, so I can get it shipped there.

Snake,

You stuffed a spur gear 10k under the rear bumper and for that, you're my hero!!!

My question is did your remote winch control wiring easily translate to the new contactor? My answer is yes due to the fact that you were able to terminate the large gauge wires on the contact easily.

Snake,

You stuffed a spur gear 10k under the rear bumper and for that, you're my hero!!!

There's actually plenty of room back there :)

Here's a link to my old install thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/579938-rear-winch-install.html

My question is did your remote winch control wiring easily translate to the new contactor? My answer is yes due to the fact that you were able to terminate the large gauge wires on the contact easily.

Yes, all the remote wires translate correctly.

Although, I did add another ground wire as shown in the video.

The gray cable you see is just a conduit extension cable to make the run to the remote controller plug mounted on the left side of the x-member.

huzkyqinchinstalled13.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled14.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled15.JPG

winchnoidinstall9.JPG

winchnoidinstall11.JPG

Thanks for all the info, I'll switch them up now. I found the 90-14452 for $106 at Summit. Anyone know of cheaper? I'm gonna be in Kansas by next week, so I can get it shipped there.
Since this is for you Warn MX6000 winch, you can save a little money by going with a lighter duty Superwinch contactor. I think there is like 10 of them but they don't list the specs. The 90-14452 is for their 9k lb winches.

Go to the Superwinch website and find a winch that is similar to yours (i.e. current draw & max current). Then find the replacement solenoid for it and it should work fine with your equivalent winch.

Since this is for you Warn MX6000 winch, you can save a little money by going with a lighter duty Superwinch contactor. I think there is like 10 of them but they don't list the specs. The 90-14452 is for their 9k lb winches.

Go to the Superwinch website and find a winch that is similar to yours (i.e. current draw & max current). Then find the replacement solenoid for it and it should work fine with your equivalent winch.

Thanks for all, this is going to improve my install considerably. I might get the heavier contractor, as it will allow winch size upgrade if I do that, but I will go through the website and look at them all.
J

There's a 40% off coupon for everything at superwinch if you use the discount code SARCON13BB at superwinch's website. Here's the link to the 90-14452 contactor on their webiste : http://www.superwinch.com/p/12v-dc-solenoid . I ordered one to replace the solenoid pack on my warn M8000, ended up being just a touch over 75 bucks shipped. I have been looking around for a while and that's the cheapest i've found that contactor. Took about a week to ship from CT to the West Coast. Ordered it on the 13th, It shipped on the 16th and it got here today.

OK, another update.

When I contacted SW about the noid pack position, I also sent an email to Albright :hmm:

SW confirmed that the pack could be mounted in any position, but I just got an email from Albright suggesting that I remount the noid pack with the studs pointed anywhere but down :doh:

So it looks like I'll be tearing her down again and replacing the short cables :meh:

Nice set up spare tire space saver seen someone put a water tank and quick connect for water but would be nice to put a air tank for air ups or beach/lake time. Solid.

Planning on doing an Albright solenoid set up on a warn m8000 that I just aquired after I rebuild it. I'm want to mount it on the front stock bumper hidden for now until later I can fab up a stout but not to heavy front bumper.

Just got off the phone with Warn customer service and they specify part number 83668 as the replacement for the M12k winch.

Hmm, wonder if the remote winch control still wires up the same as the old solenoid pack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom