Headlight Upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into upgrading the stock headlights on my 1998 100. What options are available aside from going to the 2003-2006 headlights and grill?

Thank you,

HID is old tech. Slow warmup, Low lifespan, Gets hot, Still has filament which reduces durability. Led is the way to go! (more lumens). However, because of the housing the beam pattern is not as "full" as HID

I'm looking into retrofitting my headlights before winter. Recently I've been eyeing the SC430 projectors with FX-R lenses.

Haven't decided if I want to do that or just do a cheaper known retrofit with the morimoto kit.

I have a fair bit of knowledge of LEDs (Dad works for Cree) and a properly designed system (BMW's new lights) are amazing but current market drop-in offerings that I've seen haven't impressed me as much as a proper HID retrofit.

Last edited:
HID is old tech. Slow warmup, Low lifespan, Gets hot, Still has filament which reduces durability. Led is the way to go! (more lumens). However, because of the housing the beam pattern is not as "full" as HID
HID old tech is old tech. HID new tech is about as good as it gets. I'm running a TSX retrofit with morimoto components and Phillips bulbs set up at 35w. Immediate warmup, we're talking 10s or quicker. Crazy long lifespan, and I enjoy the warm headlights in the snow and ice.

Sounds like your fears are based off a cheap eBay 55w setup. As long as you go factory components or better with an HID setup, you will not be disappointed. But I will state I only approve of HIDs in projectors or approved reflector bowls.

LED tech is advancing like crazy and I believe it has endless potential. However after trying several different branded bulbs in several different vehicles, the output still isn't there for me for plug and play systems. Ive always been OCD about my lighting so I've tried about every different setup you can imagine, and the HID in a quality projector always wins.

Filament? On HID?

I thought by definition HID creates light by "arcing" between 2 tungsten electrodes.

HID old tech is old tech. HID new tech is about as good as it gets. I'm running a TSX retrofit with morimoto components and Phillips bulbs set up at 35w. Immediate warmup, we're talking 10s or quicker. Crazy long lifespan, and I enjoy the warm headlights in the snow and ice.

Sounds like your fears are based off a cheap eBay 55w setup. As long as you go factory components or better with an HID setup, you will not be disappointed. But I will state I only approve of HIDs in projectors or approved reflector bowls.

LED tech is advancing like crazy and I believe it has endless potential. However after trying several different branded bulbs in several different vehicles, the output still isn't there for me for plug and play systems. Ive always been OCD about my lighting so I've tried about every different setup you can imagine, and the HID in a quality projector always wins.

This is the kit I got: 9006 HIGH OUTPUT LED HEADLIGHTS LMZ PLATINUM 25W
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the projector retrofit require a bit of cutting on the housings? What if I don't want to do that? Is it really worth it? My friend has an HID kit don't know which one. His beam pattern was clearly better than mine, but I felt mine threw light further. I will do more comparison.

This is the kit I got: 9006 HIGH OUTPUT LED HEADLIGHTS LMZ PLATINUM 25W
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the projector retrofit require a bit of cutting on the housings? What if I don't want to do that? Is it really worth it? My friend has an HID kit don't know which one. His beam pattern was clearly better than mine, but I felt mine threw light further. I will do more comparison.
Used a similar set and the fans were junk. But like I stated above, I have been disappointed with every LED bulb I've used.
A projector retrofit would probably require some modification to the housing, but it is well worth it. I have a solid beam with no bright spots or blind spots, perfect cutoff line that does not blind other drivers, and a strong enough beam to not get lost in the rain or other weather. My high beams are pretty much pointless at this point until I upgrade them to HID as well (HID in high beam bowl is acceptable).

Is it really worth it? Like stated, I've had every setup in the market. I will pick a proper HID setup in a projector any day, as it provides the most accurate fulfilling light, while being considerate to other drivers.
Biased chart to sell product. Looks like they're comparing the worst HID setup with the best LED one.

Last edited:
Modest upgrade compared to a good HID setup, but does nobody bother with the HIR Phillips 9011/9012 bulbs like the 80 guys do? Really popular upgrade on the 80 side. I have a set in the garage waiting for a bulb to burn out in the 100. Even with the stock set-up, the lighting in the 100 is so vastly superior to the 80, I haven't been that motivated to change anything.

Modest upgrade compared to a good HID setup, but does nobody bother with the HIR Phillips 9011/9012 bulbs like the 80 guys do? Really popular upgrade on the 80 side. I have a set in the garage waiting for a bulb to burn out in the 100. Even with the stock set-up, the lighting in the 100 is so vastly superior to the 80, I haven't been that motivated to change anything.
HIR upgrade would be great! I'm not sure why it's not done more, though I cannot speak as I have a LX.

Here's what I think is the best headlight choices:

LC:
Good: stock housing with high quality halogen bulb (Phillips, silverstars, etc) or HIR bulb
Best: projector retrofit with high quality HID bulb/ballast

LX:
Good: stock projectors swapped with a clear lens and squirrel finders covered up, with high quality H1 bulb
Best: retrofitted 2.5" projector in stock shroud with high quality HID bulb/ballast

I did the HIR upgrade...super easy and mild improvement over stock.

@hidesertfj40 - A proper retrofit is the way to go, see pics below of the lights I had built by Danny at RIHIDS. Mine are a bit overkill with the dedicated high-beam and the LED DRL/turn signal strip, but I'm very happy with the results and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others (in fact I think he's done several 100 series builds since I originally started plugging him on here :) )

20150930_205839_zpspkacrvvw.jpg

20150930_210153_zpsykpwsd2u.jpg

DSC_0014_zpscfi2mcf9.jpg

That looks good! Is the center bulb a different temperature? Or is it just the camera not picking up the proper colors? I would hate if it didn't match.

That looks good! Is the center bulb a different temperature? Or is it just the camera not picking up the proper colors? I would hate if it didn't match.
I'm sure @spaber05 will chime in, but I'll go ahead and give a vague answer. The outside "lights" that you are seeing is LED accent lighting. The middle light is the actual HID beam on in the projector. The LEDs match because they are running lights and I'm assuming he wants to show them off. With the projectors on however, they're so bright that you can't really distinguish a color from the beam.

It's hard to explain, but basically I'm assuming in the above pic that his LED marker lights have a color more close to 6000k and his HID projectors are more close to 5000k. But theoretically you can set it up anyway you want. You could make those LEDs amber or pure white, change the color "intensity" on The HID bulbs

I have a similar setup, but I turn off my accent lighting when my HIDs kick on.

If you live in snow belt, LED's aren't hot enough to melt the snow so you have to stop and clean your headlights as your vis gets worse.
This has been my other issue with LED bulbs. Last winter I had to swap in a pair of halogens into my dads rig because his lights kept icing over. New OE LED housings have warmers in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom