LX470 or LX570, the agony... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would appreciate some thoughts on this one. Originally in hunt for a 4th gen 4R Limited, but just too hard to get a clean one. And they are usually overpriced, sell very quickly, and the ones left over are rusted/abused.

So been looking at LX470, GX470, and now entertaining a LX570.

Pretty much ruled out the GX470 b/c I can't get over the rear swing door.

Test drove a 2003 LX470 with 118k miles. Quite the truck, great ride, and comfy. Seemed a little poky though, and somewhat dated (but not a bad thing)...

Today wife and I drove a 2009 LX570 w/85k miles. Seems much more updated in the interior/exterior. Major difference in the interior, lots of tech, very luxurious; really like the front/side/rear cameras, and drove very nimbly in the city. Due to the cameras, I found the LX570 very easy to park and drive in the city. Definitely a lot more power and oomp in the 570. This one comes with a 2yr power train warranty. Wife really likes the 570 (she has a RX330 that has been super reliable).

Question is the LX570 worth the price over the LX470? LX570 is about twice the price compared to the LX470. Is it worth it? Does anyone have owned both or have extensive seat time in either one? Decisions....

Last edited:
I own both and love my 200 Land Cruiser more. I was extremely skeptical at first. But it is more comfortable to drive, faster, and seems just as reliable/robust as the 100 (in some ways even better). I believe its worth the extra $$$.

*DISCLAIMER* I've not owned both but, I have shopped both. We have a 570.

The 470 is nice....but...the 570 is a lot nicer. I believe the engine is well worth the upgrade. The interior quite a bit better as well. The tech though, well, the tech is going to feel dated no matter which you jump into.

The 470 can have the AHC hacked with a module sold by @sleeoffroad. You could even remove all of the AHC components if you wanted to fully customise. The 570 is in no way ready for that kind of treatment and I don't know if it ever will be.

Really depends on what you want. I'd recommend the 570.

*DISCLAIMER* I've not owned both but, I have shopped both. We have a 570.

The 470 is nice....but...the 570 is a lot nicer. I believe the engine is well worth the upgrade. The interior quite a bit better as well. The tech though, well, the tech is going to feel dated no matter which you jump into.

The 470 can have the AHC hacked with a module sold by @sleeoffroad. You could even remove all of the AHC components if you wanted to fully customise. The 570 is in no way ready for that kind of treatment and I don't know if it ever will be.

Really depends on what you want. I'd recommend the 570.

We have a 570 and owned a 100 series Land Cruiser, with a couple friends owning 470s. The 470 is closer to the utilitarian Land Cruiser origin. Again, depends on what you want. 570 engine is much more powerful, with an interior that is more refined. Both are capable. 200 series feels nothing like the 80 while the 100 series is a blend between the two.

The 100 is great if you can find a clean one, the 200 is just more refined in every way.

Both are great, just depends on your budget and truck availability.

Currently have a 570, had a '03 470 for many years. The 570 feels more "truck" like - more power, larger, firmer seats, louder engine. The ride in the 570 is quite a bit firmer, maybe due to the 20" wheels.

From underneath the 570 is significantly beefier. The additional power is nice, and especially noticeable on the highway compared to the 470. There is a cost though, as the 5.7L is noticeably less refined than the 4.7L.

The 470 is more like a soft luxury car - very smooth engine, soft suspension, soft seats. Lots more body roll in turns if that bothers you.

I'd give a slight edge in interior quality to the 470. But the 570 interior is heads and shoulders above in terms of technology and design.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, both are great trucks. Never had any problems with the 470 in over 200k miles, and expect the same from the 570.

I had a 470 and liked the 570 a lot when we were shopping for one. I didn't like the AHC in the 470 and the same goes for the 570, so I was turned off by the fact you can't rip it out of the newer ones. So instead, I got myself a 200 LC with a standard suspension and love it!

If you can afford it, I believe the newer 200 series is worth the premium from the 100 series. From road handling attributes and the extra power, it was all an upgrade to me... besides the looks. Gotta give that to the later model LX470's. ;)

What are the issues of removing the AHC suspension from an LX570?

According to Slee, and a few others, AHC is more tightly coupled into the other electronic handling systems on the truck. No one has decoupled it yet, that I've read of. That said, the apparent build quality of the AHC on the 570 is leaps beyond the 470, as you would expect from Toyota's evolutionary refinement process.

Thanks, if anybody has specifics, that would be great! The only LX570's I know of that has been decoupled, are JT Racing's 2 LX570's (now Canguro's). But obviously that is/was a race truck and features like VSC and ABS aren't needed.

Thanks, if anybody has specifics, that would be great! The only LX570's I know of that has been decoupled, are JT Racing's 2 LX570's (now Canguro's). But obviously that is/was a race truck and features like VSC and ABS aren't needed.

I think this is its own thread all together. There are many folks who love the LX appeal that still want to more serious with their suspension.

To the OP, have you and the family made a decision yet?

Doc get the 570. We had a 100 LC AND a LX470, great machines. But the 200 series is much improved. We have a 200 LC and a LX570. If you are not going to wheel, get the 570. We built and wheel our 200LC, and leave the 570 for the kids and road trips.

Good luck, Doc.

I own both. A 2000 lx470 and a 2015 lx570. The lx570 is great, so great that I have been looking to replace the LX 470 with an older lx570. When loaded up the extra power on the highway is great.

Doc get the 570. We had a 100 LC AND a LX470, great machines. But the 200 series is much improved. We have a 200 LC and a LX570. If you are not going to wheel, get the 570. We built and wheel our 200LC, and leave the 570 for the kids and road trips.

Good luck, Doc.

Well, I did it. I picked up the 2009 LX570 over the weekend. Traded in the Acura TL, which btw was a POS (needed a new engine at 50k miles and new tranny at 25k). The LX570 has 83k miles and came with a Lexus 2yr/100k mile power train warranty. This car looked and smelled brand new which is astonishing considered most of the 4Runnners/LX470 seemed like they led a hard life. This one was serviced at the Lexus dealership and good records. Spent most of its life in Nevada and 1 year in Washington state, so rust is not an issue. Wife and I are pretty stoked. This is going to be my DD and our family's road trip vehicle. Will also take this SUV fishing and to ski trips.

I was pretty much sold when my wife and I first test drove and saw the vehicle in person. The interior improvements in the LX570 is astonishing compared to the LX470. Really like the tech and wood trim all around; the interior decor is luxurious and techy at the same time. My daughter loves the heated rear seats and having her own a/c and heat control. Drive is very smooth, the engine is powerful and accelerates very briskly (so much more than the LX470 which would barely move). Chassis is solid, no squeaks or creaks. The electronic folding 3rd row seats is probably overkill, but nice to have option.

Only thing I need to do is hack the nav motion lockout which is a bit annoying... and probably add HID lights.

Compared to my former Acura TL, the TL was a piece of junk lol.

My LX570 is missing the DVD remote/headphones, wheel lock, and has a worn ECT switch and failed aux port cover spring that the dealership agreed to remedy.

I'll try and post pics later on.

The remote and headphones you can pick up on eBay. The wheel lock you can order from McGard @ Wheel Locks

Not sure if the dealer is covering both the switch and the aux port cover. If not, just find the part number and do a quick search. If you need help part numbers just ask and folks will jump in.

Congrats!!

**Edited because I'm tired and cannot spel...l... and all that**

Last edited:
Congrats Doc! The 570 is a beast and will give you years of luxury travel in style. Enjoy in good health.

Well, I did it. I picked up the 2009 LX570 over the weekend. Traded in the Acura TL, which btw was a POS (needed a new engine at 50k miles and new tranny at 25k). The LX570 has 83k miles and came with a Lexus 2yr/100k mile power train warranty. This car looked and smelled brand new which is astonishing considered most of the 4Runnners/LX470 seemed like they led a hard life. This one was serviced at the Lexus dealership and good records. Spent most of its life in Nevada and 1 year in Washington state, so rust is not an issue. Wife and I are pretty stoked. This is going to be my DD and our family's road trip vehicle. Will also take this SUV fishing and to ski trips.

I was pretty much sold when my wife and I first test drove and saw the vehicle in person. The interior improvements in the LX570 is astonishing compared to the LX470. Really like the tech and wood trim all around; the interior decor is luxurious and techy at the same time. My daughter loves the heated rear seats and having her own a/c and heat control. Drive is very smooth, the engine is powerful and accelerates very briskly (so much more than the LX470 which would barely move). Chassis is solid, no squeaks or creaks. The electronic folding 3rd row seats is probably overkill, but nice to have option.

Only thing I need to do is hack the nav motion lockout which is a bit annoying... and probably add HID lights.

Compared to my former Acura TL, the TL was a piece of junk lol.

My LX570 is missing the DVD remote/headphones, wheel lock, and has a worn ECT switch and failed aux port cover spring that the dealership agreed to remedy.

I'll try and post pics later on.

Just wondering if you can still wrench easily on a landcruiser 200? What I liked with the lx470 is even if something happen i can always bring out the tools and fix it on the spot.

My bmw needs to be always hooked to a conputer to diagnose anything and some of tge systems font have a limp mode ... which means i gotta call a tow truck if that happens.

Currently have a 570, had a '03 470 for many years. The 570 feels more "truck" like - more power, larger, firmer seats, louder engine. The ride in the 570 is quite a bit firmer, maybe due to the 20" wheels.

From underneath the 570 is significantly beefier. The additional power is nice, and especially noticeable on the highway compared to the 470. There is a cost though, as the 5.7L is noticeably less refined than the 4.7L.

The 470 is more like a soft luxury car - very smooth engine, soft suspension, soft seats. Lots more body roll in turns if that bothers you.

I'd give a slight edge in interior quality to the 470. But the 570 interior is heads and shoulders above in terms of technology and design.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, both are great trucks. Never had any problems with the 470 in over 200k miles, and expect the same from the 570.

I agree 100% with this. We’ve had 3 470, and current have a 2000 and a 2004. We also have a 2014 570. The 470 is a much more solid rig.

Just wondering if you can still wrench easily on a landcruiser 200? What I liked with the lx470 is even if something happen i can always bring out the tools and fix it on the spot.

My bmw needs to be always hooked to a conputer to diagnose anything and some of tge systems font have a limp mode ... which means i gotta call a tow truck if that happens.

A 200 is an incremental increase in computer controls but nowhere near a BMW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom