Builds 2016 TLC build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just took ownership of my 2016 Cruiser Mag grey. I just drove it home last night and went to work prepping for my build. I've ordered some 285/65r18 KO2s, removing the running boards and am having custom full length drawer system built.

I have hit a bump in the road. I removed both the second and third rows. Because the 2nd row has airbags removing them has triggered the warning light on my dash. Does anyone know how I can deactivate the airbag dash light?

Because you guys like pics.

IMG_1464.JPG

Congrats.

I think the reason may be is because the seatbelt pretensioner is disconnected causing a faulty airbag system. Perhaps a dummy plug could reverse this to keep the light from going off. Check with your dealer and cruisers specialty mechanics/electricians to be sure of the pros/cons of doing this. Safety is crucial here.

I was hoping it would be as easy as a dummy plug or even just a software option. Any idea how to access the hidden service menu on the NAV system?

I was hoping it would be as easy as a dummy plug or even just a software option. Any idea how to access the hidden service menu on the NAV system?

I do not know from my own experience but my interpretation of what appears on lcool.org (where this comes up frequently) was that a resistance mod was necessary with the plug and the details are provided. Also there was some concern that the second row removal might impact first row functionality in addition to merely triggering an annoying warning light. Any impact on the first row seems like a design issue but I would want to confirm exactly what the impact is.

Because you guys like pics.

View attachment 1341120

Hmmm... Custom full length drawers that required 2nd row removal...

Rifles?
Fishing Poles?
Dead bodies?

I can fit my ARs and aaaaalmost my Benelli M4 in my ARB drawers, but no truly looooong guns.

What's the scoop?

Last edited:
I do not know from my own experience but my interpretation of what appears on lcool.org (where this comes up frequently) was that a resistance mod was necessary with the plug and the details are provided. Also there was some concern that the second row removal might impact first row functionality in addition to merely triggering an annoying warning light. Any impact on the first row seems like a design issue but I would want to confirm exactly what the impact is.

When I was at Slee this summer...they had one second row seat removed from their shop 570 for a fridge install, and I asked this question. They said it had no impact on other airbags, and if memory serves...they just ignored the light.

Your comment about just ignoring the warning telltale rings a memory bell. I suppose that means that you sacrifice any warning on a subsequently malfunctioning front seat though. The Aussies seem to play the regulation/safety game much harder than the States. Contrary to common folklore Stateside.

I found this on an FJ forum where the front buckets were replaced with aftermarket seats that did not have airbags.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - View Single Post - TC's FJC

His fix was to take the male harness and putting a 2.2ohm resistor in line. This would match the resistance of the airbag to trick the SRS ecu into thinking the bag was still present.

Any thoughts?

IMG_1499.PNG

Weather techs and 285/65r18 KO2s went on yesterday.
For those interested, the 285/65 spare fits underneath with room to spare.

Plazma LED signals (and electronic relay), markers, reverse and plate lights ordered and shipped today. I still can't believe a truck with such a substantial price tag in 2016 came with so many incandescent bulds.

I'll be dropping it off for tint tomorrow and will post pics when I get it back.

Congrats on the truck

Agree on all the lighting upgrade our Lc needed as well

Cars that cost 1/3 has better lighting

That said our LX has fantastic lighting
Must be because of all the dark and scary mall parking lots it has to traverse :D

Plazma LED signals (and electronic relay), markers, reverse and plate lights ordered and shipped today. I still can't believe a truck with such a substantial price tag in 2016 came with so many incandescent bulds.

I'll be dropping it off for tint tomorrow and will post pics when I get it back.

Please do post pics... I have a '16 and have seen very little done with them so far... right now it's slim pickin's on upgrades to front/rear bumpers, etc... i'd love to see the progress!

(I have to say though... after the last 5 years of being in BMW 5- and 7-series, it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive this truck. I love it - even with all it's little flaws - and I know they're mostly minor nitpicks, but at the price point some of them are pretty silly to have to deal with)

Well mark me as interested as to how this turns out! I have a gray '16 that I haven't done much to other than removing the huge rear LCD screens and third row seats.

Love seeing you guys jump right into the mods with these new Cruisers.

@PDXLX, definitely post some photos when you can.

Brushie- I'm very interested to know how to remove those horrible LCDs.

I had the same feelings about the screens. They are easy to remove. Pop off the plastic cover at the mount, remove three obvious nuts and unplug two wiring harnesses. I also had a custom interior shop near me create a cover with USB ports.

View attachment 1342963

That's new!! Meaning...they fixed the GAPING HOLE left in the 2016 if screens were removed!

Toyota must have heard the collective GROANS of the world!

Brushie - Impressive fix, very nice work. Please PM me contact info, unless Toyota changes the design we'll need it if we upgrade next year. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom