Cylinder #3 misfire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a misfire on cylinder #3.

More specifically, the ODB reader says: P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected.

Is it easy to replace the coil and/or spark plug? Which cylinder is #3? Third one back on the drivers side?

Thank you,

Phil

cylinder.jpg

Unbelievabley easy. It takes longer to take the cover off than it does to replace the coil

Thank you! Cover is off.

I can see the coils. I just need to know which one is cylinder #3.

Anyone know?

Thank you,

Phil

google

:D

0900c152802618f0.gif

drivers side, second coil back.

8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1

Spressomon beat me to it...

I want to thank everyone for their quick response.

I switch coils from cylinder 1 and 3. Off to auto parts store to clear the codes and then get the problems to appear again. If it says Cylinder 1, then we know it is the coil.

I learned it from this guy...

I will report back.

Phil

You guys are awesome. That was it.

New coil in and car is running great.

Typically, you will feel a slight hesitation from idle to gentle acceleration when the truck is cold when you have a coil pack starting to go bad. Buy an extra and keep it handy. Also, get a code scanner so you don't have to depend on parts store to scan and clear the codes.

Typically, you will feel a slight hesitation from idle to gentle acceleration when the truck is cold when you have a coil pack starting to go bad. Buy an extra and keep it handy. Also, get a code scanner so you don't have to depend on parts store to scan and clear the codes.

I was actually going to buy a spare part and keep it around. Especially since they are much cheaper online. By the way, a mechanic charged me $242 to replace one of these once!

I saw in the video the guy had an ODB scanner that connected to his android phone. Do they make something like this for the iPhone? Is it as good or even better than the ODB scanner at the parts store?

Thanks,

Phil

Yes, OBD2 apps are available for the iPhone. Go to the App Store and take your pick. You'll need a Bluetooth adapter to the port too. I prefer my Scangauge II because it's hooked up all the time and my phone is used otherwise in the LC.

Yes, OBD2 apps are available for the iPhone. Go to the App Store and take your pick. You'll need a Bluetooth adapter to the port too. I prefer my Scangauge II because it's hooked up all the time and my phone is used otherwise in the LC.

I also use a ScanGauge II hooked up all the time to monitor the truck plus it has the OBD II scan tool built in. No more relying on parts store to diagnose and clear codes. Local to me in NC, parts stores won't clear codes, only scan and give them to you.

FWIW Jegs a month ago had a killer deal on Denso new coil packs for our 2UZ-FE for $50.99, free shipping and no tax (these are OEM equivalent...be warned you can by cheaper ala hecho en china but buy several because you'll probably need them ;)).

At 250k miles I've had two of my original coil packs go south...one was when I was in Eugene so it was merely an inconvenience. The other, about 6-weeks ago, when I was in the middle of nowhere Nevada. Note to self: Don't procrastinate putting needed spare parts in the spressoWAGON before they're needed :D

Fwiw, amazon carries the OE Denso coils for about. $55 shipped. I carry a spare after losing 2 last year.

I have a small misfire. Just notified it. No dash lights yet. If I plug in to the reader will it show a code yet or will I need to wait until it gets worse?

Have a new coil ready just don't know where it goes!

I have a small misfire. Just notified it. No dash lights yet. If I plug in to the reader will it show a code yet or will I need to wait until it gets worse?

Have a new coil ready just don't know where it goes!

My truck never throws a code until the coil completely falls. Depending on how much you drive, probably will fall about 1000 miles after you notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom