5VZ-FE unsettling engine squeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1999 5VZFE out of a 4Runner. Currently, it is swapped into a second gen.

Odd engine noise that I can only describe and a high pitched squeal. It always happens when first starting up the motor and then shutting her down. I also get the noise with varied repeatability when I accelerate sharply. Squeal seems to happen in the engine is reving down. Clutch in or out does not seem to make a difference.

To troubleshoot I have:
Removed all belts
Replaced timing belt, water pump, idler, tensioner, tensioner pulley.
I have replaced the crank drive pulley with another one from a wrecked 5VZFE. Torqued to 219 FT/LB.

Here is vid before I replaced everything:

Here is vid after WP/Timing with no accessories at all:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am this close to tearing everything apart. But, I would love to have an idea of what I am looking for before I pull it.

Thanks

Sounds like metal against metal....when you rev it there is enough flex that a rub happens somewhere. Have you looked at that metal plate behind the idler? Maybe there is a loose bolt which is allowing some flex?? That's all I can think of. I had a squeal on my 04' but tracked it down to the tensioner..but you have replaced that. Best of luck!

We just had a 3.4L come into the shop with about a 1/4" if play in the crank. With the belts off, you could grab the crank pulley and shove the whole crank in and out. The crazy thing was, it didn't make a sound(yet). Since you replaced the harmonic balancer, I would guess that you would have noticed any similar slop in the crank. It seems that it's not too common for the thrust washers to drop down into the pan, but not unheard of either.

Check camshaft for play or open up valve covers and inspect for any signs of metal contact. Keep us posted on what you find,i have a 3.4l on my 4runner.

I'd almost think the oil pump rotor is contacting it's housing. That would make sense with the lack of oil pressure during startup and shutdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom