What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSC00714.JPG
Finally tested the transmission on a bear scout above Silverwood Lake. Over the summer I pulled the transmission and had Hesperia Transmission shop install a 3rd gear slider. No more popping out of 3rd on a down hill idle. Really stiff shifting like its brand new. Hesperia Transmission is a great shop, by the way.
DSC00733.JPG

Spot says, "what's a bear, Mitch"
DSC00731.JPG

Ride some, walk some more. We encountered two black bears right here, about a 100 feet ahead. The Big One in front gave us a look-over bobbing his head up and down and then back and forth a couple times -kind of a hello and good bye, then took a couple steps over the side. Buddy bear behind him followed suit. By the time I got the camera out, and checked for a third bear, they had taken an E-ticket slide ride down a few hundred yards of oak/fir debris and vanished. Spot, who is normally willing to chase anything that runs, did not. Smart dog.

DSC00716.JPG

Fall colors up close and personal. Broad Leaf Maple up front and poison oak back side. One works on the back side and the other is disaster on the back side.

on the 82 FJ40 I had a crazy chirping noise coming from the dash area, it started a few years ago and has gotten worse.....to the point it was driving me mad. It was odd, the it only chirped when it warmed up to operating temp. Has no relation to speed, gear or anything that made since. I thought maybe that might be the speedo cable....so I put a new OEM one on......but nope it still chirped.

I went around time and time, tightened some bolts and stuff.....no love. Lubed the chasis and suspension. Next step was to put it on the rack and start checking from below.

While waiting for the rack to open, I went thru a pile of new parts I had, put on a new inner and outer shift boot, new boot retainer(I had lost the old one) I also put on new rubber the hood rests on(sides and front) as well as new window pads......it was at that moment I found the noise.....when I undid the hood hook it made the same springy chirp. Took it for a drive and no more chirp! so somehow when it warmed up the springs in the semi new OEM hold downs started to make a chirp noise. Amazing.....

also got the bypass hose from Shipmag put on, didnt need it but hey........?

Man, that cruiser is a beauty. Looks brand new!

Good evening Mud!! I am back after a few years. 40 has been sitting at my dad's for the past 4.5 years not running. You know growing up, getting a real job, buying a house and getting married put a damper on my cruiser habit. Well the wife said it was time to bring the cruiser home to our house. Everything worked as I left it except for the turn signals. After tinkering, not only do my turn signals still not work, but now my headlights do not work. Change out fuses and still nothing. Will a short in my turn signals prevent the headlights from coming on?

I received a package today

I need one of those fans, and the related spacer, for the Piggy, as I still have the four blade metal evil thing. I took care of the 40 years ago, when the fan came apart on the freeway and lodged itself in my hood, with about 4 inches sticking out.

Good evening Mud!! I am back after a few years. 40 has been sitting at my dad's for the past 4.5 years not running. You know growing up, getting a real job, buying a house and getting married put a damper on my cruiser habit. Well the wife said it was time to bring the cruiser home to our house. Everything worked as I left it except for the turn signals. After tinkering, not only do my turn signals still not work, but now my headlights do not work. Change out fuses and still nothing. Will a short in my turn signals prevent the headlights from coming on?

Clean all your grounds... Frame, engine, light-mounts, starter case, etc.

Clean all your fuseblock contacts...

It's been sitting for a long time... It's probably bad grounds... @bikersmurf has a thread about "grounds" that eloquently describes the multitude of 'strange' issues that pop up when ground arent', well, grounding.

Welcome back!!

Welcome back DDog.

Thanks, it's 100% original unrestored survivor, bought from widow of original owner back in 2003.

Man, that cruiser is a beauty. Looks brand new!

Last edited:
Finished my Dakota Digital install on my '76, added new stereo, Alpine amp and subwoofer, added a new Hi Jack to the front bumper and new bench seat and seat belts.
IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

except for the turn signals. After tinkering, not only do my turn signals still not work, but now my headlights do not work. Change out fuses and still nothing. Will a short in my turn signals prevent the headlights from coming on?
Your hazard switch may have gone bad. Turn signals route through that switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom