Another HJ61. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's never ends.... driving today clutch to the floor no pressure...

Slave clyinder leaking. Another part to replace wonder what's next? Haha

Hope I can get this fixed by next weekend. Seems pretty easy

Boooo
20160827_201023.jpg

Start her up in gear and power shift your way home. I've done it a handful of times. But im a cheap ass.

Well tried to replace it tonight one bolt came out super easy and the other ones head broke off haha I have some great luck.. it's been soaking in pb blaster for a week too.. have a buddy helping me tomorrow should be fix.
20160901_195216.jpg

When my slave cylinder was leaking it was still very drivable with no problem at all.
The pressure at the pedal was just way off and fluffy (that is another word for s***ty) And s***ty is slang for $h1tty
I wonder when that awful antisocial :flipoff2: will be removed from mud :p

Anyway, broken bolts s***, lick, puck?

Last edited:
Little update.. got the slave cylinder swapped out a while ago.. works like a champ ever since about 350km on it since the change..

I installed some HID lights today.. install was pretty easy once I figured where to place the ballast. I decided to mount them under the battery trays. Had to use zip ties but the final product once the battery's are installed you can't even notice..

I just messed with the lights a little once it got dark proboly needs an adjustment but they are definitely brighter.. only downside is when going from low to high beams it's slow.. like 3 -5 seconds until the high beams are fully bright. Overall I like it, but I'm worried about finding replacement bulbs when that time comes since they are 24v.

20161024_121147.jpg
20161024_121159.jpg
20161024_141737.jpg
20161024_185714_001.jpg

I had to replace my slave also. Just a heads up, my clutch booster was the next thing to go. When I replace that I'll replace the master at the same time.

Yea that's next on the to do list.. just need to source the parts..

Finnally arrived and picked it up yesterday. Drove it home about 450 miles. Things a solid ride at 75 mph and still has more to go.

No crazy build plans just the normal OME lift, 33s, 3" exhuast and new bumpers. That front bumper needs to go haha. No real time frame for getting any of it done.

I've been trying to figure out what BS to use when I order new wheels thinking 2.5 so I don't run spacers and it will fill those fender flares up as much as possible. Trying to get away from the safari look.

Really fun to drive and the AC works great.
First thing is to modify the glove box to lock somehow. And possibly a tuffy console. Need to get some real tires soon so I can go explore AZ...

View attachment 1289758
Love the high roof! Mine's a high roof HJ60 here, just northwest of you in Vegas. I had her shipped from Okinawa when I PCSd too. Thanks, Uncle Sam for picking up that bill, huh?

Welp.. did the old axle rebuild today.. and wow it kicked my ass.. haha not really difficult but just really time consuming and messy. It took me and another guy about 12 hours start to finish. Neither of us had any experiance. Just glad its done and i hope there are no surprises on my test ride tomorrow.

One side really needed it but the side pictured was not to bad.

I also got new tires and added spacers so more pics tomorrow ran out of day light.

Is the hj61 front axle different from other 60s/62s? Specifically the brake line bracket connected to the dust shield? I ended up drilling out two rivets on each shield to get the caliper off. Otherwise i had disconnect the brake lines. Not really a big deal i just was unprepared.. i wish i took a picture of it.

20180714_100048.jpg
20180714_121406.jpg
20180714_121411.jpg

After attending the solid axle summit I realized I need to do something for storage space or just a better way to keep organized. Got some ideas from people at the summit and on Mud and this is what i came up with. Please keep in mind I am not skilled with carpentry or upholstery. But it will definitely work for what I need.
20180825_175046.jpg

I used turnbuckles to secure it and they do a really good job..
20180825_175053.jpg

20180825_175103.jpg

I added a floor mat and carpet and this is the final product.. I forgot to get a pic with stuff loaded, but I have a cargo net that will go over top of everything a keep it all secure.
20180825_200134.jpg

20180825_200202.jpg

Finally got around to the best mod ever, I had a straight pipe installed. This is how these should have come from the factory the sound just does not get old. I should have done this years ago. Nothing special at all.
20200207_161246.jpg

20200207_161251.jpg

20200207_161235.jpg

I also got an OME kit. I will be painting the axles, so it will take a little more time because of that. Hopefully, I'll have all this done in the next week or so. Going to wire wheel everything and then prime and paint with Rustoleum stuff. I'm am doing this as cheap as possible so rattle cans it is. If anyone has any tips or pointers I'm all ears!

20200201_160302.jpg

How big did you go on the exhaust? I have a 3" straight pipe from the turbo back and it sounds magical!

Same 3" all the way. I think they used some of the original downpipe and welded the larger pipe onto it but 3" for the most part. It is indeed a magical sound!

So this was quite the adventure. I started bright and early on Saturday morning at my house... Right, when I got under the truck I realized that removing the axles and getting them set up for painting was not happening. I did not know how in-depth that would be so I decided to start doing the lift. That was another mistake trying to do this at my house. Floor jack, bottle jacks, jack stands all equal one pain in the ass time. I eventually got the rear leafs finished after fighting lining the leafs up with the axle and driveshaft install issues. After all that I decided to go to the auto hobby shop on the airbase and rent a lift which made all the difference in the world. Finished everything in about 6 hours, which included removing the rubber OEM stuff from the rears and putting in the correct bushings.. :doh:

Hats off to @CenTXFJ60 I would be stuck if it was not for his telephone support when I ran into issues, he had answers and a fix for everything. Thanks again!:beer:
20200211_103003.jpg

20200211_115134.jpg

I have zero weight in the back of this and both rear seats are removed as well, so the back sits a little high but I'm sure it will settle and when I load it down it will ride even better.

20200211_163417.jpg

I really want 33s on this, but I do not think it will fit in my garage. 31s on it now are pushing it, damn high roof...
20200211_185522.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom