Calling all 1KZT-E owners! Turbo info needed (pics included) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdtoyotaowner.com
I'm currently in Spain and may buy an LJ73/R150F that has a 3.0L 1KZT-E swapped in. Stock rig, no aftermarket except 32" tires.

I drove it and I can barely feel any turbo "push" at all. Wondering if that is normal for this engine? I've never driven a 1KZT-E before.

With the language barrier it's a bit difficult to communicate some questions.

He says the turbo is good. The truck has an intercooler system plumbed in. No idea if he has done anything to adjust boost, fuel tuning, etc. Exhaust looks to be stock, no big dump pipes or any 3" tubing, etc.

Truck has almost no visible smoke from exhaust. Engine runs super smoothly.

I've driven a turbo 2H and although quite a different animal (6-cyl, 4.0L), I could feel the turbo hit on that rig.

I did notice the tach was not functioning and the green and red "Turbo" lights did not illuminate while driving.

I know this is a small 4-cyl engine, and probably a small turbo. Just wondering from 1KZT-E owners how much I should be noticing the turbo once it spools up and goes. Thanks all,

Dave

2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000019.jpg

2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000020.jpg

2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000023.jpg

2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000024.jpg

2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000029.jpg

As a former 1kzte owner, yes you should feel the turbo coming in at around 2200rpm. There is obviously an intercooler fitted, any boostleaks from the piping?
Could easily be a little hose that came off so the ecu doesn't compensate the boost with extra fuel. Hard to say from a distance really...

Thanks for the replies! It didn't run out of steam, it just felt like a NA rig. No boost, no rush, just a slow and steady acceleration. I'm not expecting a Ferrari-like blast, but then again...just not sure about this.

I just took a better look at the pictures. Are you sure it's a 1kzte and not a 1kzt? Looks like i can see a boost compensator below the intake manifold. In that case it's a 1kz-t. No electronics to worry about. Can you see if there is a vacuum like hose from somewhere in the intake tract to the boost compensator?

Yup it certainly looks like the rare 1KZ-T... Well in most parts of the world. Came out in Europe. They are not as grunty as the 1KZTE.
The electronic pumps -TE are a bit better as compared to a "stock" -T.
But at least with this one you can tweak the pump and boost without any of the electronics shutting it down.
Put a boost gauge on it and see what it is boosting. Should be setup to hit 14 to 15 psi. Can be set to 20 but wouldn't go much more as factory turbo's start to loose efficiency and just turn into hot air guns.

Well well well...it may indeed be a 1KZT, not TE...here are pics of a -TE, and you can see the wiring going to the glow plug bar (Pre-heat I think) that mine does not have....thoughts? Anyway I'm away from truck and I'll check for the location of the ECU.

1KZ-TE TB.JPG

DSCN5735copy.jpg

Hello,

I did some checking on the 1KZ-T engine power curve and found something interesting.

The torque curve reaches 343 N m at 1500 rpm and stays flat until 2400 rpm. Maximum power is 96 kW (138 HP) at 3600 rpm.

1KZ-TE Specs.jpg

From my experience, diesel engines with flat torque curves, regardless of the turbo, do not have a noticeable kick when reaching maximum torque. But it might be just my perception.

If installed properly, the ECU should be inside the dash, above the glove box.

Hope this helps.

Juan

EDIT: These numbers remind me of the 1PZ engine, which accelerates smoothly to maximum torque, no kick involved.

Last edited:
Euro spec 1kzt and 1kzte both had the same torque and power figures. 92kW (125hp) and 295 Nm torque. No factory intercooler where the 343Nm version did have one. Gotta love Toyota and their different specs for different markets...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom