bj40-001001 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi everyone, i just found this bj40, asking 4700 us

serial number is interesting, can someone please tell me what it means ?
does the engine seem to be an original, diesel B engine ?

thanks for your help in advance

2yytj87.jpg

does the price seem reasonable ?
does it look like the original engine ?

The body looks pretty good, from what we can see, for that price. And yeah, B engine is stock for that year so looks original. What serial number? If it runs OK I'd snap that up, even with the duct taped steering column.

Hi folks. I'm off work today and it's rainy and someone's sent me a PM which has prompted me to log onto ih8mud to answer it whereupon I've immediately got sidetracked to this thread. - Which is good because it looks like I've beaten Rudi ..:)

The following thread was set up to help us determine build dates for old diesels like this one:
B-series & H-series landcruiser Engine-Serial-Number/VIN-Number thread

So with BJ40-001001 stamped into the chassis it looks to me like 1975 (just going down as far as post #8 in that thread and assuming rendrag's information is accurate there).

But while the engine is indeed a B-engine, I'm pretty sure it isn't the original one that this vehicle left the factory with. I say this because the flat/horizontal busbar on the glow plugs is a feature of post-1980 B-engines and the horizontal intake throat on the intake manifold was used on B-series engines installed in Dyna trucks (and some other Toyota models) but never used in any 40-series Land Cruisers.

:beer:

PS. The way the primer pump is mounted also suggests a later-model engine

would it still be a good deal ?

Well it doesn't seem at all over-priced to me. In fact, it could even be a bargain, but only someone seeing it in the flesh could be sure.

The later-model engine is probably more of a good thing than bad ... because, for instance, it should have the gear-reduction starter which is a lot more reliable than the starter a 1975/76 B-engine would have had.

How are the external mirrors attached? - Probably a minor thing but it just looks very irregular.

The body looks straight with no obvious sign of rust. - which is always good.

The blinkers on the front mudguards serve the purpose but would offend many of us who prefer things looking more original.

Lots of knobs are missing on the dash and there's home-made "trim-cards" on the insides of the doors.

Overall ... Well worth considering for purchase in my opinion (from my armchair far far away)......

:D

PS. There might be a mixture of different years in the body parts too.. But I'm really no expert in that regard. The doors for instance may be off a later model.. Do they all close and fit OK?

Last edited:
Ummm. Uneducated (damn I say that a lot) but that must be a rather low frame number. I mean, FJ40 started at 10,000 right? So did the BJ line start with 1,000?

Ummm. Uneducated (damn I say that a lot) but that must be a rather low frame number. I mean, FJ40 started at 10,000 right? So did the BJ line start with 1,000?

The first BJ40 rolled off the line in February 1974 and I always assumed they started from BJ40-000000 but you know what they say about "assuming".

So I really have no firm idea on the start number for the BJ40-series..

All I can say is that the first one must be either this one or one with a lower number.

(I think this is the earliest BJ40 that has so far come to light on ih8mud but to be honest I think it is far from being the earliest ever made.)

:beer:

If... this is a "General Market" model for the tropics then it should not have a heating and blower system. That spot is covered with a blind panel.
But... if that is so, you don't have much way of ventilation because you don't have the flip out windows in the doors and the rear windows.
I think the windows are replaced and they skipped the flip out windows.
Those front blinkers don't have running lights. Don't know the regulations in your neck of the woods but it means that you have no parking/running/marker lights in the front when you park your car at night.
The glow controller (under the headlight switch) is shot and NLA so be prepared to find a modified glow circuit.
Do you have a picture from the rear because I think I see a telescopic arm for a barn door set up.

Anyway, if there is not too much rust and it runs fine, you'll have a nice Cruiser for $4,700

Rudi

heck if I know......maybe a replacement frame?

any other tags on it? there should be at least one other VIN tag....

im now beeing told it is a 1975, yes the doors seem to have been replaced including the back door, good eye ;) !!

i was told by the owner that it did have air condition, but it was removed.

i do not want to get back and forth with the owner because he keeps raising the price on me

my main objective is to buy it and keep it for at least 10 years to let it mature a little longer like a good wine ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom