Step by Step Engine Re-Assembly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ModisetteJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.twitter.com
Hey all,

I've been looking for a good step by step engine assembly, and I'm not having any luck. Does anything like this exist? I understand that not everyone thinks the way I do, and the thought of having to repeat steps or redo work because I don't know what I'm doing is already frustrating. I downloaded the shop manual, and it definitely sufficed when putting the head back on the block and reassembling the actual engine, but now that we've got it back in the truck, we're really not sure where to go from here. When we took it all apart, we took pictures of the important things, but we didn't write down the steps in which we removed things (which I'm now regretting). If I just have to dive in and tackle it head first that's fine, but before I start it would be great to know if there is another option.

Thanks in advance.

So engine is assembled & bolted in, w/ exhaust bolted on.
Essentially we need all the pulleys/accessories bolted on, carb/air intake installed, vacuum lines + heater hoses + plug wires installed. Need to install fan clutch & fan + shroud and the AC. And the front fascia/radiator support. Also we need to tighten that crank pulley bolt to spec.

The only finnicky thing (that is giving us a headache) is the bolts for the shroud around the front driveshaft. I cant remember if its 3 or 4 bolts, but at least one is in proper, the rest have been difficult to even get threaded on.

A couple of changes to the Output's list - do the coolant/heater hoses, fan shroud, fan, and fan clutch all before AC condenser and radiator support bar. And if you think you may ever need to get back in to do belts and water pump again, cut the fan shroud in half (horizontally) for easy access next time around (should there ever be one.)

I have a build thread
Saving another FJ60!
with alot of pics from when I did my engine. The FSMs are the best way to get all the important info you need. Take your time and have fun.

YES THANK YOU. the best advice EVER! in fact, just do the shroud mod NOW, regardless...

A couple of changes to the Output's list - do the coolant/heater hoses, fan shroud, fan, and fan clutch all before AC condenser and radiator support bar. And if you think you may ever need to get back in to do belts and water pump again, cut the fan shroud in half (horizontally) for easy access next time around (should there ever be one.)

Great list, ect.... Probably because I am a female and my hand strength isn't what a mans is but, holy damn, reinstalling the hoses to the WP suck.

Great list, ect.... Probably because I am a female and my hand strength isn't what a mans is but, holy damn, reinstalling the hoses to the WP suck.
Yeah if you are talking about that little bastard that is about 5" long and cocked at a 18* angle inbetween a hardline that comes off the lower oil cooler, the lower rad and the water pump... I cursed and bloodied more than my fair share of knuckles on that one along with my buddy and I have normal to large sized hands.

Yeah if you are talking about that little bastard that is about 5" long and cocked at a 18* angle inbetween a hardline that comes off the lower oil cooler, the lower rad and the water pump... I cursed and bloodied more than my fair share of knuckles on that one along with my buddy and I have normal to large sized hands.
The hardline is in my hand and I have tried it back and forth so many different ways and every fing time that little L bracket off it hangs me up. I'm honestly thinking I'll cut the b**** off and be done with it since the attachment is NFG and been gone who knows. @CaptClose thankfully told me the trick with soapy water but its not enough with the angle. I pulled the AC compressor just cuz I pulled the condensor anyhow, no sense leaving it in and I still can't get the angle with that bracket attached.

IMG_1648.JPG

@NeverGiveUpYota My only advice would be something I learned from the the great and wise @Output Shaft when it comes to dealing with these difficult tasks....

Be a Zen mechanic. Whether it be a single bolt, like that firewall side manifold bastard, or your particular predicament. Take deep breaths, slow progress is still progress. Even if that one task takes you all day, that one bolt/hose/whatever, might just be the mountain you climbed that day. When you feel like cussing... step back, breath and relax. Then when you're ready, calmly continue.

If that doesn't work, then it's BFH time!

Or cut off dremel wheel time!!!!

That pipe is tough with the engine in the truck. Try to keep the 90° tab. Arrange the clamps so the screws will be easy to access when assembled. Use a little soap on the WP pipe.

You might try attaching the hose to the WP first. Then sliding on the down pipe. It is possible. The hose is tough enough to be folded a bit in the middle to get a better angle on it.

Good luck!

word.

T'was a new hose. This girl wouldn't use an old hose! Took a pair of channel lockers and bent the bracket. ;) Better choice than the cut off wheel. Its on now.

IMG_1653.JPG

Front driveshaft is the last thing on the list. Not important right now.

Here's one list in order:

1. Crank pulley nut
2. Water pump
3. Lower thermostat housing
4. Upper thermostat housing w thermostat.
5. PS pump & bracket
6. Smog pump
7. Alternator
8. Radiator
9. Radiator support cross bar
10. AC condenser & stuff
11. Coolant hoses
12. Heater hoses
13. Fan Shroud
14. Fan clutch & fan
15. Belts
16. Carb
17. Fuel lines
18. Vacuum hoses, EGR & spaghetti piping. One support tab of piping goes under a thermostat housing bolt.
19. Ignition wires/spark plug stuff.
20. Fill engine with coolant
21. Air cleaner housing
Thanks for the list. I have joined my son in this assembly. We now have it in my shop. We are at #10 on the list and moving forward. Thanks everyone for the help.

Ok, it looks like we're about ready to start putting fluid in it. Should I go full synthetic? I live in Northeast Texas. Coldest it gets here on average is mid-high 20's, but that's only for a short amount of time.

some people may say otherwise, but I say NOWAY...maybe it stems from fear of things which I can't understand, but I like dinosaurs on my bearings...heck, maybe even a dolphin or 2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom