Randomly found an 88 4runner "for sale" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tmoore41

95 LC, 94 LC, 01LX470 Newbie
SILVER Star
Threads
Good Morning,

This is my first post outside of the 80 series LC forums. I went to look at a small boat for sale across town yesterday. The elderly gentleman selling the boat opened his garage to get out some paperwork revealing a great looking 88 4runner. Grey in color, SR5, V6 Auto, power windows, etc. Interior is in amazing shape, exterior not bad for age, zero rust, engine cranked and sounds great, no visible fluid leaks. The guy swears it rides and drives great, but he almost never drives it anymore. Claims he used it to make a couple trips to New Mexico and planned to use it at his deer lease. Right at 200k on the mileage. Not much in the way of service records. I did not get a chance to take any photos.

I know these rigs can be hard to find. It is not officially for sale, but he said he would probably part with it for less than 3K. I used to own a 95 4runner and currently own a 95 LC - The last thing I need is another vehicle, but is this too good of a deal to pass up?

Thinking I might be able to pick up the 4runner and the boat for less than 6K total. Maybe I can sell the 4runner to pay for the boat......

Thanks for any help

Oh yeah it also has brand new BFG All Terrain K02's. Those alone should be worth close to $900.....

I have an 88 and love it to death. Its an auto/v6 vehicle but the automatic was swapped out to a 5 speed at some point. For what it's worth, mine popped the head gasket at 200k a few years back. I'm at 233k now and it runs great.

The 3.0 V6 is known for needing a new head gasket sometime in the first 200K miles. Auto tranny is fine for stock tires...but put 31s on it and it needs re-geared to 4.88s. Otherwise, sounds like a $4500 4Runner from the prices I see.

Thanks for the help. The guy sold the boat before I could get it. Still has the 4runner. Planning to drive today. Anything extra special to look for? I looked at probably thirty different 80 series before buying (and I did my homework). This time I am kind of going on a whim. Going to check for rust, fluid leaks, etc. Any special places to look for rust? Any suggestions on a place to look at values? No luck on craigslist, ebay, cargurus, autotrader, etc....

Values are best determined by trolling classifieds of marlincrawler, yotatech, Toyota-4runner.org etc.

I don't know of anything special to look for on the first gens...just signs that the HG is okay on the 3.0. Check for rust at the spring hanger area of the frame. Post pics, here, for more feedback.

Any special places to look for rust?

Bottom of the tailgate.
Bottoms of the doors.
Inside the rear quarters.
Pass side frame rail, inside, by the gas tank.

Drop the spare if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom