Hot drivers feet? This may be your fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mentioned it way back a few years ago but never tried it. Instead I applied a few coats of rubber PlastiDip to reinforce the thin rubber of a new seal. It's still in good shape four years later.

Looks like I will return it and get OEM. In the picture of the aftermarket one it shows what looks to be a thin black seal, but the one I received does not have any rubber on it at all. Seems like dirt will get into the rotating part of it likely causing noises, etc. Thx

Did the bryke racing one. Ended up going with a OEM rubber one. It squealed a lot. I even soaked the bearing in motor oil before I installed it.

Did the bryke racing one. Ended up going with a OEM rubber one. It squealed a lot. I even soaked the bearing in motor oil before I installed it.

I guess I'm lucky. I also went with the Bryke Racing one, and it did squeak when I turned the wheel for a few days after installing, but then the squeak went away completely. YMMV

Ordered an OEM one today. Will have it tomorrow. $12.

Sent from my iPhone

anyone have any issues separating the steering coupling? cannot separate it to replace seal

just did this yesterday.... the bolts that go into the rubber disk... i followed the directions and took those out, but was that really necessary? seems like all you really need is the bolts/nuts going into the joint, and the single clamp bolt going in behind the rubber disk...

it was quite easy... took the opportunity to do the gear in my drivers seat at the same time... and also to lube up the steering column because i was getting that loud in cabin squeak when it got cold

3 things in one short afternoon, was feeling pretty good about myself after that...

anyone have any issues separating the steering coupling? cannot separate it to replace seal
once you take the bolts out it should slide down enough to just fold the joint out of the way... once you do that the lower part of the joint (the rubber disk part) should just slide right off the shaft, leaving a bare shaft to unbolt your seal and slide off, slide the new one on...

once you take the bolts out it should slide down enough to just fold the joint out of the way... once you do that the lower part of the joint (the rubber disk part) should just slide right off the shaft, leaving a bare shaft to unbolt your seal and slide off, slide the new one on...

Ohhh I never took the bolts out. Only undid the nuts. Was there a easy way to remove the two bolts? I did try a g clamp but got the s***s and gave up in the end.
Thanks for your help

Ohhh I never took the bolts out. Only undid the nuts. Was there a easy way to remove the two bolts? I did try a g clamp but got the s***s and gave up in the end.
Thanks for your help
yea man, once you undo the nuts the bolts just slide out... hit 'em with the end of your wrench they'll fall right out... might be a little bound up in there preventing them from falling out...

Glad to find this post, feels like a blow drier all weekend.

My fix with a piece of cardboard cut to size with a slit to fit over the steering shaft then wrapped in almn. ducting tape is still working almost a year later. It's not a perfect repair but for zero dollars since I had both items laying around it's better than getting blasted with hot air going down the freeway.

My fix with a piece of cardboard cut to size with a slit to fit over the steering shaft then wrapped in almn. ducting tape is still working almost a year later. It's not a perfect repair but for zero dollars since I had both items laying around it's better than getting blasted with hot air going down the freeway.

I used a floor matting in place of your cardboard as temp fix until OEM part was obtained. Needed a seal like now as diesel exhaust was invading the cab when I purchased it.

Done! That was way easier than I expected :). It was a well needed fix :eek:

20161022_175057.jpg

I had always figured the heat was radiating from the transmission. Guess I'll have to give this a try!

Does anyone know the torque spec for the steering shaft bolt, and the the seal to body bolts too?

I need to do this. Have two sitting in my parts bin waiting to be installed...

I need to do this. Have two sitting in my parts bin waiting to be installed...
Goes quick once you start. With the Cummins the CCV tube is right under it and sitting in traffic with the windows up in the winter I would get a nice diesel smell in the cab. I think I waited a year with it sitting on the bench before I got around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom