old mountain bike thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1984 Fisher Mt. Tam. I added a rack and new tires. Hunting for a new seat that doesn't look too modern. The seat it came with is terrible!
15062809838_6055176553_c.jpg

17271622236_c5cae092b0_c.jpg

I just found this thread so I'll post a couple of my old bikes that I still have. I used to race cross country and downhill in the 90's. I had an Intense M1 for downhill but sold that years ago and I had a Schwinn Straight 6 for awhile after that. Those were both great bikes.

I just finished restoring my 1990 Yeti Ultimate. I found some old original parts for the build to get it back to how I first rode it. This has been a very long restoration and the bike has quite the history. The owner of a shop I worked at in the Bay Area in NorCal originally owned it. It was stolen then recovered about a year later. I bought it from him and started racing it. Years later I started racing for Action-Tec and my dad started riding the Ultimate. In 2007 my dad passed away from a heart attack while riding this bike... About a year or two later I striped the bike down and had it powder coated. I slowly started collecting early 90's parts for it and started building it.
Parts list:
Yeti Ultimate frame.
Grafton Mag-Lite brakes.
Grafton cranks.
Phil Wood bottom bracket.
Answer A-Tac stem.
Answer Hyperlite bars.
Flite Titanium seat.
Original Manitou 1 fork.
Chris King hubs with Mavic 231 rims.
Chris King headset.
Ringle skewers
Shimano XT thumb shifters.
Shimano XT rear and Suntour front derailleur (I want to find an XT front)
View attachment 1259837 View attachment 1259838 View attachment 1259839

And this is my Action-Tec team bike from the mid 90's. There were only a dozen or so made for the team. Most of us built them with different parts depending on budget. If I remember right Curtlo made the aluminum frames. The Pro Shock is built by Action-Tec and Canondale copied the design later for their head tube shock. Action-Tec was mostly known for their titanium chainrings, cog sets and bottom brackets.
I sold it to a friend about 15 years ago and got it back from him about 4 years ago. He put the wider riser bars on it and changed out the Grafton Mag-lites for Avid V brakes. Thankfully he still had the Grafton's and I used those on my Yeti Ultimate restoration.
I mostly raced cross country on it but I raced the Mammoth Kamikaze downhill with a 60 tooth front chainring a couple times before getting the Intense M1 for downhill.
View attachment 1259847

That brings back some memories! Your Ultimate is Virtually a clone of mine. I purchased it in 1988-89 and it was frame #U212. I rode that bike all over hell and back. Yours even has the factory repair on the seat post clamp. I also owned and rode an ARC and an ARC Ti. Boy I miss those bikes!

That brings back some memories! Your Ultimate is Virtually a clone of mine. I purchased it in 1988-89 and it was frame #U212. I rode that bike all over hell and back. Yours even has the factory repair on the seat post clamp. I also owned and rode an ARC and an ARC Ti. Boy I miss those bikes!

That's awesome. Mine is frame # U355. I sent it to Yeti for the seat tube repair shortly after I bought it when it was recovered from being stolen in the early 90's.

I love these old bikes! I have a old Gunnar Rockhound that I built up. I don't have any pictures of it but it is simply an amazing bike. I cringe when i think of what i will have to replace it with inorder to get a better bike. I think Gunnar said it is a 1996ish frame, still has the 27.0mm seat post before they went to the standard 27.2mm. I built it up with older 9 speed XTR group, 952 I think. SID forks, carbon bars, Ti bolts everywhere, hand built wheels using DT Swiss 240s hubs, Ti egg beaters. I just had a rear disk mount welded on so now I am running disks both front and back. Last time I weight it I was around 21 pounds! I cant imagine what I would spend for a 21 pound steel frame hard tail with XTR group on it. Hell, I hate to think about what I DID SPEND building this thing over the years. But at least it was done over years and I spread the cost out. Love the bike, it is one of my prized possessions!

PS, this is a old picture I found from several years ago. Since the picture I have upgraded the rear deraliller to a newer XTR, Thomson seat post, and added the read disk brake.

Last edited:
forgot this thread but i have an addition. early 1980s raleigh bighorn. i remember looking at these in the showroom at west point cycle next to the ritcheys and stumpjumpers when that was all there was and this was only slightly cheaper. basically a raleigh road bike with some accessories to make it look like an mtb. 12 speed, awful centre pull brakes and a belgian wheelset.

anyway, a friend had this all rotted in his garage so i fixed it up for the boy to use as his college campus commuter and added some junk out of my old parts box. very little use under all the dust, but still a fairly terrible bike best suited to very flat roads. it took forever to get the brakes dialled in because of the inherent play.

IMG_0949 1.JPG

My single speed is an old Trek 7000. It belonged to a friend’s brother, then my friend acquired it, then he passed in on to another friend who raced on it a few years, then he passed it on to me. I think everyone of the ‘P.O.’s have bomb-canned it a different color. I painted it Caterpillar yellow when I first got it, then just prior to SSWC 2014, I blasted and painted it Yeti green. I call it the Yeti 7000 now. I flew it up to Alaska for the Single Speed Worlds, I should have just flew up there with a singulator and bought a bike at a thrift store for the event.

Yeti 7000.JPG

And my daily commuter is a 1994 Purple and Silver Balance AL-150. My first mountain bike that my wife got me for Xmas in 1995. It now sports a rack, panniers, front pizza rack, lights and of course a bell.

P1040881.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, have 3 of them. The one in the background is the new 29r. It rides fantastic too. Chris signed it in front of the seat tube!

I'm surprised, no Rocky Mountain bikes. I've got my 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer and a
1996 Rocky Mountain Instinct which was one of their first suspension with disc brake bikes. I don't
have any pics here though. Have to wait until I get home.

View attachment 1319760 I recently Picked up this beauty for 30 bucks on Craigslist. Mostly original.
No Offence Anastasio but if you can not see the waves (Little ones on that spot in Santa Cruz) on or go rock climbing to the indoor gym next door in your lunch break is not a "Original" is just another trek 930 (Great frame actually, true temper cromolly main triangle) with a unified wishbone made by a seven head consequential TIG welder in about 17 seconds (Diminish warpage, incredible technology)..

i still have the frame of my old trek 930 hanging from my garage ceiling. made in 'merica.

i still have the frame of my old trek 930 hanging from my garage ceiling. made in 'merica.
They are very good frames, the lugged frames where a little to heavy and "Death" but from 1994 to about 2002 Wow, that true temper tubing is no joke, double butted, thin wall, the whole thing s a serious machine, specially the 990, 10 years before you will need to buy a Ritchey to get that kind of quality ride...

Personally I have a lot of respect for Keith Bontrager (Since I read his "Set up" instructions in about 1988, just brilliant combination and nano details, plus historically he did some incredible stuff for the sport) at the time of perfectly painted Klein's, mountain goats, even Yo-eddys, his "Race lights" where "Ugly" kind of unporpuse, I ask him, he never really answer, his production TIG welders say "OH no es que a el no le Importa" (five chubby dudes from Mejico, really cool and so so funny, plus a few gringos too)

Grumpy Mofo but he soften up when you get to know him (you need to prove your self to him to hear his respect) for that very reason I became a dealer of his bikes and sold a few of them but sincerely I never like they way they handle (Under steer, even with the special rake forks) plus that wishbone was great in terms of stiffness, but you butt got pounded to hard) so I stop and even offer refunds to my clients (Used to have a "all out satisfaction" shop in Bogota Colombia)

Today, I have absolutely no respect for the trek products (even if I have a few of his bikes, then again I have 35 bikes) I just have to many "jobless" friends thank to the corporate attitude, Klein too, F$#@&$)

No Offence Anastasio but if you can not see the waves (Little ones on that spot in Santa Cruz) on or go rock climbing to the indoor gym next door in your lunch break is not a "Original" is just another trek 930 (Great frame actually, true temper cromolly main triangle) with a unified wishbone made by a seven head consequential TIG welder in about 17 seconds (Diminish warpage, incredible technology)..
No offense taken. Thank you for the knowledge.

I
No offense taken. Thank you for the knowledge.
If you Where to wrap that frame in plastic bags and give rides to the cream of the crap of "VC" (vintage/classics world) I bet you more than half of them with place it amongs the best frames they have ever tried (truetemper OX III is no freaking joke)

(personally like them better than the real OR lite's)

I

If you Where to wrap that frame in plastic bags and give rides to the cream of the crap of "VC" (vintage/classics world) I bet you more than half of them with place it amongs the best frames they have ever tried (truetemper OX III is no freaking joke)

(personally like them better than the real OR lite's)
I must agree, it's pretty rigid and holds up my big Clydesdale ass on the trail. Thanks again patineto.

I must agree, it's pretty rigid and holds up my big Clydesdale ass on the trail. Thanks again patineto.

Took me 30 years to learn about 'poop' on skateboards, I just like some boards and not others, snowboards, bicycle are the same thing...

Rigidity is somehow easy to achieve, what is difficult is a frame that is 'a life' a dances with you, yes they are not many but they exist and they are magic to ride (fat chance Yo eddy as the best example)

Lot of great steel frames still being produced, and not just by custom builders. For instance, 9'r offers the SIR 9 that's a great mix of Reynolds 853 for the frame and 631 for the head tube so tapered forks can be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom