Axles questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm restoring a 1965 FJ40. I have a set of axles from a 1970 and one from 1973 and the one on the car 1965.
The 70 and 73 were park for the last 20 years. And the 1965 was driven until last year.
So my question is: should I use the 70 or 73 since the have lest miles on them? O the fact that they were siting for 20 years is not good, so better to use the 65?

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm restoring a 1965 FJ40. I have a set of axles from a 1970 and one from 1973 and the one on the car 1965.
The 70 and 73 were park for the last 20 years. And the 1965 was driven until last year.
So my question is: should I use the 70 or 73 since the have lest miles on them? O the fact that they were siting for 20 years is not good, so better to use the 65?

Thanks

What are you going to be doing with the 40? The 65 axle is ball and claw and considerably weaker for offloading. It also uses 9mm brake fittings that are different than the 70 or 73. If you are planning on a disc conversion, the later axles would be my choice but you'd have to adapt your brake lines.

What are you going to be doing with the 40? The 65 axle is ball and claw and considerably weaker for offloading. It also uses 9mm brake fittings that are different than the 70 or 73. If you are planning on a disc conversion, the later axles would be my choice but you'd have to adapt your brake lines.
It will be a summer driving car. Don't tink we use it for offroad. So any difference on the 70 or 73?
Thanks

One more ? I found a late 70ish front axel with disc brakes. Can I use this axle in the front and use the 73 in the back or they both have to be the same year?

Thanks

late and early can be interchanged.

But you will need to address the brake lines and the Pinion flanges (they will likely be a different bolt pattern)

Multiple vendors sell the conversion pinion flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom