968shelbs 78 FJ55 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a hard pill to swallow. I'm with Napster, look for good doors and hood if needed and don't spend the big bucks on that type of repair. It's unfortunate but most pigs suffer all the same rot. Only advise I'd offer, if asked, don't be so quick to sell your parts. Take a step back and think about it more. Maybe in a year or two you'll be in a better position to start back into it. I sold all my stuff and two vehicles a 40 and a 55, back in the 90s, thinking I'm moving on to other things...:doh:

Good luck man, you'll figure out what's right for you.

Spread out the work and do some searching for body parts. There are still some parts available but it's a treasure hunt. Get the shell fixed (roof rot, floors, rear corners) then don't panic about the rest. The 55 is a very unique vehicle so stick with it.

Pigs can be expensive pets. I'm not surprised with the estimate after the "resto" we did on Arnold and it wasn't a body off. The more grinding the more extensive the rust became - we had to completly rebuild the A pillar and section of roof. If the funds work out prime what you've got - put the pig back together and drive it until the right time comes. I'd hate to see a nice project be parted and unfortuneately the :princess: would kill me if I brought another one home.

Take a breather and figure out what you can do - even if it takes a little time. You'll be glad you did. Good pigs are simply too difficult to come by.

And go back to Freeborn red and Cygnus white - great color combo

Again 2nd and 3rd opinion. One thing you need to decide is do I want fully restored to park in the garage and just drive once a month. Or do I want a driver I can do what I want and still get another 40 years out of. I can only imagine what the tailgate cost. I also notnoticed the ratrod and C channeled frame on the pickup he has in his shop. If it's not going to Barrett Jackson then Fug it, find a less expensive way and enjoy. I don't have room for a 4th, but I hate that they keep disappearing. It Sucks.

Bob :)

Thanks, everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. I love 55s and, regardless of what happens to this one, I'll have to own one again someday in the future.

I generally feel confident mechanically, but I have zero experience with metalwork, bodywork, and paint. My whole plan for this project was to clean, rebuild, and paint the mechanical parts while outsourcing the stuff I didn't have the experience to do myself to professionals. Maybe I just need to take this whole mess as an opportunity to learn how to repair rust, do bodywork, and apply paint. I might not wind up with as nice of a rig (by Barrett Jackson standards), but I'd save money and learn a lot along the way.

This "new" plan would be a HUGE undertaking, but it would be cool to learn to do some of those new things. I guess I just need to decide if I'm dedicated enough to commit the next 3-5 years to this thing (or longer), rather than the 18 months I had initially hoped (@Lil'John you called this in your first reply! haha).

I'll think on all of the different options for a while longer before I decide whether to start parting her. For now, the entire project is on Craigslist at a price above parts value - I figure if I part with it, I'd prefer it go to someone who will hopefully continue the project.

Decisions, Decision. Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

P.S. - @bobm Do you still have a full panel set available or are you all sold out?

From what I've seen on this forum, iron pigs are ALL a huge undertaking. We all want you to succeed so another one stays on the road for a long time. You may not think so, but you already made progress on your build.

Hated to read the ad, as it was all too familiar a Pig and knew it immediately.

Reminder, the 'new set of reproduction tail lights' were a 'gift', with the caveat that your original were sent back, along with the rebuilt hinges.

I'll pay shipping, make it as easy as dropping all on a fedex store counter and they'll box it up, even, so only investment would be your time.

I think if I were in your shoes - blasted body, but with rust damage - I would make this time to learn how to shoot my own paint!

Get you an entry level paint gun and just shoot the body with some fresh color and drive it! Screw the body work, life is short.

BTW, Panther Pink - think about it! YOLO...

Well, a lot has changed in my life since I last updated this thread. I graduated school, moved a couple hours away from my project, and started a pretty demanding new job. Good news is that the project is still on, albeit on a much slower timeline.

I've traveled home a couple weekends to work on the cruiser and have made some decent progress. Frame has been blasted and epoxy powdercoated; reese hitch receiver added for cargo basket duty; rear axle has been disassembled, inspected, and is waiting at the powdercoater; all frame and rear axle hardware is headed to the plater's tomorrow. I've placed an order for new pinion/axle seals and bearings, and I hope to reassemble the axle on my next trip home. After that, the front axle is next.

I've ordered the panels I need from Bob, but haven't started on the body yet - it's still sitting on the rotisserie waiting. We talked to another guy locally who we trust about doing the metal work buy he's dragging his feet. I'm not going to beg him to work on it. Plan is to get the frame and axles rebuilt and restored first so that the frame rolls. Then, if the new guy hasn't come through, my dad and I are going start learning bodywork.

Pictures to come soon!

Good News! Slow is better than none! You've got a great cheering section and information source here. Most of us have been there so we know the joys and the pains.

Well, a lot has changed in my life since I last updated this thread. I graduated school, moved a couple hours away from my project, and started a pretty demanding new job.

Pictures to come soon!

That is awesome! Now all you need to do is find a pretty little :princess: to settle down with. Then you will have all kinds of time to work on the :pig:!

Congratulations - sounds like a busy year!

Good to hear! Two hours which way from Springfield?

More like 3 hours. Kansas City area!

That is awesome! Now all you need to do is find a pretty little :princess: to settle down with. Then you will have all kinds of time to work on the :pig:!

Find a :princess:, then have a couple :slap:. Then you will have plenty of time for the :pig:.

I can't even imagine. Fortunately, the girlfriend has been supportive so far!

Headed home this weekend to work a bit on the cruiser. I'm going to try to remember to get a few photos of the progress we've made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom