2H Diesel into 1975 FJ40 (Build Thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Left and right sides are always determined with respect to the operator sitting in the vehicle. Lhd or rhd is irrelevant.
Well, I was mainly referring to the fact if I changed my position around the car, left and right would switch. But if it's the exhaust side of the engine you're talking about, then that part number is: 12315-68020

Minor update: waiting on rear engine seal. I ordered the wrong seal :doh:

Anyways. I took the opportunity to paint the engine bay a semi-matching color to the exterior.

Here is a picture with my last coat if the heat insulator stuff. (I brushed it on to try and smooth it out.) It came out well, but it will make the paint uneven, I don't necessarily mind.
VZM.IMG_20161008_215350.jpg

While I'm at it, why not sand and paint the sides?
VZM.IMG_20161010_184708.jpg

VZM.IMG_20161010_184647.jpg

Update time!

I placed the engine into the newly refurbished engine bay and got it all nice and situated. It's a snug fit. I also replaced rear main seal and got the clutch replaced, flywheel resurfaced.

I ordered a marine fuel/water separator and mounted it to the battery tray holder like the old F motor fuel filter holder. I also rebuilt the fuel line and have routed a hard line from the tank to just before the fuel separator. I then connected all of that with new fuel line and clamped it down. Rather proud of the water separator placement.

DSC_1974.JPG

DSC_1999.JPG

I changed design from this one, mounted it to the outside.

DSC_2001.JPG

It has good hand clearance from the oil filter and is good distance to the pump.
DSC_2002.JPG

If you have any questions, feel free to ask any.

Blue and yellow eh! I'm pretty sure charles manson use to drive the same color scheme. It takes all kinds of people to make this world go around. Sweet drive line though.

great build !

looking good! my previous 45 had a 2H in her. great motor, very torquey. didnt have the H55 behind it and always felt it needed that 5th gear, so im sure you will enjoy it. one thing i did have in mine was the diffs out of a HJ60, think they were 4.11 (some one corret me pls if wrong, which i probably am ;) ) and they helped the 2H handle on tar driving really well. would def recommend getting them if you have a 2H in your 40. just my 0.02.

looking great and keep it coming :)

I think that 4,11 ratio is from an bj40 / 42 / 45 (4 cilynder) , the hj and fj (6 cilynder) 3,66 ratio and 4,88 ratio the bj73 with vm engine

Last edited:
Update time! Sorry everyone for being reclusive! Got some funding from side jobs (restoring another cruiser) and more pictures will be here!

Got my transmission and realized that I have a good amount of mock up and fitting to be done with my transmission tunnel
full

The common 5-speed cover is easily 3 inches further down than the original 4-speed, and then also higher up than the 4-speed (Because of engine mounts. Anyways. Going to focus on something else, the powersteering. I got a steering box by trading a Hi-Lift Jack to fellow mud-user. It was in pretty rough shape.
full

I took it apart and rebuilt it, because well, it was needing it (has not leaked so far.)
full

And it got a good scrubbing, degreasing and then rust preventing black paint
full

The gear box was still fitted to a cut section of the frame when I received it. So I decided a plate from the donor frame was the best and cut and shaped it with light modification to my current frame. I really did hate cutting into my fender and everything, but it was needed.
full

full

full

All of this was painted and protected after I finished the fitting.

Last edited:
Engine mounts for the 2H motors were in the front of the engine and then the transmission mount (instead of the original bell housing mounts). So I got some 1/8" cold rolled steel for fabricating the L-bracket.

Blow torch was not cutting it, so I had to upgrade it to a home-made furnace. (I have a background in metallurgy, so I know what I'm doing.)

full

full

Trust me. I know what I'm doing, hairdryer and all (Melted my exhaust pipe tip) :hillbilly:

Anyways, here's the exact result of the heating and bending
full

I then did a heat treat (a normalization, then another heat up, then an oil quench. I tested it with a hammer (no deformations now, and wasn't brittle.) I then took it to a friend's and he used his argon mig welder (I just got flux-wire. Gave him a tall bottle of El Jimador Tequila for his troubles.) to do supports on each side and I had brackets.

I got the cross-member from the HJ60 and I cut it and welded the ends of the cross member closed, then sanded, treated, and painted in rust proof paint.

full

full

full

The holes aren't symmetrical when mounting it to the frame, but dammit four better be redundant and the plate (bolt-through frame) will just add more strength. Went with the grade 8 allen bolts)

With the transmission now no longer on jacks or stands, I can roll the car around and began to work on the front end, so I scored a Donaldson air filter for $15 on eBay (Shipping was $10). And I decided to make a nice mount for it, so out came the cardboard and I began fabricating and shaping the bracket. I think it came out rather nice.

full

I also scored a new Brake booster and master cylinder from the HJ60, they were brand spanking new.
full

full

With the transmission now no longer on jacks or stands, I can roll the car around and began to work on the front end, so I scored a Donaldson air filter for $15 on eBay (Shipping was $10). And I decided to make a nice mount for it, so out came the cardboard and I began fabricating and shaping the bracket. I think it came out rather nice.

full

full

full

True CAD work (cardboard aided design)(thanks to SBG for this terminology). Looks good.

Don

Any updates on this build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom